Gareth Southgate's Rant

coxhoedave

Steve McLaren took over the Boro in 2001 and it has to be said he did a half decent job. Not only did he win their first ever silverware in 2004 when they lifted the League Cup but also guided them through 2 UEFA cup campaigns, even reaching the final in 2006. Boro were seen as a good, hard to beat Premier League outfit.

After the UEFA final McLaren left and in came Southgate. It was seen as a great appointment, he was hardworking, skillful, intelligent, articulate, Gareth seemed to have it all.

However have not worked out so well and after some horrendous work in the transfer market the Boro dropped out of the top flight last season. Maybe it's because of the man's popularity that Boro faithful still didn't call for his head.

After a promising Championship start it began to go wrong when they were routed 5-0 by West Brom and some voices of discontent were heard from the Boro faithful.

Southgate's response in today's Guardian was in parts staggering!!!

"Clearly my relationship with some supporters has changed. I have my own feeling on that but I'll keep them to myself. The modern way seems to be that if you're drawing at half-time you get booed off and if you lose at full-time you're booed off."

All of which is fair enough but he sounded ridiculous when he blamed the plethora of internet forums and radio phone-ins devoted to football for making supporters over-critical. "Everyone has an opinion now," said the manager, who has been savagely constructed online, in print and on the airwaves. "It's opinion without accountability."

OF COURSE PEOPLE TALK AND HAVE OPINIONS YOU T**T. If there was no such interest how the hel_l do you think you ended up a multi millionare.

Maybe, just maybe the voices of discontent to do with where you are taking Boro!!!

Fairdly do's Dave....! :)

Tough post though, seems to have cut off his nose there. He and his Mrs get their hair done at my best pals salon, seems a really decent bloke but, I wouldn't want him managing my team.

redrus

Tough post though, seems to have cut off his nose there. He and his Mrs get their hair done at my best pals salon, seems a really decent bloke but, I wouldn't want him managing my team.

I don't think he could manage your mates Salon either :D

Hahaha, can he have a job at Ciddy.....! :D

redrus

Yep. Manager of the bogg's. In the away end obviously and he can cover the pan lids with itching powder on Derby day :D

Fairdly do's Dave....! :D

Yep. Manager of the bogg's. In the away end obviously and he can cover the pan lids with itching powder on Derby day :D

Yeah, with any luck you'll be playing Derby next year.....!!!!! :)

redrus

• 2 weeks later...

He made a wise decision in signing Leroy Lita on a free from Reading though.

It was my misfortune to be at the Reading v Boro game 2 weeks ago.

Here are the unfortunate stats:

He scores a great goal against us and plays a blinder.

The last time I was in the UK 9 months ago I watched him score Reading's final goal in a 4-0 defeat of Watford

In our first EVER Prem game we played BORO at home ..guess who scored our winner?.

A wise decison by Southgate to sign him

A poor decision by Reading to let him go on a free, he never asked to leave and was given a great recepton by the fans. He celebrated his goal with the Boro fans modestly and then went to the Reading fans and appologised....he got a standing ovation for that, and I have never witnessed anything like it before...what a contrast between his celebations and Adibiours for Man City against Arsenal !!

Maybe letting quality players like him leave is one of the reasons why Reading sit one place off the bottom 3 with trips to WBA and QPR in the next week thrills me with anticipation.

Still Reading are better on the road than at home......no home wins since 11th January ...15 bluddy games..a club record

Sod it...I'm not happy at all

Edited by ThaiPauly