Iphone 3g

onnut

Doesanyone here have the iphone 3G? if so please write a few words about the pros and cons if you can.

I am thinking of buying one, I had the older model when they first came out but it was not so good and so I ended up going back to Nokia. I heard the 3G is much better now and am thinking of buying as I liked the internet application. and the screen in general.

Thank you

Great phone. Better wait for True to offer the 3GS version as it has a better camera and can take video so, if for example, you have a 17 month old son you can video him and upload to the web directly from your phone.

What did you not like about the 1st generation.

The iphone 3GS is probably one of the best phones out there. The App Store now is just fantastic.

the first one I had kept going funny, the screen would go blank every so often. normally when trying to make an important call. I bought that one from Tuk Com in Pattaya. so it could of been a copy. it only lasted 4 months.

how will I be able to tell I am buying the real deal with the new model?

Also not to mention several reports of exploding batteries and cracked screens that have surfaced lately. I would take a look on those before buying and even then to make sure warraty is in place.

The new one (3G) is just update on the old one basickly. Same stuff with added and improved features. Cool design and big screen and the apps store has thousands of "applications" to choose from. And what i have seen the camera is ok now, or then it's down to the big bright screen that photos look good.

It's bit like linux vs microsoft or cool looking vs usability thing. Some like iphones more and some like Nokia more so personal preference comes to play as both can handle the features nowadays.

From my personal experience i would stick to Nokia E series or one of the latest Nokia ones if you use it for "business" and need simple working applications that can handle your corporate and private emails, web, skype etc etc and good battery life. Oh and forgot proper GPS navigation.

The again if it's more for casual use or fashion statement i would go with the iPhone.

Actually the iphone 3gs will do way more than the Nokia E series now. Even has exchange support and push.

I have used the E series extensively and now there is no advantage over the iphone - in fact I will be so bold as to say there is no phone that has an advantage over the iphone 3gs - the only concern for some people is the lack of physical keyboard but you soon get used to it and my typing rates on the iphone are the same as a blackberry bold keyboard.

Do not be put off by Exploding batteries and cracked screens I have had 4 iphones since they were introduced and never had any of those problems or indeed know anyone who has.

Most people I know after using the 3GS agree that it probably is the best phone available on the market now.

Edited by namoo

Mjo, thanks for your reply. I have the Nokia E51 and E71 right now, the E71 is a great phone and has not let me down yet. I do however very much like the Iphone and have been thinking of buying one for a while. you are right and it will probably be for a fashion statement that I will buy one. but nevertheless, I still need a good phone and I will be using it for the web, E-mails, and photos more than anything.

thank you

Namoo, could you tell me where to buy a real one and not fake please? I am an impatient fecker and would hate to get to a store only to be told that they do not have the 3GS.

thank you

There is no such thing as fake iphones that I have seen anywhere that look and operate anything like the real thing - so if you were to see 1 of the cheap rip off chinese copies you can tell immediately.

As of last week the main true stores were saying they will have some stock on friday.......how many they dont know.

I personally would just buy it at MBK shop number B13 Wavephone Khun Kung 08675555599 - never had a problem with her or them and bought 2 3GS's last week there. My bro also got his 1st gen repaired there while he waited for 1200thb.

I would go with a FACTORY UNLOCKED 3.1 3GS - although cannot be jail broken yet give it 2 weeks if you want to jailbreak. I found 3.1 to be very stable and fast and better battery life than upgraded 3.0 or 3.0.1 phones that have been jailbroken.

However the only official outlet is TRUE so you could go there reserve one and wait.

Edited by namoo

I would personally go with a FACTORY UNLOCKED 3.1 3GS - although cannot be jail broken yet give it 2 weeks if you want to jailbreak. I found 3.1 to be very stable and fast and better battery life than upgraded 3.0 or 3.0.1 phones that have been jailbroken.

Can I cut in with a Q?

Is it possible to tether 3gs on 3.1?

Thanks

/t

Edited by touch

Apparently 3.1 broke the tethering for now. But I read some people have got it working. I cannot see the tethering option on my 3.1 factory unlocked :)

However I am pretty sure it will come very soon keep an eye on hackintosh forums.

Doesanyone here have the iphone 3G? if so please write a few words about the pros and cons if you can.

I am thinking of buying one, I had the older model when they first came out but it was not so good and so I ended up going back to Nokia. I heard the 3G is much better now and am thinking of buying as I liked the internet application. and the screen in general.

Thank you

You've done exactly the same as my girlfriend and I. We both bought the first generation iPhone - My girlfriend got rid of it within a week. I persevered, but after 3 months my girlfriend bought me a Nokia E71 when she saw me getting so frustrated with the 1st Gen iPhone - What a load of overrated over marketed and over hyped Cr@p IMO.

The E71 is an OK phone, I'm not that impressed with it. But its better than the 1st Gen iPhone IMO.

A friend has the latest 3GS iPhone and is hugely impressed with it. I am very skeptical but was shown all the improvements and it appears that all the things which annoyed me with the 1st Gen iPhone have been corrected (i.e. copy paste, forwarding messages, sms's now save if you answer a call in the middle of writing it. The only thing I am still not that endeared to is the lack of keyboard tactility but then the N71 has tiny keys which I don't like either...

I'm currently thinking of trying the new 3GS too....

Apparently 3.1 broke the tethering for now. But I read some people have got it working. I cannot see the tethering option on my 3.1 factory unlocked :)

However I am pretty sure it will come very soon keep an eye on hackintosh forums.

