Where Is Thai Elvis?

anais

I was Thai Elvis (and his backup band's) biggest fan when I lived here, back for a while and Radio City is closed! Anyone know where he's playing these days? Many thanks.

One Elvis sings in Country Roads, Asoke end of Cowboy. It might not be the same one, but he's good.

I was Thai Elvis (and his backup band's) biggest fan when I lived here, back for a while and Radio City is closed! Anyone know where he's playing these days? Many thanks.

One Elvis sings in Country Roads, Asoke end of Cowboy. It might not be the same one, but he's good.

Its a good bar Elvis is great fun just stick to beers tho.

Yes he doesn't come on until midnight and sings for an hour. I would rate him OK but have heard better. Visitors to Country Road should note that there is a tendency for some of the ladies from that bar who asks to sit with you (of course expecting a drink) always introduce a friend or friends with the hope that you will buy them a drink too! Beware of your bill at all times!

Its happened to me so many times that I do not care to count. By the way I am aware of it happening and do check my bills.

I remember enjoying that show in Patpong Rd about 4 years ago. I particularly enjoyed the dancing girls who, I believe, were not bar girls.

Here's a photo I took at the time with my DSLR.

post-82893-1255409884_thumb.jpg

post-82893-1255411947_thumb.jpg

I remember enjoying that show in Patpong Rd about 4 years ago. I particularly enjoyed the dancing girls who, I believe, were not bar girls.

Here's a photo I took at the time with my DSLR.

post-82893-1255409884_thumb.jpg

The real ' Thai Elvis' Surapon died in 1968 at the hands of an assassin when leaving a concert, some say over business others claim over a woman. Both his sons still sing today and his grandson is a DJ on fm 95. I would tend to think it was over business as his oldest son Surachai had to be sent to the UK for safety and there were several attempts on his life when he came back to Thailand to take up his singing career. Surapon was enormously influential in the development of luktung and many other famous singers and band leaders started off in his band. His career stretched over a 16 year period from 1952, long before the tern luktung was first used in 1964. His work has been best covered by Grammy star Got Jakrapan in five volumes, not western copied crap, but real Thai music.

Edited by dragonfly94

No I am afraid I do not know either. I thought the 4 ladies were terrific and far more entertaining than any of the "dancers" in most gogo bars. When they left due to money reasons the show was not nearly as good. The last I saw of Radio City in mid August it was all boarded up and showed no sign of reopening any time soon. :)

No I am afraid I do not know either. I thought the 4 ladies were terrific and far more entertaining than any of the "dancers" in most gogo bars. When they left due to money reasons the show was not nearly as good. The last I saw of Radio City in mid August it was all boarded up and showed no sign of reopening any time soon. :)

The last time I was in Bangkok, I revisited Patpong just to see the Radio City show and take a few more photos. I was disappointed the lady dancers were no longer there. They were the highlight of the show as far as I was concerned, or the icing on the cake, shall we say.

After the show, I spoke to one of the male singers having a drink outside, who claimed to be the owner of the establishment (he might have been Australia, but certainly European. I can't remember.) He told me that too many of the patrons assumed the dancing ladies were bar girls and that the girls got fed up with being propositioned all the time, so he had to 'let them go'.

Perhaps that was his way of saying, 'they demanded more money than I was prepared to pay them'.

Thai Tom Jones used to sing at Radio City after Thai Elvis....does anyone know whether he sings at another venue these days, thanks.

Thai Tom Jones used to sing at Radio City after Thai Elvis....does anyone know whether he sings at another venue these days, thanks.

Looks like no-one knows, and I certainly don't know. All I know is that Radio City was a highlight in Patpong Road, and it's a pity it's no longer in business :) .

I was talking to "Tom Jones" one night after a show. Nice fellow. He told me they (Elvis and he, band and ladies) performed an earlier show at a hotel same nights as Radio City. It is quite possible that it is the same Elvis.

Edited by salty