Bad Trip To Thai Embassy Washington Dc

...it is always best to deal with foreign embassies via FedEx or UPS. You will then have

a receipt that you sent in your documents for processing. Read, re-read and read again ALL the forms

that any particular Thai visa you are applying for requests.

Follow everything to the letter.

You download and print out the documents req'd to send in and get to work. Yet, it is a paperchase,

but so what? Like medical records, police stamp, etc.

VERY IMPORTANT: get EVERY page NOTARIZED whether it asks for it or not.

Thais love stamps, the more the merrier.

Get all you financial statements in order, passport photos, several copies of EVERY PAGE of your passport and send in via

Fed Ex. The DC office requirements vary a bit from the LA office, so pay attention.

I received my Long Term O-A visa back in record time...5 days.

Impressive.

Just play by their rules and jump through the hoops.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Entering the USA was asked so many silly questions ( which I refused to answer ) it really seems to be part and parcel of those sorts of institutions

I am a US citizen and was held for questioning upon entering USA last month (I have a Bob Smith-type of name and this happens on occasion)... if you had answered as above at Washington/Dulles to the guys I had to deal with, you would have been led away in handcuffs.

As a U.S. citizen, I am in and out of the Untied States, Britian, the European Union and South-East Asia on a rather regular basis and I can attest that the U.S. Immigration officers are the nastiest, over-bearing, rude, dour and fascistic people in the business, closely followed by the British. They seem obsessed with pedophilia and the importation of silver trinkets. I dread entering the United States, my home country, and much rather wish to go somewhere else but there. On the other hand, I always feel welcome entering the European Union and Asia at any gateway. I recently has a most pleasant experience entering China at Guangzhou and have routinely and consistently been treated with respect and welcoming to Thailand. Perhaps, when American becomes a third-world country, where it is rapidly heading, people will be more welcome to enter and spend their money.

Yank immigration is one of the best and I've been in too many I can count all over the world. Always courteous, smiling, and give little hassle. :)

Best to always be courteous to them and answer all questions. Failing to do so will result in grief - remember you are in no man's land, and yet to reach the US. They can hold you for no reason. This is true of any country's immigration services.

This is bullshit. We get no respect.

Perhaps you deserve no respect. My initial retirement visa was issued in L.A. in 2004. I have lived in Thailand ever since. For six years prior to that I always had visa on arrival, staying 30 days or less. Never had a problem. Consider doing us all a favor stay in the U.S.

Entering the USA was asked so many silly questions ( which I refused to answer ) it really seems to be part and parcel of those sorts of institutions

I am a US citizen and was held for questioning upon entering USA last month (I have a Bob Smith-type of name and this happens on occasion)... if you had answered as above at Washington/Dulles to the guys I had to deal with, you would have been led away in handcuffs.

One of the reasons why I try to avoid the US.

I am scandinavian and even look very scandinavian but when US as a country are so scared and your efforts to feel safe, you make the wrong decsions all the time.

I avoid as much as I can to go to the US but it can't be avoided at all times.

Not judging the overall american but your politicians could really have a reality check.

Let go of the world outside the US and you will automatically feel safer.

I don't know many countries in the world that let people from another country, apart from the EU, to have 6 months visa, but I do think the embassy staff could be a lot nicer and friendlier towards people applying for visa to their country.

It's the first outpost for the "land of smiles" arf, arf. for people visiting, investing and spending their hard earned money.

I am living in Thailand myself but at times I am considering other neighbouring countries.

\Mik

Yank immigration is one of the best and I've been in too many I can count all over the world. Always courteous, smiling, and give little hassle. :)

This is all off topic to the thread, but my experience over many years has been exactly the opposite. Entering the USA, my own country is the most unpleasant of any of the many countries I have entered. Its a shame because it is known now that many experienced travelers are giving the US a miss due to the "security" unpleasantness even with the dollar being trashed. Imagine how few will come if the dollar ever gets stronger. Thailand isn't the only country skilled at shooting itself in its own foot.

