Thai tech employees

jasonc

I am doing research on moving my tech based company from the USA to Thailand.

My main motivation in doing this is cheaper labor costs. Just so you know, no person is losing a job in the states. It's expansion time and I want to explore my options.

Does anyone know the going rate for a fresh Thai graduate in Computer Science with experience or education in php, cold fusion, mySQL, MSSQL or similar programming languages? I am looking for up to 4 employees. Not sure where to locate the office either. I think if I move to Phuket or a more desirable location than BKK I can get get slightly lower salaries.

Additionally, does anyone have any advice on the incentives for moving into the new "software parks" built to encourge international investment and software development.

Any advice? I realize this is a big topic but if you can start me in the right direction, that would be great.

I am also researching Vietnam, Southern India and the Philippines.

thanks!

Thank You singa-traz, You always have good info for me!

Good question - Yes they will need to have good english scores. They will not be required to write any content but they will need to understand the data when necessary.

Wow - 10 -20K a month. That's amazing. Any experience with employees at that payrate? Are they happy? Are they committed and devoted. I am a good employer. I give lots of holiday and create a fun, low stress atmosphere but I require that the job get done and on time. I think my attitude will bode well with Thai lifestyle (from what I've read).

What about experienced programmers, not fresh out of University? I assume on the 20-30K scale? with 2-3 years of experience...

What is the demand like for programming jobs in LOS?

i dont work for 30,000 per month, but if you need somebody to put a team together and get the jobs done.

Jesse Lewis

[email protected]

327 /8 Wiang Chai

Wiang Chai

Chang Rai

Thailand

+66 (0) 53 663091

Experience 2001-2003 Electromode Ltd   Thailand

Microsoft SQL and Visual Studio .Net Programmer

 Reprogram a relational dbase database, to visual basic .net and Microsoft SQL 2000 Server on a Microsoft 2003 Server, adding new features where appropriate the whole project to be carried out from may current home in Thailand and installed and serviced via the web.

1996-2001 Beekman B.V.   Nederland

Head of computing

 Design and develop digital media studio, including the recruitment and training of personnel

 Coordinate and develop media such as full colour catalogues, magazine advertisings, billboard advertising, show stands, CD’s, DVD’s, internet web sites with full text on line search

 Design and develop brand identity for use in mediums including packaging, display, catalogue, TV, internet and CD.

 Manage and co-ordinate staff and special projects within the Europart group including software and hardware integration, (the Europart group is a range of companies based across Europe)

 Manage computer and computer graphics design department.

 Design and develop new software and databases for spare parts industry. in MS SQL, Delphi, Visual basic, dbase and other languages where appropriate

 Evaluation and purchasing of new computer systems.

1990-1996 Electromode Ltd   London

Systems analyst programmer

 Developed key software for the spare parts industry.

 Advise companies on how to structure and use data.

 System planning, implementing and maintenance.

 Develop low cost networked database solutions.

1988–1990 Apple Computers inc. London & Paris

Technical support and training advisor

 Manage technical knowledge-base.

 Supervise technical problems for corporate accounts.

 Implement technical training course for customer employees.

1986–1988        Barking and Dagenham education authority.        Essex, UK

Administrator for computer administration

 Select and implement computer systems for school administration.

 Organise & train both administration staff and senior teachers.

1984–1986 Carlton Inc. Florida

Computer programmer

 Maintain computer systems.

 Write applications to help with administration.

 Train staff in the use of computer software.

1979–1984 Inner London Education Authority London

Science technician

 Organise equipment for science classes and lectures.

 Purchase and maintain equipment.

 Train teachers in the use of technical equipment.

1977–1979 Inner London Education Authority London

Audio visual technician

 Organise equipment for collage classes and lectures.

 Maintain equipment.

 Train teachers in the use of technical equipment.

Education 1979–1982                       Paddington technical collage                         London

 Sciences and technology.

1977–1979                       Wandsworth technical collage                      London

 Audio Visual Studies

1972–1977                       Abbey wood school                                       London

 A levels  Physics, Maths, Engineering, Photography.

