How To Find Good English Speaking Staff?

boxergirl

Hi, i have a small business making custom made fight wear in Phuket for international customers. My australian production manager is resigning for personal reasons and I am at a complete loss about how i can find a replacement. They must have excellent english, good computer skills and ideally would be a fashion graduate. But most importantly they need to be very good at problem solving and an all-rounder. If anyone has any good ideas please let me know. I don't want to have to close the business down and put my three thai staff out of work! Thank you. Laura.

Firstly, I would have to question whether or not your business in legal in Thailand.

What Category under the Thai law ACTS of businesses does your company fall in?

If it`s garments, than this pertains under the prohibited profession ACTS and is illegal for any Farangs to be running or working for these companies.

Edited by sassienie

I'm in online but need to hire staff that are strong in English - and have smarts. I've got 8 Thai's now and the skills vary but overall more than sufficient English. I have found almost all of them via JobsDB. One I asked at a university and they gave me an excellent MBA candidate from an English program who has turned out to be a real rock in the org. I've also worked for a multi-national and managed a team of 20+ so I know what's out there.

You have to interview, interview and interview. If you are in a hurry you need luck. Thinking long term I'd outsource or freelance to get over an near term challenge and take your time to find and build a team. There are plenty of armchair quarterbacks here who haven't built and managed Thai teams. It's got it's challenges for sure but there are great people with good (fluent is harder to find) English skills.

PM me if you want (I don't know fashion),

By odd coincidence, just last week I meet a nice young lady also from Phuket who is currently here in San Francisco to attend the FIDM (Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising). She has not begun her classes yet because she wanted to improve her English (which is nearly perfect). I told her she was wasting her time and she agreed because her parents had her tutored in English as a child and she has not noticed much improvement. I think she herself is not available (since she will need another year to complete her course work) but I will ask her if she knows some appropriate.

Good luck