Best Farang Friendly Banks And Why

kanga2cool

Hi,

Sorry, a bit off-topic but is it true that there is no credit card insurance in Thailand ?

I mean, if somebody steal my credit cards numbers and use them online, in France I will get an automatic refund if the bank can't give evidence that I bought the goods (easy as soon as the order is not delivered at my own address), but what about here ?

Thanks.

The bank everyone is bashing, BBL, was absolutely the best for me personally in customer service
Just goes to show that every person will have a different experience, based on who you interacted with, and on which day.

I was afraid to jump into the fire, but since you have ... :) I've had accounts with BBL for over 20 years and their service to me has been exemplary. If I use Internet banking, I promptly get a message notifying me that my account has been accessed. Regarding foreign checks, I have deposited several times US personal checks including just a couple of weeks ago and the charge has always been $10.00 and with conversion rates matching the daily rates listed. Don't know where the 2000 Baht one member mentioned came into play.

Every time I visit, I get chatted up and seem to have my own personal handler or two. They always call me ajarn when talking with me and I return the respect by being polite. Went in a couple of days ago and started to punch the queue button and got waved directly over by my overseer before the ticket came out. Deposited my checks from work and asked about getting a Be1st VISA card and she personally walked me over to the person handling it and kept checking that I was being dealt with properly. Got the card in about 20 minutes with the forms being filled in by the assistant rather then my having to do it. When I was leaving, she called out to me to make sure everything was completed ok.

Lot's more examples like above but I believe you get the idea - I'm very happy with their service. Actually, just got a VIP card from them that whenever I come and need personal attention I get a private room to discuss it with a rep in. Unfortunately that service is in Bangkok only. :D

Well, this is clearly a speak as you find issue but I have found, as the OP above, with BBL and feel that as an ordinary customer I am given VIP treatment.  I do know how to play the Thai game of course so I respond to the excellent service I receive with a box of kanom, T-shirts from my little trips and thoughtful rather than expensive small gifts on special occasions.  Being based on charm (a desperately scarce commodity in our "grab yourself" world) it works like one and everybody is happy and feels appreciated, including me !

My bi-monthly transfer from the UK is always credited withing 24 hours of my issuing the Internet instruction to my UK bank, which is NOT the useless and arrogant HSBC.  Providing I give the instruction before 11am UK time it is here in my account at BBL by 11am the following day, except weekends when it is credited on Monday.

I have BBL accounts in CM, Bangkok, Jomtien, and Sonkhla and in all these places my experience has been the same excellent and affable service and in 25 yeas they have never "lost" one setang of my money.  I do also have an account with SCB at 89 Nong Hoi and agree with the OP they are also exceptional in their care and attention. They were very helpful indeed when Baht 2k I had sent to Lao would not come out of the ATM there and gave me the documentation which enabled the Lao to pay it.

Banking in the UK has managed to transform itself, in a few short years, from being one of our most solid and respected institutions to, second only to the Inland Revue perhaps, our most loathed, distrusted and despised and it is a status well earned.

Good to see then that from this topic most people's experience of banking in Thailand is, if not perfect, at least for the most part is positive.