• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 36

60 Minutes blasted after replacing harris word salad…

2. 45

Reasons of change

3. 45

Reasons of change

4. 45

Reasons of change

5. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

6. 112

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

7. 45

Reasons of change

8. 45

Reasons of change

9. 6

Thai woman sends husband to prison for raping 13 year old niece

10. 45

Reasons of change

11. 10

Why Doesnt "Me Too" Apply to Democrats?

12. 123

Why Do You Even Drink?

13. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

Laptop Computer - Acer - Requires New Cooling Fan

bucklt

Compared to my everyday hands-on approach,I would appreciate help from those of you more 'savvy' with issues about computer repairs/spare parts etc.

I purchased an ACER Laptop (TravelMate 4051LMi) about 4 years ago,whilst still living in the UK.

It was originally made in China.

Four years later, and it still remains the best computer I have ever owned. I take it everywhere with me!

Now, it 'sounds' - bearings wearing out noise? - like I need a new cooling fan. I approached ACER in Chiang Mai and they contacted ACER Bangkok, who in turn replied that there are no spares available as that particular model fan is no longer manufactured.

Questions; Can I source an alternate fan from somewhere/website etc?

Is there someone in Chiang Mai who could do both for me i.e source fan and fit it?

All help appreciated as I don't want to have to go and buy a new laptop for the cost of a cooling fan.

Thanks in anticipation,

Bucklt. :)

Can you open up the laptop and see if the fan is stamped with a manufacturer and model number. If so, you could phone up a few computer shops (maybe Panthip) and ask for the specific, or equivilent, part. Check out the manufacturer's (of the fan) website too.

The laptop's well past its guarantee, so opening it up shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by jasreeve17

Can you open up the laptop and see if the fan is stamped with a manufacturer and model number. If so, you could phone up a few computer shops (maybe Panthip) and ask for the specific, or equivilent, part. Check out the manufacturer's (of the fan) website too.

The laptop's well past its guarantee, so opening it up shouldn't be a problem.

I did try that very 'idea' last week Jasreeve17!

But, once I removed all the screws in the bottom case, it still would not seperate from the main body, and I felt uncomfortable about 'forcing' it. Also; it occured to me that maybe the fan is replaced by approaching from the 'top' of the computer rather than the 'bottom'???

Ideally, would like someone to confirm fan details and source one for me and possibly fit it also.

Am more than happy to pay a reasonable fee for this !

Bucklt :)

Yeah, every manufacturer puts their computers together differently, and can be a bit worrying, but they're all accessable by engineers, so be brave and play around. :)

I'm not sure about CM but many of the tiny 'hole in the wall' repair shops in Pantip Bangkok can perform magic in terms of finding stock, finding an alternate. etc.

We tried 'fixes' for my sons little bit older notebook and an old but very good printer, both way past warranty time.

Manufacturers said 'no more parts' available, go away.

Both items were fixed quickly (by next day) by a little repair shop, very cheaply and have worked well ever since.

there are a lot of sites online that show detailed instructions for disassembling laptops, notebooks, Ipods etc or doing specific repairs. It's really not hard. You just need a few specialized screwdrivers which can be purchased easily, a static grounding strap, clean workspace and some common sense and patience

Here is one of many sites but I would google around to find your exact model.

acer repairs

This may help...

About 6 months ago, the fan in my Acer Travel Mate 8200 started sounding like a chain saw in a gravel pit.

I opened it up, intending to change the fan. I could remove the cover from the fan, but could not see how to remove the fan assembly.

The fan rotor spun easily and was not binding on the frame, so I could not work out why it should be noisy.

Anyway, as I was probing and pulling, I found the fan rotor could be easily pulled out from the frame - some sort of detent 'click' fit.

So, I gave everything a good clean (very dusty, especially the outlet grill) put a light smear of silicone grease on the rotor shaft, and put it all back together.

To my great surprise, when I turned it on, all beautiful and quiet, fan outflow improved and computer runs cooler. 6 months later problem has not returned.

J.

there are a lot of sites online that show detailed instructions for disassembling laptops, notebooks, Ipods etc or doing specific repairs. It's really not hard. You just need a few specialized screwdrivers which can be purchased easily, a static grounding strap, clean workspace and some common sense and patience

acer repairs

thats a good site, might try it with my old laptop i retired last year

slightly off topic

but have you acer owners ever get a shock off the casing? Esp around the non painted areas ie earphone/mic inputs in the front. Very distressing as its where you rest your palms :)

I used to, even when the computer was switched off but was still plugged in.

I sure its due to the laptop not being grounded. Theres no way around it unless you use the laptop on battery, or have your laptop grounded.

acer repairs

Many thanks for that particular link. It has a series of pictures involving the replacement of a cooling fan - be it, a different model to mine - but enough data to give me the confidence to make a start.

Bucklt :)