Edited by Jingthing

Hi -

I have experience with both LA and DC. Currently DC. I too have had issues and can attest that the women in both working consular services are no charmers. I had been contacted due to lack of ticket out (2008). In 2009, I gave them exactly what they wanted and more for my meager double TR. Took too long to process BUT - I was quite worried about the return of my visa by flight date. Called and they sorted it quickly and i had it next day. 2009.

In 2008 I had a very poor experience - the woman (DC) accused me of potentially being on a blacklist (read criminal) simply because without a double TR in hand, have no idea when I would need to leave. Maybe w/ extention it's 6mos??? What a waste of money, changing discount air tickets no?

So, I called (will you give me a double?) ...."why not, you blacklist?! (you a criminal?!). This was in my own native country and I was not at all pleased about being called a criminal by a foreigner in my own country. That was quite over the top.

Big thing is to just have all your ducks in a row prior and yes i too and 4mln thb liquid and yes I still needed ticket out and blah blah blah.

Go back to using LA, that's your region and while you can go in - just do the Express Mail w/ trackers. They don't want to see you anyway so why complicate?

Bear in mind that these women are underpaid, overworked persons in a foreign country. They have to deal with all sorts of people.

PS: its doubles all round so don't complicate your life and try for a triple.

For last 2 years I had had doubles but not even used the secind as I have gone off to travel hither and yon.

When she told you that your name appeared in the "black list", it does not mean you are a criminal!The black list may merely show visitors who may have broken immigration rules by overstaying or for some other offences in Thailand.Usually, they are not even expected to tell you there exist such a list and just say your application is turned down!

i dropped by the thai consulate in hull, uk, last week, chatted with the receptionist about the visa rules and got a 1 year multiple entry non imigrant type O in about 20 minutes, thats 4, 3 month, back to back.

i get this a lot with thais here and in siam, treat them with respect, follow the rules, be friendly and alls well, whatever you do, don't think of them as fat, arrogant and stupid or they will give you the respect you deserve, i.e. none.

wether its because of the tonal languague or less cluttered minds i often think thai folk know what we're thinking better than we know ourselves, be aware!

the bumf says a tourist visa is for visits for tourism, if you want to visit friends, make an extended visit even to do scuba course or thai boxing etc you need type 0 non imigrant visa.

i also have 5 fine stamps for overstay- mai pen rai

One of the reasons why I try to avoid the US.

I am scandinavian and even look very scandinavian but when US as a country are so scared and your efforts to feel safe, you make the wrong decsions all the time.

I avoid as much as I can to go to the US but it can't be avoided at all times.

Not judging the overall american but your politicians could really have a reality check.

Let go of the world outside the US and you will automatically feel safer.

I don't know many countries in the world that let people from another country, apart from the EU, to have 6 months visa, but I do think the embassy staff could be a lot nicer and friendlier towards people applying for visa to their country.

It's the first outpost for the "land of smiles" arf, arf. for people visiting, investing and spending their hard earned money.

I am living in Thailand myself but at times I am considering other neighbouring countries.

\Mik

OK this is about a Visa issue. Yes, consulates are more accommodating than embassies, so OP, use one.

Now, it is bad enough to be bashed by our cousins across the pond, but someone from a Scandinavian country? The three Scandinavians I know living here in the LOS receive a "disability" check every month for somewhere around 100,000 baht, because they have dry skin and an alcohol problem. The US and Britain have huge (illegal) immigration problems and that is where the stringent rules come into play. Before over generalizing get your facts straight.

Edited by mizzi39

I don't think the screws are being tightened as much as they're just enforcing existing rules better than the half-assed way they used to.

I've said this on another thread. Why do so many tourists think Thailand or any 3rd world country should bend over just to get your cash, no country that I know of allows tourists to enter for more than 6 months, anytime longer then you must justify your stay (married, working, edu, etc.) I think we are lucky Thailand accepts over 50s so easily, many countries don't! For India everyone must apply for a 6 month visitors visa to enter, it's not cheap and you must make 2 visits to the consulate/embassy, but never would I say "what don't they want my money, I'm loaded, your shooting yourselves in the foot refusing MEEE!!"

But here's a good question, why does someone want to live in Thailand below 50, not want to work or start a family?

Over 50 - well done you've earned your retirement, welcome in.

