What Helmet!

Royspurs

Team Thailand,

Interested in your thoughts in regard to the best type of helmet for a climate like Thailand, the helmet must combind good safety & comfort at elevated temperatures.

Also a thought for my wife who is most concerned about the helmet ruining her make up!

Currently in the US where we have a great selection at good prices

Thanks in advance

Team Thailand,

Interested in your thoughts in regard to the best type of helmet for a climate like Thailand, the helmet must combind good safety & comfort at elevated temperatures.

Also a thought for my wife who is most concerned about the helmet ruining her make up!

Currently in the US where we have a great selection at good prices

Thanks in advance

First www.denniskirk.com ROCKS!

Nolan makes a really good 'modular' helmet.  I.E., the chinbar flips up out of the way...great for those low speeds encountered running around town.

I personally prefer HJC helmets; but I have a really BIG oval head and they fit better than others I've tried.  Being priced where they are is a big plus also.

I'm happy with my Shoei flip-front. It's got the same safety numbers as a fixed full-face helmet, but has the advantage of being able to flip it up if you're just stopping to fuel up or buy a wee something from the 7-11; you don't have to take the whole helmet off.

It's got decent flow-through ventilation as well. I think it works well in this climate. A bit pricey, but imho worth it.

I have an HJC flip up too, worked great when I had my Ruckus.

Now that I have a Nouvo Elegance that can go 70+ mph, I only wear a full face helmet.

Helmet selection depends on how fast you ride and where.

I've read that most impacts to a helmet occur on the chin so I suggest a single piece full face helmet unless you're just cruising neighborhoods.

Half face and flip ups are nice and comfy but I'm sure weaker.

If you go down on your chin at 40 mph with no protection, you'll likely leave your lower jaw on the pavement.

Look at pavement closely, it's very course, like 20 grit sandpaper in many places.

I've also read that the DOT safety test is better for one impact in an accident while Snell is better for multiple impacts.

Frankly I want to make it through the first impact since I'm not travelling fast enough to worry about a second impact on my scooter.

A Snell helmet may make sense for a fast bike.

For the slow city traffic in Bangkok, I would get a DOT approved helmet that is one piece full face, has the most vents possible, and fits my head well.

I would get an HJC with the built in sunshade (illegal in Bangkok supposedly) because HJCs fit my big round head well and are cheap compared to Shoei, Arai, etc.

Just an opinion, Ted

tt. 'built in sunshade' The built in sunshade is not illegal in BKK BUT tinted tinted visor's are. the internal sunshade are just like sunglasses.

I have two HJC's a full face and a Modular. I find the modular is very noisy above 120kmh. But both are good even when it's well hot. The other thing to think about is a coolmax cap to wear under you helmet. works great and is easy to wash.

Edited by thaicbr

Lottsa air flow, aren't motorcross style helmets better at flowing air? Had three helmets to choice from in LOS, and almost before fit (they all do), choose the one that allows the greatest flow - with the visor closed - is my first choice here. Choose to bring a grey full faced helmet with me at first, a Arai Quantum, and quickly stopped using it - way too sweaty, had that just outta of the shower look after an hour in the sun riding. Though a pricey helmet wasn't that upset when it was nicked, that helmet was already toxic. Always supprised how many black helmets are on the road.

Consider to that helmet sizes are smaller in Asia, my Thai brand helmet is XXXXXL (many stores have nothing that will fit my fat noggin) and my Arai X3 is a L (which is my fav for the air flow). Hate Arai pricing, but they fit my head where many don't without being sloppy.

The best thai helmet i've had so far and currently using is the Index Limited Edition TX in flat black for 1150 baht, the glossy back one is 950 baht. This helmet is more pointy in the front and the field of peripheral vision is better than the standard Index.

The standard Index will give you visibilty problems in the rain, the drops just seem to stick to the windscreen. With the Limited Edition TX the rain rolls off to the side and provides much better visibility when it's raining.

The Limited Edition TX also as the best cooling of any Thai made helmet Ive used so far, I can actually feel airflow on my face now. The standard Index would shake at speeds above 130kph, the Limited Edition stays still and cuts through the wind much better.

BTW, the new Standard Index helmets now come with dual windscreens, the inner windscreen is actually tinted, like a pair of sunglasses and rolls up and down. Pretty cool.

just bought another helmet, this one for my girlfriend who was using one of those cheap dealership give aways. We went to Mityon over on Third Road and Pattaya Klang here in Pattaya. Lots of helmets to choose from there. Someone here was recommending Real Helmets because they are DOT certified. There were a few there but when I asked the salesman about this he said, "Index were the best". From the thickness of the padding, heaviness of the helmet, etc I could not tell any difference so we settled on a full coverage Index helmet for around 1100 baht. That's what i use, a semi full coverage Index helmet with the Honda name on it. My girlfriend has very small feet and a small head. What fit her was an extra large which I cannot begin to get on my head.

just bought another helmet, this one for my girlfriend who was using one of those cheap dealership give aways. We went to Mityon over on Third Road and Pattaya Klang here in Pattaya. Lots of helmets to choose from there. Someone here was recommending Real Helmets because they are DOT certified. There were a few there but when I asked the salesman about this he said, "Index were the best". From the thickness of the padding, heaviness of the helmet, etc I could not tell any difference so we settled on a full coverage Index helmet for around 1100 baht. That's what i use, a semi full coverage Index helmet with the Honda name on it. My girlfriend has very small feet and a small head. What fit her was an extra large which I cannot begin to get on my head.

