Legal Services Company In Chiang Mai

monkeyofdoom

to be truthful i have NOT had a good experience with any legal firm,,they either overcharge, dont know what, they are talking about, or send you off on a wild goose chase.

I know its not much help.

Maybe one of the bigger firms in Bkk (with a good name) can recommend, or your embassy will have a list. ?

Does anyone have good experiences with a legal services company in Chiang Mai, apart from Sunbelt?

I would be using them for business accounting and for visa assistance as well.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated!

I have used ICO they won a case for me againts another lawyer.

Kiettisak Phantawong (Barrister at Law)

Committee of Lawyers Council

Election Commission of Thailand

National Human Rights Commission, Thailand

Executive officer of The National People's Assembley

Committee of National Economic and Social Advisory Council

Tel: 053-126045-6

Mob: 081-9511100

Email: icothai(at)gmail.com

Be clear about the cost and about what they will do for you, get it on paper.

You could also ask about a discount.

Good Luck.

Does anyone have good experiences with a legal services company in Chiang Mai, apart from Sunbelt?

If you PM me I will give you the contact details of a very good one here who can handle all visas, translations, permits etc.

Be very careful when retaining the services of a shyster here or in any other country. I would do a search on TV in the C.M. forum for something about this firm. I recall more than one member having been ripped off by a firm with a name like that.

If he searched on Thaivisa he would learn a lot about certain firms in CM. ICO is no longer recommended by the expats club. The best recommendation is to ask some good thai friends for their personal recommendations. Expats have limited experience - maybe just one contact with one lawyer. Our recommendations are not as broad as a Thais would be. They can recommend through years of experience with a firm.

Be very careful when retaining the services of a shyster here or in any other country. I would do a search on TV in the C.M. forum for something about this firm. I recall more than one member having been ripped off by a firm with a name like that.

If he searched on Thaivisa he would learn a lot about certain firms in CM. ICO is no longer recommended by the expats club. The best recommendation is to ask some good thai friends for their personal recommendations. Expats have limited experience - maybe just one contact with one lawyer. Our recommendations are not as broad as a Thais would be. They can recommend through years of experience with a firm.

Avoid the "expat clubs" as well! They are like a cult, with members giving high pressure sales pitches to potential 'targets'.

Asking for an accountant from a legal service would kind of overkill in my opinion. Visa help that would require a lawyer would not be the norm either. There are good business accountants who handle accounts for most of the foreign/thai companies here in CM, ask around. The two areas you are interested in receiving assistance/help would probably be best served by different individuals.

Avoid the "expat clubs" as well! They are like a cult, with members giving high pressure sales pitches to potential 'targets'.

High pressure sales pitches to members???.or as you put it potential targets i have not had one high pressure situation put in front of me in 2 years of meetings.I have through talking to other people that attend solved a lot of problems .So i cannot agree with you regarding this comment.

High pressure sales pitches to members???.or as you put it potential targets i have not had one high pressure situation put in front of me in 2 years of meetings.I have through talking to other people that attend solved a lot of problems .So i cannot agree with you regarding this comment.

Farangs trying to make money off of retirees/'new arrivals'; farangs who are new to Thailand. High pressure sales pitches for legal and accounting services, attempts to convince them to move their nest egg to C.M. (to be invested into their financial management companies), expensive Thai language courses, temporary housing at inflated prices, etc., etc. Shameful...

I agree there is no high pressure; it is more subtle than that. Lots of "free" advice, a few meetings, more "free" advice, then wallop - the sting comes when a lawyer is recommended at a special price.

Talk to some Thai friends, you could well get recommended to a lawyer that that family knows, trusts and has used for years. Being farang you may or not be charged something over the top but you are less likely to be taken for a ride.

I have used ICO they won a case for me againts another lawyer.

Kiettisak Phantawong (Barrister at Law)

Committee of Lawyers Council

Election Commission of Thailand

National Human Rights Commission, Thailand

Executive officer of The National People's Assembley

Committee of National Economic and Social Advisory Council

Tel: 053-126045-6

Mob: 081-9511100

Email: icothai(at)gmail.com

Be clear about the cost and about what they will do for you, get it on paper.

You could also ask about a discount.

Good Luck.

I was told by a friend that Kiettisak Phantawong, also known as Punto, had been struck off. I have not confirmed this myself, but it is wise to check this out before hiring them.

Sadly I fell victim to the ICO and know of a few more horror stories from people that had dealt with them.

I was told that he still operates within his office, but passes on clients to some of his associates. Again, not confirmed. His wife, Khun Oi, also gives legal advice for a fee, but is not a lawyer.

For those who decide to use the services of any so-called lawyer or legal services in Thailand: BUYER BEWARE.

Edited by webfact
email in quote altered to avoid spam //WF

I am currently suing ICO for professional negligence,take a chance if you want

My Bangkok lawyer advised it would not be cost effective for me to sue ( obviously using his services) because of the location but i would be interested in using a chiangmai lawyer. Could you pm me?

The expat club - which is of course a private company not a club in the accepted definition of the word - should never have got involved in my view. a "club" should not have conflicts of interest.

I am currently suing ICO for professional negligence,take a chance if you want

My Bangkok lawyer advised it would not be cost effective for me to sue ( obviously using his services) because of the location but i would be interested in using a chiangmai lawyer. Could you pm me?

The expat club - which is of course a private company not a club in the accepted definition of the word - should never have got involved in my view. a "club" should not have conflicts of interest.

I posted full details of this company before but a MOD binned it within a day,I will send you full details and the name of my lawyer(she can't speak English),You might want to speak with sasseinie as well.

The OP stated that he/she needs help with business accounting and visa assistance. You can get all the visa's you want with the help of the senior members and moderators in the visa section of thaivisa. They are great. As for accounting services - hire an accountant (watch him/her closely). You don't need a shyster.

• 1 year later...