Under 50 don't need to work - well done you've earned your retirement, but why don't you want to get married, ah! you want to play the field pretend your 20 again, cheapen the Thai image, throw your money around the bars, take advantage of our poor, think your cool.

Us married guys think you are sad, and hate the cheap image that you help to portray around the world, so good if they refuse people after 6 months. I hope they start tightening the belt on retirees in the future. There is nothing more disgusting than seeing a sad fat 60 yr old bouncing a petite 20 something on his knee in a bar and gropping her. This is why the authorities don't want you here, and the day they can afford to manage without your dirty money they will.

For those of you who have a much younger lady, please don't be offended by my post it is not aimed at those who come here and settle with a lady, just the sad ones that think every thai lady is available to them cos they got a couple of K in their pocket.

I don't think the screws are being tightened as much as they're just enforcing existing rules better than the half-assed way they used to.

I've said this on another thread. Why do so many tourists think Thailand or any 3rd world country should bend over just to get your cash, no country that I know of allows tourists to enter for more than 6 months, anytime longer then you must justify your stay (married, working, edu, etc.) I think we are lucky Thailand accepts over 50s so easily, many countries don't! For India everyone must apply for a 6 month visitors visa to enter, it's not cheap and you must make 2 visits to the consulate/embassy, but never would I say "what don't they want my money, I'm loaded, your shooting yourselves in the foot refusing MEEE!!"

But here's a good question, why does someone want to live in Thailand below 50, not want to work or start a family?

Over 50 - well done you've earned your retirement, welcome in.

Under 50 don't need to work - well done you've earned your retirement, but why don't you want to get married, ah! you want to play the field pretend your 20 again, cheapen the Thai image, throw your money around the bars, take advantage of our poor, think your cool.

Us married guys think you are sad, and hate the cheap image that you help to portray around the world, so good if they refuse people after 6 months. I hope they start tightening the belt on retirees in the future. There is nothing more disgusting than seeing a sad fat 60 yr old bouncing a petite 20 something on his knee in a bar and gropping her. This is why the authorities don't want you here, and the day they can afford to manage without your dirty money they will.

For those of you who have a much younger lady, please don't be offended by my post it is not aimed at those who come here and settle with a lady, just the sad ones that think every thai lady is available to them cos they got a couple of K in their pocket.

Agree with most of your post. I am 41 years old, happily married with a 15 month old son and I have been living here for 3 years now. I am below retirement age so I still have to work and live off of some investment from the States, which is enough to supplement , but not enough to live off of comfortably. Thailand is like a pendulum, and sometimes rules of enforced, sometimes not. I do agree with the "What about Me?" that is just the pretentious falangs talking who feel a sense of entitlement. This breed of falang does not repesent the rest of us. The fact of the matter is, is that it is not about YOU! Thailand shoots itself in the foot constantly, loosing billions of baht in falang revenue, and guess what? They survive without YOU, and will continue to do so. it is called resilience.

As far as the 60 something flirting and bouncing the 20 something around on his knee, :D Thailand's image has nothing to do with the falangs coming here and "exploiting" such image, but Thailands failure to be activly concerned, and take steps to change that image. It is there passivness that keeps them third world (or should i be optimistic and say developing). :)

Put me down as a vote for NOT CARING who anyone chooses for their sexual partner, as long as both are of legal age and WILLING. Oy vey, such moralists here! If Thailand ever wants to wage a major moral crackdown on "inappropriate" foreigners, it warms the heart to know they will have an army of foreigners to help them, cluck cluck cluck ... :):D :D

Edited by Jingthing

Put me down as a vote for NOT CARING who anyone chooses for their sexual partner, as long as both are of legal age and WILLING. Oy vey, such moralists here! If Thailand ever wants to wage a major moral crackdown on "inappropriate" foreigners, it warms the heart to know they will have an army of foreigners to help them, cluck cluck cluck ... :):D:D

Nor do I care who anyone chooses as their sexual partner. Just wish the 60 somethings would bounce their 20 somethings in the privacy of a room instead of an open air bar. Not all of us have strong stomachs like you jingthing. :D

Put me down as a vote for NOT CARING who anyone chooses for their sexual partner, as long as both are of legal age and WILLING. Oy vey, such moralists here! If Thailand ever wants to wage a major moral crackdown on "inappropriate" foreigners, it warms the heart to know they will have an army of foreigners to help them, cluck cluck cluck ... :):D:D

Nor do I care who anyone chooses as their sexual partner. Just wish the 60 somethings would bounce their 20 somethings in the privacy of a room instead of an open air bar. Not all of us have strong stomachs like you jingthing. :D

So don't look.