 C.S.E’s   English, Social studies, Art History, Metal work, Ceramics.

Interests Technology, Current affairs, Art and Design, Photography, Travel, Music, Food.

Personal

history Born July 13th 1961 to Georgina and Jim Fletcher in Abbey wood, London, England, A small village in the south east of London bordering Kent.

In later years my mother remarried, and the family took the surname Lewis.

I have an older sister, younger sister and younger brother; they in turn have married and have several children. Like most large and extended families, national holidays are a time for gathering, those of us that cannot be there phone and say hi.

In 2001 I married my girlfriend at our house in Thailand and there after have built a new house and we now have a lovely and very beautiful baby girl Jaznin.

I dress casual jeans and tee shirts, I’m a non smoker, and drink only occasionally, I have a full and clean driving licence.

The current projects are coming to a close and it’s time to find somthing new.

Hi,

10k for a new grad sure, pay more and you are generous especially out of BKK.

The level of english here is very very poor even with Uni grads. So add in some training for raising the level.

The loyalty you will get will last as long as a paycheck, about 3 days.

If you expect a deadline to be met in Thailand, then I have a bridge for sale in Sydney, one state owner in good condition with no debts. :cool:

In my opinion, you should seriously think of Outsouring your Projects. I doubt you can get the level of skills you need for less than 50K in Thailand. This is from my experience.

Once you get an Employee in, it will be hard for you to take him/her out. Why take the risk? No Investment nothing.

Otherwise guys will come and then jump after one or two projects. You will ended up becoming a Training Centre for them.

If interested, you can PM me. I can provide you the Outsourcing Options and Companies in Thailand.

Good Luck

In my opinion, you should seriously think of Outsouring your Projects. I doubt you can get the level of skills you need for less than 50K in Thailand. This is from my experience.

Once you get an Employee in, it will be hard for you to take him/her out. Why take the risk? No Investment nothing.

Otherwise guys will come and then jump after one or two projects. You will ended up becoming a Training Centre for them.

If interested, you can PM me. I can provide you the Outsourcing Options and Companies in Thailand.

Good Luck

I agree too, by paying 10-20k you will get programmers who is looking to get into a compnay and learn but if you are looking for people who has done it before and can keep the standrad then 35k+ is needed but worst of all where will you find people ?? Skilled Thai programmers are difficult to find. If you are looking for expansion ...go to India ..people speak English there and salary is cheap and skills are plenty.

Regards

eRain

I agree too, by paying 10-20k you will get programmers who is looking to get into a compnay and learn but if you are looking for people who has done it before and can keep the standrad then 35k+ is needed but worst of all where will you find people ?? Skilled Thai programmers are difficult to find. If you are looking for expansion ...go to India ..people speak English there and salary is cheap and skills are plenty.

Regards

eRain

Agree.

If it is large scale then India or if it is small or medium scale then Sri Lanka will be more cost effective.

All guys can speak good English and many of them are already exposed to big projects. So plenty of experience.

I know some already in to this.

I do not believe by giving economic concessions Thailand can invite Software Companies to Thailand [Phuket]. Software business is 95% based on the skill of the Human Resource factor and the Cost of them. Even in India, it is centralized mainly to one area [bangalore].

The reason they say is, the Long term restructuring of Education from one Chief Minister around 20-15 Yrs Back in Bangalore.

I have not heard of any US Company outsourcing Software Development to Thai Software Houses.

Thai Software Industry is mainly centered around Implementing ERP Systems to Thai Companies. I have not come across any Thai Developed ERP Package. They only do customizing and implementation.  

But some Companies do have Internal Developed Specific Systems by Thai Programmers.

Guest IT Manager
The loyalty you will get will last as long as a paycheck, about 3 days.

If you expect a deadline to be met in Thailand, then I have a bridge for sale in Sydney, one state owner in good condition with no debts. :cool:

OMG Kiwi, ye of little faith.

Some grads are good. Most are not. Generally they are <deleted> useless.

A company I know uses a programmer as a sys-admin...enough said I think.