Ebook Readers

Trickcyclist

What's the skinny on ebook readers?

Was attracted to the Kindle from Amazon but not available either for device despatch or book downloads to Thailand.

Any alternative recommendations, ideally with good clear, large screen, user friendly, inventory of books?

Incidentally, if a Kindle was purchased using a UK address and card, could one get around the book download problems?

Thanks

# Amazon doesn’t ship Kindle out of the US. Therefore you must register with Vpost first. With Vpost, you can buy products from countries like, US, Europe and Japan.

# Go to Amazon.com, log into or create an account if you do not already have one. Buy the Kindle 2/DX and have Amazon shipped it to your Vpost (USA) address. I will skip the rest of the procedures between you and Vpost as you can find them at their site.

# Once you receive your Kindle 2 in Singapore, the fun begins!

# Log into your Amazon.com account and buy a Gift Certificate and email the code to yourself.

# You should be able to receive the gift certificate code in your email in a matter of minutes.

# Copy and paste and apply the code to your Amazon account.

# Delete ALL you existing credit card information. Reason being that when you buy a Kindle book, the system will check this information and when it recognises that your credit card is not issused by a US bank, the purchases won’t go through.

# Drum rolls please…..

# Congratulations! You should now be able to buy books for your Kindle 2. Just ensure that the gift certificate has enough credit for what you are purchasing.

# To download your purchased books and sync to your Kindle via USB, go to ‘My Account’, scroll down to ‘Digital Content’ and click on the ‘Manage Your Kindle‘ link.

# Scroll down until you see, ‘Your orders and individual charges’. You should be able to see all your purchases. And on the right, there is an option for you to download your purchases to your computer.

# Connect your Kindle via USB and drop the newly purchased book(s) into your Documents directory of your Kindle and HAVE FUN READING!

# Hope the above instructions help

I heartily dislike Amazon's locked down business model with the Kindle, so decided to go with the new Sony PRS-600 touchscreen.  The build quality is much better than the Kindle, it can read any form of ebook natively, and the Sony ebook store has pretty much the same amount of material as Amazon.  I have a US credit card, so that wasn't an issue for me at all.  A benefit to being so open is that you aren't locked to one distributor.  There are plenty of other online bookstores out there, just some are a bit more expensive.  I've found the majority of what I want through Sony, though.  If you read scifi, I highly recommend http://www.webscription.net

The down side is that the screen is slightly reflective due to the touchscreen overlay.  Contrast is still very high and not difficult for me to read with at all.  There's no way I'd trade the touchscreen for a Kindle style keyboard, though!  I've rarely needed the touch screen, but it just makes everything so much more convenient at times for page turns, etc.  Then again, I'm reading in landscape orientation instead of portrait.  It's just more comfortable, balanced, and provides a place for my thumb to rest without touching the screen.  I've also used it (once or twice) for jotting down a quick note.

All in all, I love mine and wouldn't trade it for a Kindle at all!

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores...552921665921192

I love my Sony Reader too. And I couldn't change for a Kindle. Much more freedom of choice for books and formats.

I like the Sony non-touch screen, so clear and easy to read, more sun, more clear!

And in the next 3-4 years we'll see a mayor development in this technology with huge improvements, like color screens, bigger size, flexible screens etc.

How does the Sony eBook reader handle PDF files?

Was thinking about going with the iLiad for this reason, but the price was ridiculous and the reviews were quite scathing. Until something else suitable shows up on the market I was going to settle for a Netbook Tablet.

As far as I understand you can use various formats including PDF with the Sony, but you have to convert it using bundled software. I am burning to get a good ebook reader but the current choices are just not there. It is really quite surprising that there are only two products on the market at this time. I would have though there would be a wealth of choices by now, just like there are for Netbooks.