This crack down on tourists is the government being pro-active at weeding out all these pervs. Some of you may have mis-read my post, sexual partner is one thing, age gap/gender not my concern, it's the saddo that takes advantage of these young ladies because they have a few baht to throw about. Yes there are many falang in Thailand that are discussed with what we see, and it doesn't look good to see these images of the bar scene spread all over the world, I can't wait for the day that this country can support itself enough to say "Oye - no you can't come in you pervert take your cash somewhere else". For those genuinely looking to settle they'll have 6 months to find a nice lady, or get out :)

Jingthing, try keeping your money in your pocket and see where it gets you. I have to walk around with my 8yr old daughter sometimes, shall I tell her to close her eyes as well?

Yes what goes on in Thailand would go on even without falang, but it's very descrete (normally disguised as a karaoke bar). And there would be a lot less of this easy money so they would be inclined to go get a proper job instead of taking the Thai get rich quick scheme that so many of you offer.

If you know anything about thailand then you would know Thailand changes their rules like someone changes their undies. Crackdowns are temporary and always have been. How long did the 90day in 180 scheme last before they scrapped it? :)

ahh ladies are being taken advantage of? :D Oh my you really have no clue mate. :D Well if you are dumb enough to be walking around a bar area with a 8yr old then you should tell her the truth.

Edited by britmaveric

This crack down on tourists is the government being pro-active at weeding out all these pervs. Some of you may have mis-read my post, sexual partner is one thing, age gap/gender not my concern, it's the saddo that takes advantage of these young ladies because they have a few baht to throw about. Yes there are many falang in Thailand that are discussed with what we see, and it doesn't look good to see these images of the bar scene spread all over the world, I can't wait for the day that this country can support itself enough to say "Oye - no you can't come in you pervert take your cash somewhere else". For those genuinely looking to settle they'll have 6 months to find a nice lady, or get out :)

Jingthing, try keeping your money in your pocket and see where it gets you. I have to walk around with my 8yr old daughter sometimes, shall I tell her to close her eyes as well?

Yes what goes on in Thailand would go on even without falang, but it's very descrete (normally disguised as a karaoke bar). And there would be a lot less of this easy money so they would be inclined to go get a proper job instead of taking the Thai get rich quick scheme that so many of you offer.

Usually I don't get involved in such threads, much prefering to live vicariously through reading them, but I couldn't resist this one.

If you live anywhere there is an affluent group of Thais you'll notice it's not just the 'perv' foreigners who are messing around with women young enough to be their daughters.  In fact I'd be willing to be jingthing's ass to a barn dance that there's at least 10x as many Thais with giks or mia nois no less than 10-15 years younger then they are compared to the number of those evil falangs 'taking advantage' of the poor Issarn ladies.

And you don't honestly believe that the majority of women will hook up with a poor man do you?  Just like it's genetically dictated to a man that he has to spread his seed far and wide, the women have an imperative to provide for that offspring.  If they have to do it to the tune of old wrinkley scrotums slapping off their rears, well sometimes you have to take one for the team.  I don't care where you're from; women in the West are just as bad!  Men in the East are just as bad!

While I can appreciate your concern, you can't change nature.  It's obvious you don't want your daughter to fall into this 'trap'; but if you've ever taken her to the mall I'm sure that she's seen it going on with the locals.

I believe you also over-stress our (paying 'guests') importance.  We have little influence on Thailand--no matter how important we wish to be.  The ingrained culture is what is going to continue long after you and I have turned to dust.

If you know anything about thailand then you would know Thailand changes their rules like someone changes their undies. Crackdowns are temporary and always have been. How long did the 90day in 180 scheme last before they scrapped it? :)

Who said they scapped it I thought they'd reduced it further to 15 days x3 over 6 months.