This is what has held me back from buying one a long time ago - they keep trying to look us to operator services or itunes....

Maybe I Will Have to go for a WM device.

I really want to use my device for net, IM, GPS and to read a lot of ebooks.

Most people I ask say that WM is better (easier) for this

/t

Most people I ask say that WM is better (easier) for thi

WM is so slow - forget it:

iphone has the best Web browser full stop on 3gs it has the fastest rendering, fastest zooming and fastest scrolling - leaves WM for dead.

IM - iphone has them all IM+ AIM Yahoo googletalk skype the lot

ebooks iphone has Kindle.

GPS iphone has so many choices all be it not many for Asia yet but coming fast as hel_l with so many options.

I am not a iphone fanboy i have tried them all blackberry's, WM devices, Nokia symbian, Sony and always end up coming back to iphone.

A lot of my colleagues who have WM have changed to iphone - its just simpler to use and HTC touchflow is a pain and its so many steps just to send a simple SMS......its a ballache WM - memory, cpu intensive and navigational nightmare.

The Appstore itself is simply awesome. There is just everything there you will ever need the latest games (Fifa 10 is awesome :) ) applications etc.

For web browsing there is no better phone check out youtube for iphone 3gs web browsing - nothing comes close.

Edited by namoo

Most people I ask say that WM is better (easier) for thi

WM is so slow - forget it:

iphone has the best Web browser full stop on 3gs it has the fastest rendering, fastest zooming and fastest scrolling - leaves WM for dead.

IM - iphone has them all IM+ AIM Yahoo googletalk skype the lot

ebooks iphone has Kindle.

GPS iphone has so many choices all be it not many for Asia yet but coming fast as hel_l with so many options.

I am not a iphone fanboy i have tried them all blackberry's, WM devices, Nokia symbian, Sony and always end up coming back to iphone.

A lot of my colleagues who have WM have changed to iphone - its just simpler to use and HTC touchflow is a pain and its so many steps just to send a simple SMS......its a ballache WM - memory, cpu intensive and navigational nightmare.

The Appstore itself is simply awesome. There is just everything there you will ever need the latest games (Fifa 10 is awesome :) ) applications etc.

For web browsing there is no better phone check out youtube for iphone 3gs web browsing - nothing comes close.

Maybe you're right (and I do want one) but tethering is a must for me. And i don't want to fiddle with extracting/replacing the SIM (AIS) all the time

/t

Apparently 3.1 broke the tethering for now. But I read some people have got it working. I cannot see the tethering option on my 3.1 factory unlocked :D

Linux vs Microsoft springs to mind again, it's the worlds best phone but just needs some tweaking. It's all there in the forums..... Does phone calls work out of the box ? :)

Well personal preference....

OP, i'm using E71 as well. Just recently updated phone software from Nokia pages and got some new stuff in the side. Youtube, Facebook, Myspace and proper email application for gmails and others that you can set up as you like to fetch you mails automatic. Basicly same as Roadsync does with MS Excange servers.

And fring is great, skype calls direct from your phone, skype chat and all other chat and IM stuff like yahoo, msn etc... about 7 or 8 of them included. Also has facebook, gmail, firefm (plays only music you like) and twitter. All in one package.

That's pretty much what i need and use from phone apart from gps which is stand alone in nokia. No need for internet connections etc while using. Global maps are free, only pay if you want voice guidance.

I have an iPhone 3GS (32giga) from True, version 3.1 (7C144) and the tethering works.....although not as stable as my old 3G which I lost....

Yanks invention i guess. But basically it means using you cellphone as modem to connect your laptop (or other device) to internet.

Something i use quite a lot when downloading my emails to my netbook and then reading and replying offline until i connect again to send and receive any new mails.

I know i could get USB dongle but have not been bothered as it means one more sim card and account to take care of.

No worries onnut.

Thailand is actually one of the cheapest countries for data. Unlimited GPRS/EDGE data from AIS is around 1000 baht per month. I have something like 100 baht per month for 100 hrs, can't remember now but peanuts and enough for me to check my mails regular.

Now this iphone 3GS is 3G phone that works in True 3G network so data is faster. The bad news are that this True network is only trial thus it has very limited coverage and capacity. Anyways there is reports it works in silom area and paragon etc.

• 1 month later...
Also not to mention several reports of exploding batteries and cracked screens that have surfaced lately. I would take a look on those before buying and even then to make sure warraty is in place.

The new one (3G) is just update on the old one basickly. Same stuff with added and improved features. Cool design and big screen and the apps store has thousands of "applications" to choose from. And what i have seen the camera is ok now, or then it's down to the big bright screen that photos look good.

It's bit like linux vs microsoft or cool looking vs usability thing. Some like iphones more and some like Nokia more so personal preference comes to play as both can handle the features nowadays.

From my personal experience i would stick to Nokia E series or one of the latest Nokia ones if you use it for "business" and need simple working applications that can handle your corporate and private emails, web, skype etc etc and good battery life. Oh and forgot proper GPS navigation.

The again if it's more for casual use or fashion statement i would go with the iPhone.

Yes I totally agree. Don't buy Iphones without knowing what it is exactly. Nokias are more practical and I think E and N series are good. A good comparison is Iphone 3G and the Nokia N97 and Nokia N97 wins hands down, similar price. I bought the 3G and it does not suit my business life at all. Simple phone functions are not there. It's a more of a fashion statement, like you said. I bought it without doing much research and I now regret for that. It is an original and everything works fine but I think Iphone is a Ipod coverted in to a phone but Nokia has always been a mobile phone.