Chalerm Must Answer For Clip To Hun Sen

webfact

PM : Chalerm must answer for clip to Hun Sen

By The Nation

Published on October 5, 2009

Chalerm must answer for clip to Hun Sen

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday questioned the motive of Pheu Thai Party MP Chalerm Yoobamrung in sending to Cambodian PM Hun Sen an audio clip of Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya criticising Hun Sen.

"I have no idea why he would do that and Chalerm has to answer why. The audio tape was old," the premier said. Abhisit downplayed consequences of Chalerm's move, saying what he did would not adversely affect the bilateral relations between the two countries. Whenever he met Hun Sen, they enjoyed amicable relations.

"Hun Sen told me not to let Preah Vihear [the disputed temple] become an obstacle to other bilateral cooperation,'' he said.

Abhisit said the government would protect the interests of the country and solve the conflict over Preah Vihear through peaceful means.

"That does not mean that [in the interest of ] peace we will allow them [to take over the contested land]. But ....we will be careful not to cause any casualties or losses,'' he said.

Thepthai Senpong, personal spokesman of the Democrat Party leader, attacked Chalerm, saying the politician was putting the country at stake to fulfil his political ambition. "Look back at our history. Ayutthya collapsed because Thais acted as spies for the enemy. Is Chalerm acting like that?'' he said.

He said Chalerm was abusing an internal matter to create greater conflict between the two countries and Thailand would definitely suffer as a result.

"Chalerm, do you love the country? Are you still Thai? If what you are doing causes conflict that cannot be resolved, how will you take responsibility for your actions?'' he asked.

Thepthai also defended Kasit, saying the tape featuring Kasit's stance was recorded before he assumed the foreign portfolio.

Sathit Pitutecha, Democrat Party executive, said Chalerm criticised the prime minister as being immature; but his action in sending the audio clip to Hun Sen showed Chalerm acted like a primary school student.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/05

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that you puked - what was Chalerm thinking?

It looks like he is trying to enlist Hun Sen in a political war against fellow Thais.

He wants Hun Sen to come and smash Kasit and Democrats, so that Thai government can collapse.

Unbelievable.

It looks like he is trying to enlist Hun Sen in a political war against fellow Thais.

He wants Hun Sen to come and smash Kasit and Democrats, so that Thai government can collapse.

Unbelievable.

He seems to me to be just another political jerk, exploiting nationalist sentiment over a ridiculously unimportant matter for political advantage - i.e the mirror image of the PAD creeps.

Unbelievable.

I await those who would defend his inexcusable behaviour, but then again many of his coherts are taking an enforced holiday over the boarder and pay lip service ( at the very least ) to the government there and as has always been DGAF about Thaialnd apart from their own selfish enrichment......................and like in this case, having the potentially to cause great harm to their fellow citizens and all it,s respective institutions.

Having said that the Yoobamrung family have a reputation for so many unruly and distasteful incidents.

To think that this **** and his siblings could be a part of the future destiny of Thailand is very disconcerting to say the least.

marshbags :)

Chalerm jr apparently killed a few people with his gun at a bar in BKK. He is a police man. Father did everything thing to let him stay out of jail and succeeded. All Thai people know this and most Thai people don't like this men at all.

Chalerm jr apparently killed a few people with his gun at a bar in BKK. He is a police man. Father did everything thing to let him stay out of jail and succeeded. All Thai people know this and most Thai people don't like this men at all.

Chalerm jr killed a policeman. He is not a policeman himself. I am sure most Thai people know this :)

Yes selling out his country, because he wants the current government to fall.

He sends a potentially incendiary recording, well past the expiry date of relevance,

to the head of a nation with extended border and active border clashes causing recent deaths.

And does it with the sole intention of discrediting HIS OWN GOVERNMENT...

Why is this not considered treason, even if the battles are not 'declared as open war'?

And this from a man who purports desiring to run the country as a leader.

This being besides the point that Hun Sen no doubt has already heard it,

and thrown it out as localized, on the spot, political rhetoric and not actual government policy.

And not have any relevance between Thailand and Cambodia.

The dessicated moral fiber Chalerm shows is nothing short of utterly unraveled,

and looking more like shredded cotton balls as the emperors new clothes.

