I Need Some Help With Knowing What To Eat!

gs4492

Hi people.

I have just arrived in Chiang Mai. I have never been to Thailand before and i am slighly baffled as to what to eat. Can someone give me some recommendations? Also, if you could give me tip on the pronouciation that would also be very helpfull.

p.s. I like spicy food but I had a papaya salad the other day and had to hold back the tears :-)

Thanks.

Hi people.

I have just arrived in Chiang Mai. I have never been to Thailand before and i am slighly baffled as to what to eat. Can someone give me some recommendations? Also, if you could give me tip on the pronouciation that would also be very helpfull.

p.s. I like spicy food but I had a papaya salad the other day and had to hold back the tears :-)

Thanks.

learn these words while pointing at a menu - Phet Mai? (pronounced pet, my). Meaning is it hot / spicy? If they reply 'Mai', then you are ok. If they say Phet Nid Noi, means 'a little bit'.

If you can't eat spicy food at all, say 'Phom (I) Gin (eat) Phet Mai Dai'.

Like the salad you ate, keep an eye out for yum type salads as well. But generally speaking, the Thais don't hide the chillies so you can avoid them before putting them in your mouth.

If you go to an English type restaurant then they will have a reasonable menu that usually has pictures on it.

I eat simple Thai food such as stir fried rice (Kow padt). It is white rice fried in pork fat with chopped vegetables and a egg stirred in. It's usually eaten with pieces of chicken (gai) or pork (moo) or shrimp (Gung). I don't bother with beef (Neua wua) because it's usually too tough and stringy. And, there's also very little refrigeration for large animals.

I drink bottled water (nam) with a bit of lime/lemon (ma naow) for flavour.

I also like stir fried fine noodles (Padt Thai) with chicken or pork... (Padt Thai gai or Padt Thai moo). It's also mixed with vegetables and an egg.

I like a Thai omelette (Kai tee ow), or an omelette filled with vegetables (Kai Udt Sai).

Those simple Thai meals are never hot and you add your own spices at the table to heat them up. The simple consome (broth) soup that is sometimes served with Kow Padt is seldom hot, but some of the other soups are VERY spicey.

The Thai language pronounce "D" and "T" almost the same, so Pad Thai or Pat Thai would mean the same thing and "Pad" would sound more like "Padt".

If you don't understand just say "My Kow Jy". No thank you would be "My ow kup" for a man or "My ow ka" for a woman. Sorry would be "Sai Jy"

I would pick up a small Thai dictionary and practise with a Thai person to help understand the pronunciation.

gs4492, why not go along to one of the buffets around, then you can have a sample taste of lots of different dishes and find out which ones you have a taste for. Then, ask one of the waiters/waitresses what the name of the dish is called (im sure they will be fine with English, but if not point to the dish and say "nee riak waa arai khrap?" (What is this called?) But, its likely the dish names will be written in English, so you can jot the name down of the dishes you like).

Maybe the guys here can give you a good list of buffet places to try out, if you like that idea.

I am vegetarian, so you may not be interested in my recommendation, however, i would recommend Khun Churn (4 Nimmanhaymin Road, Soi 17 053-224124) Google will have a location map. If you cant find it, ill write down some better directions).

As the guys have pointed out, even if some of the dishes you try at the buffet seem tasty but too spicy, when you order the dish individually you can tell them that you like it mild.

Edited by eek

Check this out - with Pictures gives you a pretty good idea what to eat and what is what:

Cick here:

while in Chiang Mai check out "Kao Soi" a northern array of several dishes..

Street food vendors, Noodle Kitchens are pretty good value,

"Kao man Gai" - Chicken on Rice

"Kao Kaa Moo" - Pork knuckle on Rice

"Ratna moo" - broad noddles with pork - like chinese chop suey

"Pat Thai Gai" - Thai Style fried Noodles with Chicken

there is a plethora of nice dishes around...

Since you are in Chiang Mai, try the northern style Laab moo - spicy minced pork.

Yaam Pla murk - Squid salad is also good.

kao Pad Tom Yam - tom yam fried rice.

Suki Heng - Pan fried rice noodles with lots of veggies and your choice of animal/seafood. Must pour on the red chilli sauce.

Goong Dten - Dancing shrimp,,,avoid until you are used to the food and enjoy with whiskey.

Nam Tok Moo - Waterfall pork lol spicey pork. yummy

If you don't want it too hot try these:

• Red curry, listed as paneng sometimes - pretty mild
  • Chicken and Cashew nuts - again mild but don't eat the black things!
  • Massasman - mild coconut curry with potatoes, peanuts and meat

If you want your spicy food mild say "Prik Met Diow" (where approximately "Di" rhymes with "tree" and "ow" rhymes with "cow") meaning "1 chilli"

Despite my <deleted> phonetics they should understand what you're on a bout.