How To Secure Our New Home In Hua Hin ?

JohanBKK

Hello,

We have bought a home near Hua hin, any advice in how to secure our home from robbers and criminals ?

Please see attached file for location. Do you think it's a good location ? We stay 7 KM from Hua hin center, is just 10 min drive.

Thanks.

post-57332-1254589510_thumb.jpg

Hello,

We have bought a home near Hua hin, any advice in how to secure our home from robbers and criminals ?

Please see attached file for location. Do you think it's a good location ? We stay 7 KM from Hua hin center, is just 10 min drive.

Thanks.

You could try, 9ft Steel Palisade fencing and razor barb, then got to dogs and train them to kill,

Failing that, build a high wall with nice areas of clear or colored glass block, secure top with razor wire or similar.

A dog helps as does going to the local cop shop and drop off a donation to them to just keep an eye on the house from time to time.

Other than that get a burglar alarm.

Up to you

post-159-1254592059.jpg

If you have a high wall all the burglar needs to do is scale that wall and then they can work unoticed, I feel that a house that can be viewed by its neighbours and passers by would be more of a deterrent to a burglar as they know they can be seen entering the house itself. High walls can easily be scaled and razor wire/glass is not a problem to overcome. Burglar alarms are good, however they can be disconnected at the source and also how many people in your area would actuallly respond if it was set off. A guard dog is a great deterrent and probably the best option but remember it will need looking after and if you have a garden with lawn that will soon be destroyed, not forgetting that they can be poisened....Good strong locks with and bars on all windows and doors is about the best you can do, if a burglar wants to get in they will.

I live in a fairly quiet area just south of Hua Hin and several of my neighbors have been robbed.

First, I never leave the house empty overnight. We live here full time and if we do go on an overnight holiday we pay our gardener extra to sleep outside like a security guard while we are gone. We also have a hard wired alarm system that was installed during construction that makes an earsplitting noise and flashes bright strobes from the front and back of the home if tripped. I think the noise alone would scare all but the most determined burglars away as it hurts the ears. The alarm system also calls me on my mobile when tripped with a pre-recorded message so that I know someone set it off and can call friends, neighbors, or the police to investigate if I am not home.

We also have two guard dogs that roam the entire plot during the day and at night one is locked in the front garden while the other is locked in the back so that even if they are sleeping one of them will wake up if someone enters the yard. We have a two meter wall around the property that is also alarmed with light beams. We also leave the garden lit with wall and outdoor porch and pole lighting all night long.

As I said, knock wood, we haven't had any problems so far and neighbors have. One neighbor was robbed three times and then embedded broken glass into the top of his wall. So far that has worked. Another one put those big steel double spikes on top of the wall.

The main things are not to leave the home unoccupied for long periods. If you must, remove all portable valuables to a safer location. Other than that make your home look harder to rob than the neighbor's. Most robberies here are not done by professional criminals, but are just crimes of opportunity so if the neighbors home is darker and quieter and less secure than yours, the burglars will probably go there.

It's the same principle you use if a bear is chasing you in the woods. You don't have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun the other people with you! :)

Hello,

Thanks.

A simple idea, but a good one, which also costs very little to run, is to have a number of 'downlighters' installed under the sofit of your house. You only need to install low energy bulbs - say 5 watt each in them to give sufficient light to illuminate the whole area immediately around your house walls and have these lights controlled by a 'light sensor' . We have a large villa and use some 9 of these downlighters around the house along with the garden/road lights. When you work out that if you have say 9 on the house and another 6 on the walls and they are all running about 5 watts each you are only expending 15x5=75 watts per hour x say 10 hours per day. Reckon on 1kw Hour costing around 4Baht, so 0.75x4=3Baht per day.

Burglars don't like lights, they prefer to work where they can't be seen, so even if you do nothing else install the lights!

Other possibilities are 'infra-red beam systems' that will cover upto 90+metres and you can place a beam system around your property connected to a house alarm. This can even be used during the day to warn you of somebody coming onto your property.

If you need any more info just PM me and I can tell you who installed our systems as we are near HH.

Good luck and stay safe.

I live in a fairly quiet area just south of Hua Hin and several of my neighbors have been robbed.

First, I never leave the house empty overnight. We live here full time and if we do go on an overnight holiday we pay our gardener extra to sleep outside like a security guard while we are gone. We also have a hard wired alarm system that was installed during construction that makes an earsplitting noise and flashes bright strobes from the front and back of the home if tripped. I think the noise alone would scare all but the most determined burglars away as it hurts the ears. The alarm system also calls me on my mobile when tripped with a pre-recorded message so that I know someone set it off and can call friends, neighbors, or the police to investigate if I am not home.

We also have two guard dogs that roam the entire plot during the day and at night one is locked in the front garden while the other is locked in the back so that even if they are sleeping one of them will wake up if someone enters the yard. We have a two meter wall around the property that is also alarmed with light beams. We also leave the garden lit with wall and outdoor porch and pole lighting all night long.

As I said, knock wood, we haven't had any problems so far and neighbors have. One neighbor was robbed three times and then embedded broken glass into the top of his wall. So far that has worked. Another one put those big steel double spikes on top of the wall.

The main things are not to leave the home unoccupied for long periods. If you must, remove all portable valuables to a safer location. Other than that make your home look harder to rob than the neighbor's. Most robberies here are not done by professional criminals, but are just crimes of opportunity so if the neighbors home is darker and quieter and less secure than yours, the burglars will probably go there.

It's the same principle you use if a bear is chasing you in the woods. You don't have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun the other people with you! :)

Nice life... have you considered digging an underground bomb shelter?

Nice life... have you considered digging an underground bomb shelter?

Yes, I have, and I have also considered a machine gun nest on my balcony but the government won't let me own the machine gun! :)

You may think good security measures are overkill but as I said I've had multiple neighbors robbed in my current location and five years ago when I first came here and was renting in the middle of town I also had multiple neighbors robbed. I've had one friend murdered and another shot six times while standing in his own front yard.

Taking reasonable measures to secure your home against crime is the sensible thing to do no matter where you live. It's a sad fact of life in the world we live in today.

From what im reading about robberies and fences and security I think our decision NOT to buy in Hua Hin was correct, no matter all the poopoohing we got from our friends.. :)

Compared to CM I doubt may people would agree with you :D

We also were " part " robbed in the way that the robbers came in to the house through small windows attempted to steal the TV but couldnt get it out of the front door due to padlock and so tried to get it out of the window they came in from to no avail LOL ....that was in a 24 hr " secure " estate ...and all that

Better way to secure the house though would be to quadruple check the land transfer docs and house docs etc are correct . No end of ridiculous confusions occur when trying to sell again in Hua Hin .

Burp..Singapore feels good though