Miracle At Central Crossroads

KarenBravo

Out on school holidays so maybe they figure kids have a few baht in their pockets.  Now the big question is, what are they doing to them when they get stopped?  Phoning their parents?  Giving them a ticket?  Confiscating their bikes and telling them to come to the police station to pick up later?  Checking for the non existent license? Nothing but a verbal warning?

I went past at lunch time. The BIB have confiscated their bikes. There are perhaps 25 bikes parked up there now.

They confiscate the bikes until the fine is paid at the police station.

This is a good thing. Sooner or later, the more you get stopped and fined, well...............you're gonna stop what you're doing. You're gonna wear a helmet, get a licence, or your parents are going to take the bikes off you.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending which side of the fence you are on) in the UK the parents can be held responsible for their miscreant kids. So if a kid is out riding a motorbike that his parents have bought then the parents can also be fined for knowingly allowing their kids to break the law.

I do find it rather amazing that parents buy motorbikes for their kids knowing they dont have a licence.

:D

I went past at lunch time. The BIB have confiscated their bikes. There are perhaps 25 bikes parked up there now.

They confiscate the bikes until the fine is paid at the police station.

This is a good thing. Sooner or later, the more you get stopped and fined, well...............you're gonna stop what you're doing. You're gonna wear a helmet, get a licence, or your parents are going to take the bikes off you.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending which side of the fence you are on) in the UK the parents can be held responsible for their miscreant kids. So if a kid is out riding a motorbike that his parents have bought then the parents can also be fined for knowingly allowing their kids to break the law.

I do find it rather amazing that parents buy motorbikes for their kids knowing they dont have a licence.

But with little or no public transport how else do these kidsget to school?

That crossroads is dangerous at any time; we were crossing on a green light fro Phuket Town towards Kathu, had moved 5 yds slowly, when a Camry with green number plates went through on the red from the north doing at least 50. When will the police stop these dangerous taxi drivers.before we get killed? :)

But with little or no public transport how else do these kidsget to school?

That crossroads is dangerous at any time; we were crossing on a green light fro Phuket Town towards Kathu, had moved 5 yds slowly, when a Camry with green number plates went through on the red from the north doing at least 50. When will the police stop these dangerous taxi drivers.before we get killed? :)

Oh pur-leez Wellington. How did they get to school before they had motorbikes?!

They got to school on the HUNDREDS of mainly private songthaows, that's how. These are private pickup trucks, converted so they have bench seats in them, for the express use of taking kids to and from school. They do not ply a route normally throughout the day. They just take kids to and from school. Maybe you havent seen them?

Or..........their parents take them.

However they come to school is up to the parents. Some parents have made the decision that it is OK to let an underage child, with no licence or insurance and usually no helmet, to ride to school on a motorcycle.

I'm sorry. This is indefensible behaviour.

I've said it before, this is a DEVELOPING country. Its laws are not fully fledged and the populaces' personal transport choices have grown quicker than legislation can keep up.

In time, we will have stronger policing, with harsher fines, and more realistic driving tests. This takes time, but it WILL come. There is a change happening right now. The police are clamping down, certainly in Phuket town, on yobbish and illegal behaviour on motorcycles. It takes time to change, but its definitely happening.

The taxi drivers you talk about driving erratically. This too will change. Although frankly, taxi drivers in private saloon cars are not exactly doyens of high driving standards in any country !

When we visit the wifes sister her kids always try to Shanghai my m/bike. Wife thinks I should let them and gets a cob on when I tell her I don't want them to get killed while out joy riding. Think it is way past time for road laws to enforced for safety and not tea money.

What you mean it is actually against the law for 4 laughing 12 year olds on a motorbike to speed past the police, with no helmets or licence, on there way to school :)

12 year olds? They'd be the ones with a year or two of riding experience then? Sometimes I'm passed by what appear to be 10 year olds, carrying younger sister and brother as pillions.

** What is the actual legal age for riding a motorscooter? 15?

12 year olds? They'd be the ones with a year or two of riding experience then? Sometimes I'm passed by what appear to be 10 year olds, carrying younger sister and brother as pillions.

** What is the actual legal age for riding a motorscooter? 15?

I think it varies - from 7 in the villages to around 10 in towns and citys. I don't think this is written in law but the police have no problem allowing kids of these ages ride around freely :)

At last. Some enforcement to stop these young drivers killing themselves. I really hope the police continue to enforce license checks on young kids and helmet checks. Plus actually chase and stop them when they see crazy/dangerous driving. I'll dream on ....

Chase a kid on a motorbike? Think it through. What would some kids do when chased?

They'll take off at high speed. A pursuit would therefore put the lives of others as well as the child in danger. One of the reasons why police forces now break off high speed pursuits unless it is a very serious crime is that the risk of collateral damage and injury is too great. True, TIT where a Pattaya swat team member will fire his weapon from a fast moving car at an assumed stolen car, but still, I don't want to be the plodding tubby pedestrian that has to jump out of the way of a terrified kid on a speeding motorbike. High speed chases in Thailand are more often than not unsuccessful, so why put lives at risk over a non violent infraction?

Maybe you meant an attempt to pursue with judgement applied? However, that then begs the question of whether or not the BiB in pursuit has the reasoning ability to realize when a chase is dangerous? I don't think so.

Maybe you meant an attempt to pursue with judgement applied? However, that then begs the question of whether or not the BiB in pursuit has the reasoning ability to realize when a chase is dangerous? I don't think so.

Yes, agreed. Chase was the wrong term, I was more thinking about an attempt to stop them, or at least take a note of the number plate, and follow up. But that will never happen here in Thailand.