Early last year Waterstones in Amsterdam [yes they have a branch there] had a display offering the sony reader for Euro 248 great I want one,paid my 50 deposit

"we will phone you when they arrive next week"

A few weeks late as i was passing popped in to ask

"oh sorry they sent the covers but forgot to put the reader in"

"oh there was some problems with sony about European rights"

"oh there was a fire at the distro centre in england"

"oh there was a fire at the docks in bristol need to get more from Japan"

A few months passed heard nothing was in waterstones when I saw a guy purchasing a reader <deleted>

"oh sorry did we not phone you?"

so went home got deposit receipt went back and took reader home ,having had lots of time to do my research

I knew better than to use sony software if there was an alternative so i had already downloaded http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/

Figured it out, loaded up with books that i had already downloaded works great I just converted everything but

just so the OP knows the sony reads PDF.

I then decided to register my sony reader with sony I have done it with other stuff no problem

went to the site but no way would it accept the product only a list of shops in the USA

remember "oh there was some problems with sony about European rights"

so I phoned sony NL and they were having none of it that i purchased a reader in Amsterdam NOT POSSIBLE

"we will phone you back " of course they did not.

So a couple of weeks ago I decided to actually purchase a few e-books from waterstones UK

set up an account CC number all ok got the books downloaded them to my computer,

OH OH its linux forget it, need Adobe digital editions no good on linux.

So over to my Sony laptop {vista]

Now I have to deal with the four headed monster

Windows

Adobe

Sony

Waterstones

set up a adobe account no problem

waterstones no problem

download the sony software no <deleted> way can you do it outside the USA,UK, and maybe france,

so rummage around until i find the original software cd, load that ,can I update it no <deleted> way

but the old one works.

So i download the books from waterstones to my windows computer with adobe digital editions that uses the sony software to load the reader

and they wonder why we use the pirate bay.

get a sony hours of fun

a PSP charger cost $5 a charger from sony costs $30

I use a Windows mobile phone for reading eBooks

A useless device as a phone but great for eBooks browsing the web and emails. I have various readers installed on it depending on the format of the book I have downloaded. I use (Mobipocket,eReader, and Plucker and old Palm format now available for the Windoze device. There are some big screen devices but even though I have very poor eyesight I find my Touch Diamond screen easy to read and not too big to carry. Great for the (many) times when my wife is yakking with her family for hours on end.

My advice would be to look at a few eBook websites such as those above or Manybooks.net and project Guttenburg and then look for a device that supports the formats offered by the site(s) that have the best selection of books for you.

This link may also help you decide

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

My favourite site for books is Mobipocket which is a good quality reader with such nice features as Auto scrolling and also gives you the ability to import word and PDF documents. It even lets you compose and publish your own eBooks :)

It also has a PC version of their reader.

Hope all this helps

Edited by thaimite

Can you trade ebooks, with other ebook owners?

Paid content is usually locked to the registered device. Mobipocket lets you register any number of devices such as multplie phones, PDAs and PC's so you can have your current book on multiple devices at one time.

Free books can of course be moved between devices, but as they are free to download you may as well just download them

I bought a Sony PRS-505 two months back and am very happy with it.

The zoom feature only works on text and not on pictures and some downloaded magazines pages cannt be zoomed.

So I would like the screen maybe 50%bigger and it would be great if there was a colour function.

These are only minor issues, I really like it and cannt see myself without an ereader in the future.

I use Calibre freeware to load the ebooks rather than sonys software.

You can load audio onto aswell if you want.

• 2 weeks later...

Just fell over a very nice looking ereader out of China - http://www.hanvon.com/en/products/EPD-appl...eader_N526.html

No wifi, no 3G, using standard SD memory cards (4GB included), connects to PC via USB. No locking into someones fixed formats or book store.

Trying to find if there's a Thai Importer of this of if it's possible to order it directly from China...

Edited by Phil Conners

Specs look nice, but if it was me, I would want to see the screen clarity before buying.

Made in China is also generally not a good sign, BUT some of their devices are OK.

Have you seen a 3rd party review?