In contrast Newin comes off almost saintly.... and that's a hard trick to pull off.

Edited by animatic

Please refrain from discussing a case which was judged by the courts years ago. This is off-topic

Stay on topic

....and the recording of Kasit he sent was about a year old..... (Tho Hun Sen knew all about it at the time)

I think the posters are bringing his tarnished reputation into perspective and illustrating his links with Cambodia (Junior hid out there until it was safe to return).

To understand his actions needs a bit of depth and perspective. Thaksin, Chalerm & Co represent "new asian" business interests and Abhisit and the democrats traditionally represent the establishment but maybe not for much longer as Newins and Bumijaithai's star ascends and a compromise between business and establishment is achieved.

(None of this, of course, is of any concern for the proletariat.)

History is very relevant to an understanding of the Thai present and is dismissed all too easily..... :D

Anyhoo it's curious that Chalerm would boast of this action which was just as dumb as Kasits original statement - still SE Asian diplomacy is pretty inscrutable and deliberately so. :)

Discounting Chalerms history is to deny what has and still happens behaviour wise.

It is all relevant IMHO and says much about the persona of this man and his influence relating to Thai / Cambodia relations.

In reference to his son who is mentioned, he was allowed to hide out there for several months in spite of there being a Thai warrant out for his arrest for the MURDER of a respected police official who was carrying out his duties.

While it may be considered old news, some members reading this thread, will not know the relevance of such a disclosure and the background /history of this political self serving????, which is repeating itself once again.

Respectfully

marshbags :)

P.S.

My understanding in relation to the O.P. is the Thai / Cambodia relationship and invites observations past and present re.Chalerms repeatative, questionable misuse of his political status ect.

To inform them about anything Thai that could damage relationships or use Cambodia as a self serving tool to discredit the instituitons here is Tant amount to treason against the state government. IMHO as always

Edited by marshbags

Yes selling out his country, because he wants the current government to fall.

He sends a potentially incendiary recording, well past the expiry date of relevance,

to the head of a nation with extended border and active border clashes causing recent deaths.

And does it with the sole intention of discrediting HIS OWN GOVERNMENT...

Why is this not considered treason, even if the battles are not 'declared as open war'?

And this from a man who purports desiring to run the country as a leader.

isn't that a case of shooting the messenger?

if some audio recordings of the Foreign Minister becomes a threat for the national security, this person should not be the Foreign Minister at all. even if he had said that before he got the job, its disqualify him.

Chalerm isn't a dream politician, but that is not the point here.

the outcry and hateful nationalistic rhetoric by the democrats and their fan team is the far bigger scandal than that somebody let the foreign public know what sort of a person get the job of the Foreign Minister in this government.

The bloody recording is a year old dead horse no one pays attention to. Two days ago Kasit and Hun Sen were shaking hands for the photo op at some Asean function, now Chalerm is out to stir the pot.

It is treasonous, he IS hurting the country in his quest to get to Kasit.

This wouldn't be the first time Hun Sen has had to deal with criticism. He's likely to look at this as just another brick in the wall and the dole out his own barrage of insults, criticisms and anti-Thai propaganda.

The Khmer people couldn't care less about Hun Sen's feelings being hurt. They have much bigger things to worry about, believe me! I see this as just a lot of media hype.

Chalerm is an awful guy. In this case, he went against his norm and was honest.

Also, it's a shame our great saviour Abhisit didn't deal with the problem at the outset and get rid of person that said: 'I will wash my feet in the blood of the Cambodian Prime Minister'. Abhisit decided to promote him to foreign minister instead...

Chalerm will always be a disgrace. So will Abhisit and Kasit.

You blinkered folk are pathetic, once again. All three of these Thai, so called, politicians are self-serving, dishonest @$#%%$#@**@!

The bloody recording is a year old dead horse no one pays attention to. Two days ago Kasit and Hun Sen were shaking hands for the photo op at some Asean function, now Chalerm is out to stir the pot.

It is treasonous, he IS hurting the country in his quest to get to Kasit.

Plus, as usual your comments are outragous. (I'm sure you must be paid for sprouting this one-sided propaganda.)

