Saucy Teenage Romp !

From today's Nation....

Apirak not amused by saucy teenage romp

March 26, 2005

Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin said yesterday that dance shows featuring young students in spaghetti-strap blouses could be seen as “provocative and improper’’ and has initiated steps to tone down future performances.

Apirak’s comments followed his viewing of a dance show yesterday that proceeded a certificate-presentation ceremony.

“We must ensure that student shows are proper, no more stuff that could be seen as provocative and improper,” Apirak said after the ceremony ended.

Following the ceremony, he immediately convened a meeting with Bangkok deputy governor Wanlop Suwandee and the head of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration’s Education Office to discuss how future student shows should be conducted.

“I think Thai traditional elements in shows would be good,” he said.

The governor sported a grim face throughout yesterday’s show, in which primary students wore white spaghetti-strap blouses.

Some dancers had already reached puberty, and their dance moves attracted laughter from the audience.

Apirak did not make any complaint until the ceremony ended.

I think we must all unite in our condemnation of this.

In almost any town up and down the land on Wan Dek or a 'graduation ceremony' there are children from 5 years old dolled up like tarts with lipstick, white stockings, fancy hairdos, shiny dresses....dancing...provocatively...If it was just a game like dressing up....but in LOS it looks very unpleasant

Where has Apirakh been, for heaven's sake?

From today's Nation....

“We must ensure that student shows are proper, no more stuff that could be seen as provocative and improper,” Apirak said after the ceremony ended.

??????

Sorry...Maybe it's my farang twisted impression again :o But, as i am culturally well integrated, Speaking-reading-writing and Understanding Thai culture , what is wrong with that guy's statement? Provocative, improper stuff should be available but kept in the closet.... :D

From today's Nation....

??????

Sorry...Maybe it's my farang twisted impression again :o But, as i am culturally well integrated, Speaking-reading-writing and Understanding Thai culture , what is wrong with that guy's statement? Provocative, improper stuff should be available but kept in the closet.... :D

Well, it's not so bad - let's face it - we don't want the US-style Beauty pageant for kiddies starting off here.

5 year old girls in swimsuits & sexy outfits with full make-up is most disturbing. I am sure given the choice, they'd rather be playing in a sand-pit.

Let the kids dress up, but let's not dress them like whores...

As is demonstated in the US - you can't always rely on adults to do the best thing for their kids...

I saw one of these school shows at a college in Rachadamnoen Avenue.

After the kids did their classical dance, there was a mime routine with girls in leather boots and feather boas. They weren't impersonating Patpong though- but rather 'Look Theung' routines....

...syncopated modern-costumed Isaan dance/music performances.

Sometimes you see them on Thai television.

This is not a sign of creeping western decadence.

There are beauty pagents in the States, obviously, but those weird, child beauty shows are the exception to the rule and definitely not a part of school life.

I saw one of these school performances here at a government school a few months ago. I was shocked: little girls from pratom 2 shaking and gyrating in mini-skirts and bright make-up. It was unbelievable to me. I'm glad that someone is finally speaking out about it. I agree that a spaghetti strap ban on all Thai females during their own time is ridiculous. But there should definitely be clear guidelines about proper student presentation in school shows. Sometimes I just don't get a lot of things here, like the compulsive-obsessive drive to appear upright and correct at all costs, and then "authorities" don't even bat an eyelash at little girls gyrating on a school stage.

I was reading last week that now in the states with the chearleaders they have banned the provocative moves.

Perhaps, they just need to act their age and have dance teachers that can teach them the appropriate moves. Not the pelvic thrusts and "doing a pole dance" moves.

Cc

Yeah, let kids be kids. THing is though, since these girls grow up with the motor show girls, luuk thung videos and Tata Young flicks, they are very likely to want to emulate these. You can, and probably should, make rules about "proper" attire and behaviour at school, but no way can you stop the general trend. Even if you want to.

I'm rather conflicted about this story. On one hand, shows like this one are really in deplorably bad taste, on the other hand, his reaction makes him sound like a real stuffed shirt. I think if I saw the same show I would be amused and appalled in equal measure. I agree that these shows could be coreographed more tastefully, but I don't think his harsh reaction was really called for.

Yeah, let kids be kids. THing is though, since these girls grow up with the motor show girls, luuk thung videos and Tata Young flicks, they are very likely to want to emulate these. You can, and probably should, make rules about "proper" attire and behaviour at school, but no way can you stop the general trend. Even if you want to.

Kid will be kids the world over...

Whether it's Thailand or USA or Australia, teenage girls all like to wear "sexy" clothes.

The general Thai populace do not seem to mind one way or another... :o

5 year old girls in swimsuits & sexy outfits with full make-up is most disturbing. I am sure given the choice, they'd rather be playing in a sand-pit.

Alas, I'm not so sure. We have to put my wife's lipstick out of reach of our daughter, who isn't 5 yet. Also, girls like dressing up.

I don't disagree that it's disturbing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but growing up in the 70's I've been aware of this phenomenon occurring in most cultures and IMO girls haven't changed at all.

Think of all the sexy videos you've seen over the years. What's new now?

Emulating motor show girls and Tata..............good on 'em!

Correct me if I'm wrong but growing up in the 70's I've been aware of this phenomenon occurring in most cultures and IMO girls haven't changed at all.

Think of all the sexy videos you've seen over the years. What's new now?

Emulating motor show girls and Tata..............good on 'em!

Not when they are nine.