Only a monochrome screen means it would be no good for graphics, but then again, I have never had an eBook where the graphics could be viewed properly on a small screen even with the zoom feature

If you buy, let us know how it works out

Edited by thaimite

It seems to use the same E-ink screen that all the other readers (Sony, Kindle) use. Smaller screen though (5" vs Sony's 6" and Kindles 9"). This is a new device, it's not even mentioned on their US website so obviously no reviews yet. Lots of junk comes out of Chine, agreed, but then again, some of the best gadgets also are made in China. It doesn't have to be bad.

Here is an interesting article just published that sums up my opinion of dedicated e-book readers

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/352981/ebook-r...ne-trick-ponies

To quote just one paqragraph

But while most experts praise eInk, a display technology that strives to mimic printed text, the capacity for colour, embedded links, search options and video is still lacking.

These devices are "technologically not advanced enough for most content," says Paul DeHart, president of BlueToad, a digital publishing company, and do not yet make it worth the effort of lugging around another gadget.

Some of this is a surprise to me as my Mobile phone eBook apps have embeded links, bookmarking dictionary search etc all as standard. The one feature I love is autoscroll similar to a Tele-prompter!

I think people are missing the point of an e-book reader. It is exactly as it says it is, an E-BOOK READER. If you want color, video etc, get out your laptop. These things are books......does your paper edition of Moby Dick have video???

I have a Kindle, and as far as lugging around another gadget, I look at it as being able to have 2 dozen books (audio and print), newspapers and magazines in something the size of one paperback. I have given all my print books away.....could not be happier with the Kindle2.

I should mention that Amazon has upgraded the Kindle 2 to GSM, and selling internationally, not Thailand yet but Australia for one. This will allow whispernet downloads in other countries besides the USA now. Check out their website to see if your country is available yet. Thailand is not, as 3G is just coming online, but I'm sure will be in the future.

Edited by CDNinKS

....... as far as lugging around another gadget, I look at it as being able to have 2 dozen books (audio and print), newspapers and magazines in something the size of one paperback.

My point exactly which is why I use a mobile phone / PDA for reading my e-books on which I can also listen to audio books, watch movies, browse the Internet and also have the numerous other facilities of a proper PDA

The difference is you are reading on a small backlit screen and until you have seen the e-ink screen you can not appreciate the difference it makes. It may be just me, but I find that it doesn't take long for my eyes to get sore sitting in front of the computer, as with the Kindle it is exactly like reading from paper.

Anyway, each to his own.......this is only my opinion and everyone has theirs.

The difference is you are reading on a small backlit screen and until you have seen the e-ink screen you can not appreciate the difference it makes. It may be just me, but I find that it doesn't take long for my eyes to get sore sitting in front of the computer, as with the Kindle it is exactly like reading from paper.

Anyway, each to his own.......this is only my opinion and everyone has theirs.

I agree, Each to his own. If there was one device that was perfect for everybody, there would be no choice in the market and it would be a poorer place for it.

As for the screen of a PDA, having serious eyesight issues, I find it easier to read than a book, and I too cannot sit reading a at a PC screen no matter how large. Having said that I have never had the pleasure of trying an e-Ink screen, so maybe I will be converted yet.

Anyway, I hope our discussions on our preferences has given food for thought for those interested in e-books. I would not be without my device for those times when I am in Ubon waiting for 2 hours while my wife tries to decide on a new pair of shoes or a bag :)

I would not be without my device for those times when I am in Ubon waiting for 2 hours while my wife tries to decide on a new pair of shoes or a bag

:):D

Well that is one area we are definitely on the same page with :D

Thai girls and decision making.......I think we have a whole new thread there :D

Here's a new reader from Barnes and Noble, the NOOK: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/

Wired seems to love it - http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/10/bar...-reader-leaked/

Looks gorgeous!

Certainly looks better to me.

Of course some techno freaks may care to wait for this option in a few years :) at least you would never leave PDA /eBook reader in a taxi again.

Was attracted to the Kindle from Amazon but not available either for device despatch or book downloads to Thailand.

Amazon won't deliver the Kindle itself here, but I can confirm the new International one can download books here. Admittedly, it might be that mine is a little odd as the web browser is working here also, and I'm fairly sure that the web browser is supposed to only work in HK, Japan, Mexico and the US.