Gold Necklace Snatched From Tourist

Rimmer

During the morning of the 8th October, Pattaya Police Station was paid a visit by Mr. Romeo Frances and his girlfriend Miss Nanok to file a complaint that they had just been robbed whilst riding their bike near the flyover on Third Road.

They claimed that two teenagers aged about 17 came alongside them on a Honda Wave bike and the passenger grabbed the 28 year old Belgian’s very expensive 10 baht weight gold chain, estimated to be valued at 165,000 baht from around his neck before fleeing in the direction of South Pattaya. The victims gave chase but the thieves managed to elude them.

Source:

http://www.pattayapeople.com/

post-22250-1255010587_thumb.jpg

During the morning of the 8th October, Pattaya Police Station was paid a visit by Mr. Romeo Frances and his girlfriend Miss Nanok to file a complaint that they had just been robbed whilst riding their bike near the flyover on Third Road.

They claimed that two teenagers aged about 17 came alongside them on a Honda Wave bike and the passenger grabbed the 28 year old Belgian's very expensive 10 baht weight gold chain, estimated to be valued at 165,000 baht from around his neck before fleeing in the direction of South Pattaya. The victims gave chase but the thieves managed to elude them.

Source:

I thought that Pattaya was supposed to be an international hotspot for crime.

It surely has had some bad publicity later.

If this is worthy of reporting, then the city is safer than Winchester here in UK, where at least the occasional old lady gets mugged.

I sorry for the man and would be for all victims of crime. But why show off and thus leave vulnerable, such a valuable item?

It was an opportunist crime, because the opportunity was duly presented.

quote.

"But why show off and thus leave vulnerable, such a valuable item?

It was an opportunist crime, because the opportunity was duly presented. "

It's just like having 165,00 baht hanging out of your back pocket, someones going to see it and you become a target, whilst I don't condone the crime I think the victim is partly to blame for being so stupid by wearing it in a city like Pattaya.

They claimed that two teenagers aged about 17 came alongside them on a Honda Wave bike and the passenger grabbed the 28 year old Belgian's very expensive 10 baht weight gold chain, estimated to be valued at 165,000 baht from around his neck before fleeing in the direction of South Pattaya. The victims gave chase but the thieves managed to elude them.

Source:

If this is worthy of reporting, then the city is safer than Winchester here in UK, where at least the occasional old lady gets mugged.

I sorry for the man and would be for all victims of crime. But why show off and thus leave vulnerable, such a valuable item?

Excuse me for being so stupid but are you saying that if you have something that another wants then it is your fault if you get robed? Am I missing something here with this post, if so let me know? :)

I am sorry for this guys loss.

quote.

It's just like having 165,00 baht hanging out of your back pocket, someones going to see it and you become a target, whilst I don't condone the crime I think the victim is partly to blame for being so stupid by wearing it in a city like Pattaya.

Again I got to remember to go bare foot in case I have my trainers robed. It is starting to sound like the f****** UK

a99az, Pattaya has been like the UK for years, if not worse at times for muggings, thing is if your in an area that has a high level of crime and your streetwise then you don't flash off 165,000 baht chains, the Thais love gold, especially when it for free, just hanging round a tourists neck waiting to be plucked from it.

The victim was probably seen in a bar or elsewhere and became a target because of the chain around his neck, easy pickings.

There are do's and donts when abroad and flashing wealth in crime hot spots is a definite no IMO.

I would'nt worry about your trainers, in my experience they dont like mine, the smell puts them off, the times I've left them outside hoping they would be stolen only to look outside and they are still where I left them.

Edited by MB1

quote.

Again I got to remember to go bare foot in case I have my trainers robed. It is starting to sound like the f****** UK

Can't say want I want to say, but if you can get a Police report to say you had something stolen then you can claim on your insurance when you go home! after all they won't say why the hel_l did you have that round your neck in a crime hotspot will they? Your thai girl friend did not warn you that these things happen there? nevermind its only a little lose if you can afford to show off that much money! Hope it is retuned to the owner soon............