Chalerm was wrong, but he didn't commit treason, under Thai law. Kasit did! As was clearly stated at the time, and since...

Many respected commentators clearly opinioned that Kasit's comments were treason, as you know full well (but choose to forget as per usual...) Because he was part of the illegal army installed government who also hand picked the judges then they wouldn't claim it was treason, would they???

Imagine, your favourite bloke: MrT. If he had said the same words they would have hung him by now.

Lastly, you think the Khymers have forgotten and forgiven? Please, Plus... hundreds of years of history says otherwise.

But, you are funny:

Yellowman said "I will bath in the blood of our neighboring country's PM" - you say: 'oh, it's all water under the bridge...'

Redman said "******" - you say: 'justice must be done, time does not erase a crime...' :)

Edited by jasreeve17

Chalerm attacked for video threat

Published on October 6, 2009

Veteran opposition politician Chalerm Yoobamrung came under fire yesterday for his threat to send to Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen a video of Kasit Piromya - now the foreign minister - criticising him.

Kasit, formerly a senior diplomat, made critical remarks about Hun Sen when he participated in a protest by the People's Alliance for Democracy last year, shortly before he became foreign minister.

MR Priyanandhana Rangsit, an appointed senator who is deputy chair of the Senate committee on foreign affairs, said yesterday it would be improper for Chalerm to act in such a way.

"It is really improper to attack someone with a matter of the past. It's not a good idea for ties between the two countries and between Kasit and Samdech Hun Sen," she said, referring to the Cambodian leader by his Cambodian title.

She said Kasit's status had changed and he was now the Thai foreign affairs minister and no longer an activist affiliated with the PAD.

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said it appeared Chalerm was trying every way possible to get his political camp back into power and acting for their benefit. "That could cause damage to the country," he said.

But Suthep said he had no concern that Chalerm's move might threaten ties with Phnom Penh, as he believed the Cambodian leader had a good grasp of Thai politics.

"Prime Minister Hun Sen is a senior politician with a good understanding of politics. I don't think I need to call him [to explain about the matter]. But if I have time, I will call on him again to talk about bilateral ties. We must keep good ties with our neighbours," he said.

Suthep visited Hun Sen a few months ago following a border dispute between the two countries.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation October 6, 2009

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/option/pri...newsid=30113856

Also, it's a shame our great saviour Abhisit didn't deal with the problem at the outset and get rid of person that said: 'I will wash my feet in the blood of the Cambodian Prime Minister'. Abhisit decided to promote him to foreign minister instead...

Chalerm will always be a disgrace. So will Abhisit and Kasit.

You blinkered folk are pathetic, once again. All three of these Thai, so called, politicians are self-serving, dishonest @$#%%$#@**@!

there was a press release by the MFA, 9 month ago, concerning the issue of he use of blood of the Cambodian leader in an inappropriate way:

Foreign Minister denies news report involving Cambodian leader

January 20, 2009, 8:17 pm

Regarding reports by some media and certain web sites in the Kingdom of Cambodia about an alleged statement made by Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya prior to his appointment, which reportedly involves the blood of the Cambodian leader in an inappropriate way, the Minister of Foreign Affairs categorically denied having made such a statement.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has already informed the Royal Government of Cambodia through the Royal Embassy of Cambodia in Bangkok and the Royal Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh and was informed that the Royal Government of Cambodia did not attach any importance to the said report and has dismissed it.

Kasit's comments were treason

Since when promising to bloodbath to your enemies is treason?

Plus must go!

Were you drunk?

Plus, I read a detailed article (several actually) by senior Thai academics (of law) stating that Kasit's remarks were. I choose to believe them and not you. As always, it is down to interpretation of law which is controlled by the power politics here rather than blind justice.

As for the second comment, it was in humour, hence the smilie - I'd miss you if you were gone. My world is different from yours because mine accepts people with differing viewpoints... :)

For Plus,

I'd like to ask a couple of questions - please answer them directly and susinctly:

1) Do you believe that Kasit made these statements ('bath my feet in the blood of')?

2) If he did, then why did he say he didn't?

3) If somebody makes such comments do you believe they should be promoted to foreign minister shortly after?

Very short answers please - no spin required.