So I take my family to Pattaya (or any other resort in Thailand) for a little holiday, but we must all be tucked in our hotel beds before dark, so my daughter doesn't see the antics of all the saddos down the sois. Get real of course we wanna go out for the evening.

I can't change what I see, neither am I trying to, but the government can and are slowly-but-surely, they hate the image they have overseas. if you are acting agrily towards my comments then I guess I must be talking about you.

I can't help the way I feel, these people and their antics disgust me and I can't wait for the day that Thailand is full of nice tourists who go home at the end of their holiday, and expats that all settle here do so with their partner, and when they go out it's simply for a few beers (a bit like we see back home in Europe or U.S.).

^you will be long dead before that ever happens. :D

You are referring to land crossing that are 15days, but easy enough to take flights in/out. (unlimited 30day travel which is not a problem for a lot of people)

Oh btw I am not angered at your comments, but I think your amusing yet naive. :D

The best thing about thailand is live and let live attitude... it is what it is. Just enjoy yourself and stop worrying about what others are doing because at the end of the day not much will change. If you want things to be like US/Europe then go live there. :)

Edited by britmaveric

Excuse me. Where did I announce anything about MY behavior? How bloody presumptious, typical really of the moral crusaders ...

dave_boo

In fact I'd be willing to be jingthing's ass to a barn dance that there's at least 10x as many Thais with giks or mia nois no less than 10-15 years younger then they are compared to the number of those evil falangs 'taking advantage' of the poor Issarn ladies.

OMG, I'm going out right now to buy a nuclear chastity belt. Please keep my ass out of this, believe me, you do not want to go there!

Edited by Jingthing

Who said they scapped it I thought they'd reduced it further to 15 days x3 over 6 months.

I could be wrong, but before the deal was that you could get unlimited land border stamps. Then it was that you could get 3x land border stamps in a 180 day period. Now it's unlimited land border stamps for 15 days and unlimited airport stamps for 30....but I've been wrong before!

So I take my family to Pattaya (or any other resort in Thailand) for a little holiday, but we must all be tucked in our hotel beds before dark, so my daughter doesn't see the antics of all the saddos down the sois. Get real of course we wanna go out for the evening.

Just out of curiousity....why would you take your family to Pattaya for a vacation? Seems like the last place a respectable upstanding citizen would want to go...unless he or his has ties there...there's plenty of other spots that have MUCH nicer beaches and MUCH fewer lecherous old men 'taking advantage' of the poor, backwards, innocent, youthful flowers.

I can't change what I see, neither am I trying to, but the government can and are slowly-but-surely, they hate the image they have overseas. if you are acting agrily towards my comments then I guess I must be talking about you.

Let's see....a couple of areas out of the whole country where it's known world wide for being the prostitution capital versus violence in the South, bombings in malls in Bangkok, airport closures, attempts to reneg on firetruck deals, violent protests, human rights violations, etc.....yeah I can see how the prostitution is the bigger problem in the World's eyes....

I can't help the way I feel, these people and their antics disgust me and I can't wait for the day that Thailand is full of nice tourists who go home at the end of their holiday, and expats that all settle here do so with their partner, and when they go out it's simply for a few beers (a bit like we see back home in Europe or U.S.).

Grandpa always said "Sh!t in one hand and wish in the other...see which fills first".

OMG, I'm going out right now to buy a nuclear chastity belt. Please keep my ass out of this, believe me, you do not want to go there!

You have an excellent sense of humour and I knew that you wouldn't get too worked up about it....plus I wasn't too sure if my numbers are correct and I wouldn't want to have to pay up :)

As a side note, with Ninja Gladiator going on about this topic, does he realise just how prevelant prostitution is in LOS? No less than 2 km from my house they have a 'Snooker Club' that's an extremely thin guise for a vvhorehaus....and you don't get much more rural than where I am....care to hazard a guess as to who all the 'clients' are?

I could be wrong, but before the deal was that you could get unlimited land border stamps. Then it was that you could get 3x land border stamps in a 180 day period. Now it's unlimited land border stamps for 15 days and unlimited airport stamps for 30....but I've been wrong before!