Thai salesmen will say anything just as long as they make the most on the product. The real helmets are way up from index ones and also a bit more expensive. I have owned an index helmet and now the real stealth helmet and its a big improvement.

Powerband. Index have the DOT and SNELL logo's on their website. I have yet to see any DOT or SNELL logo's on an Index helmet and i brought what was supposed to be an export model because it was a larger size. I haven't tried your helmet but in general i think Index helmets are crap. the 'REAL' brand actually show the DOT testing on their website.

Edited by thaicbr

The bottom level Index is crap, the Limited Edition TX is a major step forward and fit more snug than their predecessors .

The DOT is written on the owners manual, not the helmet.

There was show on TV a while back that showed testing of thai helmets, only Index and Real passed the test.

Anyone know a helmet for higher speeds? I have a Real helmet and it's OK up to about 140kph, then it feels like it's going to fly off. Also it's pretty noisy and there's wind coming in even when all vents are closed (noticeable at higher speeds only)...

Is a 15,000 BHT Arai going to be better in noise reduction and wind? I assume so but I don't know...

Thai salesmen will say anything just as long as they make the most on the product. The real helmets are way up from index ones and also a bit more expensive. I have owned an index helmet and now the real stealth helmet and its a big improvement.

I would think the more expensive "Real Helmet will have a higher profit margin on it than the Index helmet I wound up purchasing. Therefore it is in the best interests of the dealership to push the Real Helmet, especially when the prospective buyer is already looking at Index Helmets, then he picks up the more expensive Real helmet and points at the DOT sticker. As I mentioned before this particular line of Index helmets were every bit as heavy, had just as much padding and seemed just as well constructed at the Real Helmets the dealership had.

Where are Index Helmets made? Did I read correctly here, Thailand? And where are the Real helmets made?

I would think the more expensive "Real Helmet will have a higher profit margin on it than the Index helmet I wound up purchasing. Therefore it is in the best interests of the dealership to push the Real Helmet, especially when the prospective buyer is already looking at Index Helmets, then he picks up the more expensive Real helmet and points at the DOT sticker. As I mentioned before this particular line of Index helmets were every bit as heavy, had just as much padding and seemed just as well constructed at the Real Helmets the dealership had.

Where are Index Helmets made? Did I read correctly here, Thailand? And where are the Real helmets made?

Lets agree to disagree, in my opinion the real helmet is a lot better then the index ones.

They are both made in Thailand but that does not say much and that they are both as heavy doesnt say much either as you dont know if they are both made out of the same material.

The real helmets are more expensive, but that does not necessarily mean that there is a higher profit margin. I really had to shop around to get the right real helmet because many shops just had a few of them and many more index ones. So maybe they want to sell index because they are sure to find one that will fit you while with real its a bit harder and you might look into an other shop to get the real helmet you want. All is pure speculation on my part however and i doubt we will ever know the truth.

Lets agree to disagree, in my opinion the real helmet is a lot better then the index ones.

They are both made in Thailand but that does not say much and that they are both as heavy doesnt say much either as you dont know if they are both made out of the same material.

The real helmets are more expensive, but that does not necessarily mean that there is a higher profit margin. I really had to shop around to get the right real helmet because many shops just had a few of them and many more index ones. So maybe they want to sell index because they are sure to find one that will fit you while with real its a bit harder and you might look into an other shop to get the real helmet you want. All is pure speculation on my part however and i doubt we will ever know the truth.

I too have an Real helmet ... after having had all kind of other helmets such as index,seacrown...this is much better....i mean a lot better Quality , Fit ,Ventilation, Visibility... sure it is not a shoei, nolan or alike, but it is somewhere in between.

I costs more 'cause you get more :-) others say you get what you pay...

mbox

Try the Index Limited Edition TX and you will probably change your mind. Changed mine.

It's like it pops into place once you get it over the top of your head. It's more spherical than the bottom line models.

Nikster, the Index LE TX, doesn't budge and it is quiet, but you can still hear everything, this helmet has the best cooling I've experienced in a Thai made helmet. If you look over your shoulder going 140kph it doesnt give you whiplash like the bottom line Index's, STM's or Real's do.

check out these pics and you can see how the shape of the Index LE TX has changed:

4c4164654d.jpg

201f28a866.jpg

8cb55451db.jpg

if it just for running about on the scooter, I would just get a full faced Index for a 1000 Baht... if you leave an expensive helmet strapped on the bike whilst you go to supermarket it will get stolen....

If you want a proper helmet, bring one from the states, Pay about $150 -200 for a decent helmet.. HJC is s good brand, Arai & Sheoi are over priced as they a have big sponsership budgets to support !!!

As I mentioned before this particular line of Index helmets were every bit as heavy, had just as much padding and seemed just as well constructed at the Real Helmets the dealership had.

FYI- there is no correlation between the weight of a motorcycle helmet and its crash worthiness...

When it came to replacing the old Shoei I had a good look around. A new Arai or Nolan or Shoei....at the low end was still a lot of money. So I opted for a Nitro N311-v which is a polycarbonate shell and a nice fit. Originally 200 bucks but can be had now on ebay for 100 new. It may not be flash, but it'll do!

post-63954-1255868125_thumb.jpg post-63954-1255868079_thumb.jpgpost-63954-1255868107_thumb.jpg