Bus To Bangkok

L&J

Background- don't like flying to Bangkok so we always take the train. We have to go on a specific day later this month and

couldn't believe that the day train we need to take was SOLD OUT. It seems that Thai railways is incapable of adding more cars when they have too many passengers, but that is a whole other topic.

Question- Know there are buses-never took one- so wanted to know if there are any good bus or van service going to Bangkok?

Price is not the issue, comfort and reliability are the factors of interest.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

There are plenty of buses. Check out Nakonchai Air who's service is very reliable and seem to employ sane bus drivers with schedules that don't oblige them to go too fast at the expense of safety or comfort. There are several different levels of service and they have their own depot on the edge of the bus station plus a (Thai) website here. If I have to go anywhere by bus they are the people I check out first, having had very poor and scary experiences with so called "VIP" tourist operators touted by travel agents who don't generally offer public services presumably because there's no commission.

There are plenty of buses. Check out Nakonchai Air who's service is very reliable and seem to employ sane bus drivers with schedules that don't oblige them to go too fast at the expense of safety or comfort. There are several different levels of service and they have their own depot on the edge of the bus station plus a (Thai) website here. If I have to go anywhere by bus they are the people I check out first, having had very poor and scary experiences with so called "VIP" tourist operators touted by travel agents who don't generally offer public services presumably because there's no commission.

I second that on Nakonchai Air, a breath of fresh air among service providers in Thailand. It must be a Japanese - Thai company as it has the touches of Japanese service professionalism, including the cute, super-polite uniformed hostess. 600 baht one way to Bangkok (800 for 1st class, fewer, larger seats, but it wasn't available when I travelled), snack, water, box lunch so they don't have to stop, clean toilet at the back, almost fully reclining, comfortable seats with seatbelts, blanket, safe drivers who switch with a new guy half-way. If you like Thai ghost movies then you'll be really happy, if not take your iPod or laptop.

The have their own terminal at the back of Arcade bus station, with several buses each evening to Bangkok and I think one daytime trip. I recently traveled with them and left CM at 11pm and arrived at MoChit bus station at 7:30am www.nca.co.th

In Bangkok their terminal is not at the bus station although not too far, but go to MoChit if you need a taxi. It's a short taxi ride to the MoChit skytrain station. don

Edited by drtreelove

I second that on Nakonchai Air, a breath of fresh air among service providers in Thailand. It must be a Japanese - Thai company as it has the touches of Japanese service professionalism, including the cute, super-polite uniformed hostess. 600 baht one way to Bangkok (800 for 1st class, fewer, larger seats, but it wasn't available when I travelled), snack, water, box lunch so they don't have to stop, clean toilet at the back, almost fully reclining, comfortable seats with seatbelts, blanket, safe drivers who switch with a new guy half-way. If you like Thai ghost movies then you'll be really happy, if not take your iPod or laptop.

The have their own terminal at the back of Arcade bus station, with several buses each evening to Bangkok and I think one daytime trip. I recently traveled with them and left CM at 11pm and arrived at MoChit bus station at 7:30am www.nca.co.th

In Bangkok their terminal is not at the bus station although not too far, but go to MoChit if you need a taxi. It's a short taxi ride to the MoChit skytrain station. don

And just another short note on Nakonchai Air, I just drove past the bus station here in CM and noticed a smart looking but smallish bus pulling in off the Superhighway with Nakonchai Gold writ large on the side. I recall a while back seeing them launch a super luxury service which initially was only for charter but maybe that now runs on a route.

I have travelled on both but prefer Sombat tour. They stop half way for a quarter of an hour or so and their complementary meal is good. Has anyone travelled on both and can comment.?

Nakonchai Air for sure. Leave at 8:00pm arrive BKK 5:10am (they say 9 1/2 hours, but usually closer to 9). And the night bus has no movie or blaring music...

And you don't have to go to their own bus station - they go to Moshit too

I couldn't believe how slow Nakhon Chai Air was driving when I tried. I mean safety is good and all that but they manage a full 10 hours to Bangkok.. I prefer Sombat Tour for that reason, they don't drive like snails.

And then, what's that with their separate bus station in Bangkok.. that's real convenient when transiting to the Pattaya bus..

NCR do go to Pattaya direct, but I think 12 hours is optimistic, plus they take the old road past Phitsanulok and stop in damned near every province on the way.. If I bus it to Patters then I take Sombat to Mo Chit and just connect on the Roong Ruang bus which takes 1 hour 45 mins from Mo Chit, especially at the hour you'd make that transition which would be something like 5am. :)

Nothing beats Air Asia though..

:D - Thanks for the info. on CM-BK buses. We tried to use the almost universal recommendation for Nakonchai Air, but

found that they had no a single seat remaining for any of their buses on Oct. 25th :) . We walked around the bus station lot and saw another company's buses that looked good and will try them. On a question that came up it appears that Nakonchai Air has only VIP and First Class service buses no offer of a Gold Service.

Thanks for that update.. Your approach is actually a very sound one and one that I've done in the past: taking a quick survey around the bus station to see which company's buses look in good and comfortable condition, and than go with that one.

There's not THAT much difference between them anyway. ( Did you take the Sombat bus? :) )