4 land border crossings is likely to trigger a report to Bangkok immigration for investigation into your activities.

Just out of curiousity....why would you take your family to Pattaya for a vacation? Seems like the last place a respectable upstanding citizen would want to go...unless he or his has ties there...there's plenty of other spots that have MUCH nicer beaches and MUCH fewer lecherous old men 'taking advantage' of the poor, backwards, innocent, youthful flowers.

Let's see....a couple of areas out of the whole country where it's known world wide for being the prostitution capital versus violence in the South, bombings in malls in Bangkok, airport closures, attempts to reneg on firetruck deals, violent protests, human rights violations, etc.....yeah I can see how the prostitution is the bigger problem in the World's eyes....

Grandpa always said "Sh!t in one hand and wish in the other...see which fills first".

Hahahahaha ! I love the Grandpa saying!!

Now, it is bad enough to be bashed by our cousins across the pond, but someone from a Scandinavian country? The three Scandinavians I know living here in the LOS receive a "disability" check every month for somewhere around 100,000 baht, because they have dry skin and an alcohol problem. The US and Britain have huge (illegal) immigration problems and that is where the stringent rules come into play. Before over generalizing get your facts straight.

I am to get my facts straight? What you just brought up with disability check for Swedish people is just a myth, lies and maybe history in the past +25 years ago.

It is possible to cheat your way through the Swedish social wellfare system but not to that degree of claiming dry skin or even alcoholic problem.

That comment from you is just fiction and to mention 100 000 TBH is also false, there's a limit how much disability money you get in Sweden and its half or less what you mentioned.

This is off topic so I won't dwelve in it more, I just wish that people wouldn't write so much nonsense what they know nothing about.

I agree with another poster, Thailand are in fact more generous than most other countries with visa and work permits.

To say that the US have illegal immigration problems, well isn't that the problem you have been struggling with ever since you stole the land from the indians?

I am not anti american, only that I don't listen to the bs that especially US politicians, news channels spread around.

Sorry to say, many americans, too many, do believe in that crap.

\Mik

I am to get my facts straight? What you just brought up with disability check for Swedish people is just a myth, lies and maybe history in the past +25 years ago.

It is possible to cheat your way through the Swedish social wellfare system but not to that degree of claiming dry skin or even alcoholic problem.

That comment from you is just fiction and to mention 100 000 TBH is also false, there's a limit how much disability money you get in Sweden and its half or less what you mentioned.

This is off topic so I won't dwelve in it more, I just wish that people wouldn't write so much nonsense what they know nothing about.

I agree with another poster, Thailand are in fact more generous than most other countries with visa and work permits.

To say that the US have illegal immigration problems, well isn't that the problem you have been struggling with ever since you stole the land from the indians?

I am not anti american, only that I don't listen to the bs that especially US politicians, news channels spread around.

Sorry to say, many americans, too many, do believe in that crap.

\Mik

Oh, yes, I think you truly do listen to a lot of BS that news channels spread around, so i will not get into a pissing contest with you. You mentioned that you were Scandinavian. I may not be the smartest tool in the shed, but Scandinavia is a region, and not limited to Sweden, but Norway, and Denmark as well. Sorry if i missed a few other countries.

The dry skin and alcoholism was meant to be a joke. The disability check is no joke, since i know 3 expats here who may be milking your system, for very arbitrary "conditions" but according to them this is business as usual in their country (Norway in particular). Wish it was that easy in the US, but i work here in the LOS, so mai bpen rai. The US is made up of immigrants. We are not a "race" as so many would like to believe, and the US did not become the biggest super power that the world has ever known by trying to colonize the rest of you.

You can hate our politics, policies and politicians, many Americans surely speak out against them, but remember The whole EU has their hands in our cookie jar for their own self serving reasons.

I find it comical that so many non Americans know so much about our history, policies, politics, politicians, etc. but most Americans don't even know who your leaders are. Not because we are sooooo ignorant, it is just we do not give a rats ass. What has Scandinavia even done for the US or any other nation? We don't ride your coat tails.

Sorry for being off topic. :)

Edited by mizzi39