Phuket Bungee Jumper In Near-fatal Accident

george

Spanish anyone...

“He panicked and bicycle-kicked his feet out of the harness,” he said.

Asked why the claim remained on the site two months after a near-fatal accident, Mr Pearce said, “We just forgot about it”.

What rubbish, if it were applicated properly there is no way to kick your legs out although agree if you go feet first there's more chance for the harness to be stressed and dislodged.

On the last comment “We just forgot about it”, what a :D

Bungee jumping in Phuket was on our agenda. Was!!

Gotta find some other fun thing to do instead.

Get pissed :D

I Think that if humans were ment to fly we would have wings :D

:)

according to their website:

"The jump is New Zealand & Aussie owned, with a new zealand management team bringing the western high standards for safety and service. Our jump crew is highly skilled, efficient, and most importantly regards safety as PRIORITY ONE!"

Talk about stating the obvious. I'd hardly be reassured if they said "regards safety as PRIORITY 23!"

I watched the video and, if it's the right one (looks like an Indian dude), then he didn't jump feet first and he didn't kick his legs going down. He did, however, take off like a diver (out from the platform, rather than straight down), which should be ok. The onus is upon the worker who secured the jumper's legs. Either that, or the wrapping/harness was faulty. Yet, either way, the owner and the worker are at fault, because it's their responsibility to have a fully safe operation.

The owner says, after the fact, that the jumper should have jumped feet first. That's bullsh!t. His, and most other bungee set-ups are made for head first.

I'm concerned, because I'm planning to construct a thrill ride in Chiang Rai. It will be one or two zip lines for use by tourists, and currently studying instruction booklets on what's involved. BTW, I'm a licensed building contractor (California) so have some experience with construction.

Bungee jumping in Phuket was on our agenda. Was!!

Gotta find some other fun thing to do instead.

Well, that's probably two things off your agenda, if you also scratch jetskis.

Find a bar without blaring music

fat chance

I see Cambridge is still attracting boys with limited reasoning skills.

If this genius had a couple of working brain cells, he would have thought twice about bungy and he would have considered the fact that there are no such things as safety inspections in the land of living dangerously. If you want to use those things, accept that you might end up a cripple or dead.

^thai(s) are the technicians or jump masters. :)

uh hh, And it is Mr. Farang that supervises, trains and hires the staff. It's also Mr. Farang that owns the business and must therefore take responsibility for the operation, just like the Chairman of Toyota did yesterday when he accepted responsibility for a car crash due to a vehicle defect. Oh wait, that's not part of the western culture is it?

I note that they have replaced the material used to wrap the legs so that it is impossible for this to happen again. If true then this material should have been used in the first place. This is a management decision and down to the farang owners.

Edited by CRUNCHER

thai logic would always blame on the farang, if not for kicking loose, then for trying the jump in the first place, orultimately , if he had not chosen to come to thailand in the first place it would not have happened.

BTW, any one remember the bungi catapult near expat in patong ( still in operation?)

The place at Expact is allready gone a long time ago.

There is a bungee jump just behind the police station.

I know the owner of Kathu Bungee myself and i can not believe that safety is not his first concern at his company.

But accidents happens eveywhere where there is a bungee jump unfortunately, you only can hope that they learn from it.

with a new zealand management team bringing the western high standards for safety and service

Having worked there for years I have to say the safety standards in NZ are the worst of any western country.

in what line of work?

He did jump leg first and sissors kick on the way down. but it seems theharness came off only at the end.

And Like I have mentioned, he could have made his hand overhead and dive into the water. If you have experience jumping into water, you know if you land flat on your tummy it is painful though it is mere 2 meters. He was injured because he landed on his chest instead on diving into it.

with a new zealand management team bringing the western high standards for safety and service

Having worked there for years I have to say the safety standards in NZ are the worst of any western country.

in what line of work?

Sheep sh#gging. Sorry cdnvic. Couldn't resist. :)

He did jump leg first and sissors kick on the way down. but it seems theharness came off only at the end.

And Like I have mentioned, he could have made his hand overhead and dive into the water. If you have experience jumping into water, you know if you land flat on your tummy it is painful though it is mere 2 meters. He was injured because he landed on his chest instead on diving into it.

How is anyone supposed to react in 1/100th of a second and adjust their position to dive? Even an experienced acrobat couldn't do that. The bungee service screwed up in one way or another. I had thought to try it some day, and I am a risk taker (have climbed straight up 200 meter rock walls solo with no aid) but I won't be trying bungee.

I mean, it could have been made Standard Operating P To have your hands over your head for Bungee jumping.

How is anyone supposed to react in 1/100th of a second and adjust their position to dive? Even an experienced acrobat couldn't do that. The bungee service screwed up in one way or another. I had thought to try it some day, and I am a risk taker (have climbed straight up 200 meter rock walls solo with no aid) but I won't be trying bungee.

S.A.N.Z No such organisation for safety standards exist.

Australian Standards and New Zealand Standards does. AS/NZS

Does the site comply with Australian and /or NZ ocupational /workplace health and safety

standards?

Are staff trained to these minimum requirements?

I think you will find they do not, The advertising may well be misleading.

Ownership? Investors more like with a Thai company.

This business should be checked out very carefully.

Look at the countries where they claim to have similiar ventures.