Krabi Hotels

johnsurin

Hi all, I tried posting this in the Krabi forum but have had little response thus far, so I am repeating it here to try to get a broader audience.

I am planning to fly down to Krabi for a few days when I arrive in Thailand about October 22nd, before heading up country to Surin. I have not been down there before so I am asking for some information about hotels and nightlife. The nightlife doesn't have to be anything wild, just a few places to go apart from being stuck in the one hotel. I plan on hiring a car from the airport if this is possible, and driving to wherever the hotel is and touring around for a couple of days and also renting a boat for a day to tour the islands. I will be coming with my wife and 3 year old son, but I also like a drink (nothing wrong with that), and deserve one after being stuck in Iraq, and don't want to be stuck in a remote location. So my questions are:

1. Can I hire a car from the airport and what type?

2. Ideally I would like a hotel right on the beach and willing to pay upto about 7000 Baht, but can pay more if need to. Which hotels can anyone recommend?

3. Which is the best beach in Krabi (white sands and scenic views), and is there any nightlife or ways to get where there is, rather than being stuck in one location.

4. What will the weather be like this time of the year.

5. Can I rent a boat (driver included), this time of year to tour the islands and best place to do this.

I have checked Asiarooms and Agoda but would like first hand information by Thaivisa members. Any help and recommendations are greatly appreciated and please give as much explanation or ask any questions you like.

John.....

1. I don’t think you can rent a car from the airport, but I could be wrong.

You can rent some in Ao Nang.

I just rented a motorbike for 150 Baht a day to putt around on.

2. I always stay at Wanna’s Place. I recommend that you tell them that you want a bungalow near the front (if you get one in the back, that walk up the humid hill from hel_l is a bastard!).

http://www.wannasplace.com/index_e.htm

Bars, restaurants, and alittle sidewalk shopping are right next door, and the beach is right out front.

3. I think Railey is the best beach there, but if you stay there you are pretty much a captive audience since the only way in and out is by boat.

But, if you stay at Ao Nang you have more choices, and Railey is only a 5 minute boat ride away.

4. Nice but alittle rainy.

5. Yes, no problem. Just make sure there is no rain around.

The first time we went on an island tour, we rented a long-tail boat from the beach in front of Wanna’s Place. Got about halfway to the first island and the heavens opened up.

The captain was steering the boat with his legs and trying to use a bucket to battle the rising water. I really thought we were going down, it was that bad….and all that with a hangover.

The second time we rented a speedboat from the travel agent right next to Wanna’s.

Got into a storm on the way back from the last stop….rough ride, one of the girls spewed when we got back to shore, I thought it was a lot of fun….those Jack Daniels & Coke’s probably had a helping hand in that.

If you go to Nancy’s bar next door to Wanna’s, say hello to Ban, and tell him that Ryan & Ann said for him to give you a discount on drinks.

Enjoy,

Ryan (Poe)

Former Iraq contractor.

:)

You can rent a car from the airport from National, Avis or Budget - they all have counters.

But if you are going to Railey beach (which is the best) then you don't need a car because it is only accessable by boat.

If you stay in Ao Nang, you can get a car and long tail boat around to Railey for the day as there is not much nightlife there.

Ao Nang has some small bars and restuarants.

Hotels - there are loads to choose from in your budget you will get something good.

Not sure about the weather and boat hire try a normal travel agent in Ao Nang, but I am nt sure if they just arrange group tours rather than private hire