I think the lad was telling porkies...10bht gold chain my arse. :)

You see a lot of tourists around Pattaya with heavy looking gold chains around their necks, or I have anyway, maybe you have a point though and the guy was lying or maybe it was ten baht of Belgian chocolate wrapped in gold paper.

Only thing I would wear of value in Pattaya is a genuine Rolex, everyone thinks it's a copy.

Source:

Excuse me for being so stupid but are you saying that if you have something that another wants then it is your fault if you get robed? Am I missing something here with this post, if so let me know? :)

Would you leave your keys in the car? too much temptation for a high crime area.

The lad would be walking around with his head down all the time.. 10bht chain is fking heavy. Personally think its an insurance scam because no one in their right mind would walk around with that on. :)

I'll stick with my simple 1bht chain. :D

Maybe I should trade down.

I don't generally wear mine when going out of an evening, and I don't ride a motor cy.

It is enevitable that during hard times the rate of crime will increase :D

I'd give my eye teeth for a 1 bht chain, all we've got at our house is an elastic band and we have to share that between three people. :)

This seems strange. Just try this. Put on a 10 Baht necklace and get your friend to pull it off while you resist. It is going to take a lot of effort and it is unlikely that the necklace will break. Now do the same while you are riding a motorbike. You will be pulled off the bike. Very fishy.

I think anyone not aware that wearing a 10bt chain is asking for trouble and must have ben living in a cave to not know that,.and it sounds like his thai companion is as thick as him for not warning him, chains stolen in this manner is rife,.its not rocket science is it , if on a bike with anything of value, COVER IT UP !,.

Source:

Yes, you are probably missing something.

Murphy's law.

If something can go wrong, it will go wrong.

In this case variation no 378B: If giving opportunity, it will be used.

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH

A scam

an idiot

Any where in the world you could get killed for wearing that much gold.The spanish were nicking gold necklaces on their motorbikes in the 70,s and this nob thinks he can come to Thailand(not just Pattaya) and be totaly safe.

Sometimes i get dizzy reading these crazy stories lol.

I'd give my eye teeth for a 1 bht chain, all we've got at our house is an elastic band and we have to share that between three people. :)

you have a house and an elastic band,? luck guy, we have a bit of floss tied to a tree and don't wear it, just get to look at it now and then. :D:D

Edited by surangw

you have a house and an elastic band,? luck guy, we have a bit of floss tied to a tree and don't wear it, just get to look at it now and then. :D:D

Luxury!!

When I was a lad, I was lucky if I could get anywhere near a bit of lint, let alone get a look at it.

Fashion statements aside.... the guy was wearing his own property, and someone stole it, is he to blame for wearing it ?

Does that mean that if a girl wears a short skirt its her own fault if she gets raped ?

Just because ripping off a necklace is a more ‘socially acceptable’ crime should not make it any more acceptable to any of us, it’s still crime.

However, the practical realities are that we, most of us, recognise the risks and weigh up a situation and remain ‘realists’….

I would not let my girlfriend walk around alone in a short skirt, and I wouldn’t wear a bit of show off bling anywhere,

But still, even here in Bangkok – I’d be very peeved if I got a nice discrete but expensive watch stolen because I had chosen to enjoy a luxury.

I think anyone not aware that wearing a 10bt chain is asking for trouble and must have ben living in a cave to not know that,.and it sounds like his thai companion is as thick as him for not warning him, chains stolen in this manner is rife,.its not rocket science is it , if on a bike with anything of value, COVER IT UP !,.

maybe, or maybe not. Thief could have been her husband/brother/cousin etc. Not saying it was, but TIT.

Fashion statements aside.... the guy was wearing his own property, and someone stole it, is he to blame for wearing it ?

So, regardless of where in the world you live, suppose you place a a big pile of money on your front lawn, how long would it stay there with out somebody steeling it?

So stupid flouting gold where it can be ripped from your neck and sold before you can even report the crime.