Mini Cooper Price

corkscrew

Mini's are wayyyy overpriced.

What can u get for the a similar (new) price here in LOS:

-Audi A4 2.9M

-BMW320i 2.6

-Lexus IS250 3M

-Lotus Elise 3.9M (only 700K more than cooper S)

-Mercedes 180 sport 2.8M

-WRX impreza 2.4M

-VW Scirocco 2.45M/Golf 2M

(prices are from 'Carmagazine' July09 issue)

You'd have to be crazy to get a mini in this country

DM

• 2 weeks later...

I am moving to Thailand next year and would like to bring my Mini S with me, although I understand the import duties are around 200% +/- of the original purchase price of the car in my country... This is what is driving up the cost of Minis in Thailand, it's not the price of the car but the import duties...

I'm thinking about having mine shipped to KL, then get a vehicle visa and drive it across the border from Malaysia...

Mini's are wayyyy overpriced.

What can u get for the a similar (new) price here in LOS:

-Audi A4 2.9M

-BMW320i 2.6

-Lexus IS250 3M

-Lotus Elise 3.9M (only 700K more than cooper S)

-Mercedes 180 sport 2.8M

-WRX impreza 2.4M

-VW Scirocco 2.45M/Golf 2M

(prices are from 'Carmagazine' July09 issue)

You'd have to be crazy to get a mini in this country

DM

See many crazy people here then judging by the amount of them, Cheap in the Uk at about 700000 baht read it and weep.

I am moving to Thailand next year and would like to bring my Mini S with me, although I understand the import duties are around 200% +/- of the original purchase price of the car in my country... This is what is driving up the cost of Minis in Thailand, it's not the price of the car but the import duties...

More like 300% of the value they assess it to be, not your value.

I'm thinking about having mine shipped to KL, then get a vehicle visa and drive it across the border from Malaysia...

If its not an ASEAN car, you dont get an easy vehicle visa either, you need to leave a massive cash bond (yes you guessed it the same 300% of theier value) or bank guarantee with them. Should it get nicked or damaged, goodbye bond !!

they sure are nice for running around town in though, easy to park ect..

No easier than a Yaris or Jazz

well sure, but minis are a much nicer inside and out than either of those two, not to mention a little more spirited to drive.

• 2 years later...

Actually it is a very easily doable option, as long as you don't mind doing "visa-runs" with your car every 30 days.

There's NO 'vehicle visa' ! but when you show up @ thai border Sadao, you'll be let in for 30 days, just have your ownership papers with you. Don't listen to LivinLOS , no problem teprorary entering Thailand as a turist on ANY foreign car..really thought of doing it myself, but monthly border runs from Bangkok didn't seem fun ! Btw. i did used my malaysian car this way for a few months around 7-8 years ago, as i say, the only trouble is you need 2 take it out of the country every month.