Graphic Picture Warnings On Alcoholic Drinks

Garry9999

Several years ago Thailand introduced graphic picture warnings on cigarette packets - Did it stop smokers from smoking? Did it deter people from starting smoking?

Now there is talk of putting similar graphic picture warnings on bottles/cans containing alcohol - Will it deter people from drinking excessively?

What's next? Picture warnings on fast food?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several years ago Thailand introduced graphic picture warnings on cigarette packets - Did it stop smokers from smoking? Did it deter people from starting smoking?

Now there is talk of putting similar graphic picture warnings on bottles/cans containing alcohol - Will it deter people from drinking excessively?

Personally I think they should put these pictures on the hoods of all cars and motorbikes as well.

Personally I think they should put these pictures on the hoods of all cars and motorbikes as well.

Yeah, I thought that might to a good idea too. Honda Wave, painted with images of accident victims.

I honestly believe that if these images have even kept only 1 single person from picking up the terrible habit of smoking then they are a good idea. If they can prevent even just 1 person from getting addicted to alcohol then I am absolutely in favor of these warnings. But actually I don't care much because I never buy a pack of cigarettes and I never buy a bottle with an alcoholic drink for myself.

Maybe hard to understand for those people that like to smoke or drink...I know...and I know I will be flamed...

I belong to the usually quiet group of people that have never in their life felt the urge to smoke and that are genuinely bothered by smoke...and I don't like the taste or smell of alcohol - so I enjoy my life very much, but completely without drinking any alcohol.

and the answer is NO... for all 3 question.

and the answer is NO... for all 3 question.

I would like to know why are you so sure of your NO? Have we seen any serious trials or research on this? If you can present me anything more than your personal opinion I might be convinced otherwise not. If this wouldn't keep you or people thinking like you from picking up an addiction it still doesn't mean it won't work with others.

not when they will still have beer girls :)

Leogirls3.jpg

Perhaps the beers girls should come with picture warnings too?

Edited by Garry9999

Leogirls3.jpg

they should put warnings on those girls, nevermind the beer.

they should put warnings on those girls, nevermind the beer.

Something like, Getting involved with these girls will empty your bank account. ?

Does this mean photos of Farang tourists staggering round will actually be put on them???? Im appalled :)

I honestly believe that if these images have even kept only 1 single person from picking up the terrible habit of smoking then they are a good idea. If they can prevent even just 1 person from getting addicted to alcohol then I am absolutely in favor of these warnings. But actually I don't care much because I never buy a pack of cigarettes and I never buy a bottle with an alcoholic drink for myself.

Maybe hard to understand for those people that like to smoke or drink...I know...and I know I will be flamed...

I belong to the usually quiet group of people that have never in their life felt the urge to smoke and that are genuinely bothered by smoke...and I don't like the taste or smell of alcohol - so I enjoy my life very much, but completely without drinking any alcohol.

Are you a member of the PTSS?

Does this mean photos of Farang tourists staggering round will actually be put on them???? Im appalled :)

How about putting photos of the beer girls on the cans? Wait, I think Leo already did that.

I don't think they're meant to deter smokers as much as people who are leaning towards smoking. I'd say 'effective' although it could be argued either way. Not sure what the folks arguing against it are for though... I doubt they are all cigarette company shareholders.

:)

I don't think they're meant to deter smokers as much as people who are leaning towards smoking. I'd say 'effective' although it could be argued either way. Not sure what the folks arguing against it are for though... I doubt they are all cigarette company shareholders.

Much like travel warnings, these things are meant to appease squeeky wheels and to say to those that do partake - "don't say we didn't warn you".

I gave up drinking 9 years ago - people forget that it is a very dangerous drug - ten times worse than smoking, even heroin for that matter.

I'm all for sticking photos of drunk driving casualties on bottles. The problem is that probably most people reading this thread drink alcohol and many will be dependant on it - difficult to get a reasonable, unbiased debate.

Edited by Neeranam

Much like travel warnings, these things are meant to appease squeeky wheels and to say to those that do partake - "don't say we didn't warn you".

Well hopefully it'll help keep the lawsuits under control a bit when Thailand finally (hopefully a long way off) matures into a more litigious society. After all it IS an individual choice... and it's hard to argue that even with nearly no marketing + the graphic 'bleeding lungs' type of anti-marketing: that you were coerced into smoking.

:D

Well hopefully it'll help keep the lawsuits under control a bit when Thailand finally (hopefully a long way off) matures into a more litigious society. After all it IS an individual choice... and it's hard to argue that even with nearly no marketing + the graphic 'bleeding lungs' type of anti-marketing: that you were coerced into smoking.

exactly, it makes you wonder if its not the industries themselves pushing for these labels??? discreetly of course. :)

I gave up drinking 9 years ago - people forget that it is a very dangerous drug - ten times worse than smoking, even heroin for that matter.

I'm all for sticking photos of drunk driving casualties on bottles. The problem is that probably most people reading this thread drink alcohol and many will be dependant on it - difficult to get a reasonable, unbiased debate.

personally, i can get by without drinking any alcohol. But i choose to drink it. Mostly during weekends. I dont get pissed thou, just a few quiets, watching the footy or bbq. Im not into smoking or drugs. Its all in moderation.

I've quit smoking for 6 days and the reason was those pictures.

so youve never noticed those pics before?

Of course I have :) but really thought about it the last few weeks after my eldest daughter has been pointing them out to me, saying it will happen to me, which is very possible if I relapse.

BTW, respect to anyone who has been able to quit smoking - much harder than any other drug, including alcohol, heroin and cocaine.