Celeron M Or Pentium M?

Uncle_Ho

I have narrowed my laptop list down to compaq M2017AP(pentium m 1.5 ghz) and M2007AP ( celeron M 1.3 ghz)

the only differences between those two model are 1) 3000 baht 2) Processor ...

Should i pay 4000 more to get Pentium M.

I will use the notebook for Visio, Checking emails, Web surfing, Dreamweaver, Flash, Photoshop CS ( once in a while) , watching movies ( sometimes) .

Whats the main differences between pentium and celeron.

Do you guys know any notebook shop i can go where they will not add 7% vat ?

Any good shops for notebook at Pantip or Fortune IT mall ?

Thanks you in advance.

Cheers !!

Global Solutions in Pantip (different branches on different floors) is the main player in retail of notebooks.

Several of my friends (and company) bought from them. Never a problem. (Good after service, own repair service). Their prices may seem a little high at first. Just shop around to look for the best price and bargain with them.

They help you with tax free matters.

Pentium. According to a geek friend of mine they've really improved their chip design since the debacle that was Pentium 4 and can now be used again with confidence. Until the next time they rush out a product just to release before the opposition that is.

Often times it's hard to do the cost-benefit analysis in computer purchases, but this one is an easy one. Get the pentium M. The performance difference between that and the Celeron will be tremendous. Your computer use sounds a bit more heavy than just checking emails occasionally.

You could find benchmarks for the Celeron M online, but let me just make a note about my 2.0 Celeron computer I have for backup. It is tremendously slower than either the 1.8 pentium M comp I'm typing this from or even the 1.8 pentium 4 I used a few years ago.

Uncle Ho - While the Pentium M (M=Moble) is certainly far superior to the Celeron M in performance, there are other options you may wish to look into, such as a standard Pentium 4 or the standard as well as mobil AMD processors, such as Turion M, Athlon M or Sempron M. (More info here).

If you plan to use the new laptop mainly in the portable (battery) mode, either the Celeron M, Pentium M or AMD M's will provide longer battery usage than the standard equivelant processor. If you intend to use this laptop mainly as a desktop replacement, with only occassional moble (battery) usage, then you may want to look into the same laptop, but with the standard P4-HT or AMD processor. (You'll probably save $200-$300 (US) which should be suffecient to pay for either a larger HDD, more memory or possibly a DVD/CD burner.)

Like a child in a candy store, there are so many choices these days, it can become confusing and difficult to make a selection. In the end, if you take your time to investigate/study all your options, I'm sure you'll end up with a great system.

good luck :o

Good advice from waldwolf.

The Celeron is at the end of its life now. Will be obsolete soon.

No-0ne has mentioned this but I think I am correct in saying the the Celeron is 16bit and the Pentium 32bit. Makes a BIG diference.

I am an AMD fan. So go for the pentium or AMD.

As you noted the only difference between the two models of compaq computers is the processor.

The major differences between the two will be clock speed the pentium is 1.5, and the celeron 1.3 and the Level 2 cache on the pentium is double that of the celeron. There should be a noticable difference with battery life of the pentium as the pentium has far better battery management (during idle times) than the celeron. Both are based on the same 90nm architecture.

Regardless of which computer you decide on you may have to buy some addition ram as they both come with the bare minimum 256MB. (Actually only 192MB as 64MB is stolen by the video memory), if you are going to be installing windows xp,(for windows 2000 or linux it will probably do fine). As you are also aware you will also need an o/s as it only comes with dos. If you are going to buy in Panthip, then that will not be a problem.

Both the Celeron M and Pentium M are based around the same core (Dothan-1024) which is a re-worked Pentium 3. Pentium M has double the Level 2 cache and a better power management system (Speedstep)

As slimdog says, they have the same core, but the celeron is a crippled version, with less speed, less features, and less cache. If the price difference is only 4,000 baht, then get the Pentium M. I think I already mentioned this in my answer to your other thread.

In the past, compaq notebooks have been known to have battery problems, namely their batteries deteriorate a lot faster than normal when you're using AC power. I don't know about the current generation, but I also don't like the design of their cheaper notebooks ("chunky" comes to mind).

Edited by Firefoxx