An X-ray Machine That Sees Through Clothing Is Being Trialled From Today .

MB1

If your travelling to thailand in the future you may just have to go through a new machine which is being trialed at manchester UK..

Would you use it or would you object and on what grounds.?.

Can a Mod move to general topics please. Thanks in advance.

Below from Sky News.

An x-ray machine that sees through clothing is being trialled from today at Manchester Airport.

The device captures a 'naked' image of passengers so that staff can spot if they are hiding explosives or weapons.

An airport spokesman described the images as "quite revealing."

Five years ago a similar trial at Heathrow came to nothing after travellers expressed shock at the clarity of the pictures.

Transport officials in America decided initially not to use the equipment until manufacturers found a way of electronically masking sensitive body parts.

The scanner can detect items such as body piercings and breast enlargements.

During the twelve month trial passengers at Manchester can volunteer to go through the "human x-ray" or opt for a hand search.

"Our passengers tell us that they don't like being patted down by security staff," said Sarah Barrett of Manchester Airport customer relations.

"This technology offers a potential alternative but we know that some people see it as controversial. That's why we are running a trial."

Two areas of threat identified on the new device

One important aspect in the way the system is now operated compared with earlier trials is that the passenger's body image is anonymous.

The staff member who monitors the x-ray cannot see the actual individual whose image comes up on screen.

Sarah Barrett said: "The image is viewed by a highly trained security officer who is sitting in a remote location in the airport.

"They are not sitting in the search area and they can't link the image to the individual."

Passengers waiting to fly out on holiday to Malta told Sky News unanimously that they would not mind going through the new scans.

One woman said: "I think it's far easier and frankly less embarrassing to go through this new scanner than to be frisked in the usual way.

If passengers accept the new machinery it may be introduced at all British airports in future and American airports have just bought a thousand new scanners which will be compulsory

Edited by MB1

"see through clothing" ... that's a little misleading for the less technology-savy readers, don't you think. LoL This story is giving the impression that this machine can show a naked picture of anyone walking through it, which obviously isn't the case. It's just an xray. I don't know why that is so controversial other than the repeated radiation exposure for frequent fliers.

"see through clothing" ... that's a little misleading for the less technology-savy readers, don't you think. LoL This story is giving the impression that this machine can show a naked picture of anyone walking through it, which obviously isn't the case. It's just an xray. I don't know why that is so controversial other than the repeated radiation exposure for frequent fliers.

I might be wrong but IMO that's exactly what the article suggests...

The device captures a 'naked' image of passengers so that staff can spot if they are hiding explosives or weapons.

An airport spokesman described the images as "quite revealing

Edited by MB1

And this is connected to Thai language...how?

:D

It's not, which was why I as the OP when I realised it was in the wrong section asked...

HTH Mr Softwater AKA wannabe forum cop or mod. :)

And this is connected to Thai language...how? :D
It's not, which was why I as the OP when I realised it was in the wrong section asked...
HTH Mr Softwater AKA wannabe forum cop or mod. :)

Uh, still wrong forum. I thought this was being moved to General Topics for maximum lively banter potential... Tywais, want to do the honors?