Tourists Say They Weren't Warned

george

Tourists say they weren't warned

PHUKET: -- Foreign tourists at Patong beach have complained they received no warning of a possible tsunami after Monday's night major earthquake in Indonesia and called for speedy erection of an early warning system.

''I knew nothing about the quake. There were no warnings. My husband and I slept in the beach hotel until morning. We saw the news on Thai TV but I could not understand it until I asked the hotel staff,'' said Marilyn Schulz, 52, of Canada.

Hotel staff did not inform them of the official tsunami warning which was issued. ''What would've happened if the tsunami hit the beach while we were sleeping?'' she said.

Her husband Al, 57, said they only heard blaring horns from towers and radio broadcasts in the Thai language.

''A good high-tech warning system should be set up quickly for the safety of tourists,'' Mr Schulz said. ''It's three months since the tsunami, but nothing's happened here.''

Even so, the Canadian couple have decided to stay on at Patong beach and Phuket island for another three weeks.

German tourist Martin Stiewe, 47, said he learned of the quake and tsunami warning from TV news and went downstairs to see what had happened.

''All the Thai people were running for their lives around me. But I walked slowly back to the hotel and went upstairs and stayed there till dawn because I believed there would not be a second tsunami,'' Mr Stiewe said.

Some of his German friends followed the official advice to evacuate and went up the hill behind their hotel where they stayed from midnight till 3am. Some later moved to other hotels away from the beach.

Australian Fraser Seaton, 52, said he was not scared of a tsunami but for his own safety he moved to the Krathu police station on the hill about midnight.

Mr Seaton was in Patong when the tsunami hit on Dec 26.

He said there was no warning then and he found himself being taken from his room by the waves.

''So this time I quickly went up to higher ground after I met a policeman who told me to evacuate. I did not learn of it from the radio or any warning system. Phuket should have a good warning system set up as soon as possible,'' he said. ''I love Phuket. I am here for the 10th time. I want Patong and Phuket to be a safe paradise for me and all tourists.''

German tourist Popp Helmut, 60, was also here on Dec 26, when the tidal waves caused injuries to his right leg.

But he said he was not scared on Monday night and did not flee because he knew a tsunami disaster would not easily happen again.

Somchai Sutanond, 45, a Patong local merchant, said the police issued verbal warnings, telling people to move to the hills around midnight.

He did not hear any warning from the warning towers. ''I had just 20 minutes to evacuate. If tourists do not feel they can trust the warning system it will affect business,'' he said.

--Bangkok Post 2005-03-30

Tourists say they weren't warned

PHUKET: -- Foreign tourists at Patong beach have complained they received no warning of a possible tsunami after Monday's night major earthquake in Indonesia and called for speedy erection of an early warning system.

''I knew nothing about the quake. There were no warnings. My husband and I slept in the beach hotel until morning. We saw the news on Thai TV but I could not understand it until I asked the hotel staff,'' said Marilyn Schulz, 52, of Canada.

Hotel staff did not inform them of the official tsunami warning which was issued. ''What would've happened if the tsunami hit the beach while we were sleeping?'' she said.

Her husband Al, 57, said they only heard blaring horns from towers and radio broadcasts in the Thai language.

''A good high-tech warning system should be set up quickly for the safety of tourists,'' Mr Schulz said. ''It's three months since the tsunami, but nothing's happened here.''

Even so, the Canadian couple have decided to stay on at Patong beach and Phuket island for another three weeks.

German tourist Martin Stiewe, 47, said he learned of the quake and tsunami warning from TV news and went downstairs to see what had happened.

''All the Thai people were running for their lives around me. But I walked slowly back to the hotel and went upstairs and stayed there till dawn because I believed there would not be a second tsunami,'' Mr Stiewe said.

Some of his German friends followed the official advice to evacuate and went up the hill behind their hotel where they stayed from midnight till 3am. Some later moved to other hotels away from the beach.

Australian Fraser Seaton, 52, said he was not scared of a tsunami but for his own safety he moved to the Krathu police station on the hill about midnight.

Mr Seaton was in Patong when the tsunami hit on Dec 26.

He said there was no warning then and he found himself being taken from his room by the waves.

''So this time I quickly went up to higher ground after I met a policeman who told me to evacuate. I did not learn of it from the radio or any warning system. Phuket should have a good warning system set up as soon as possible,'' he said. ''I love Phuket. I am here for the 10th time. I want Patong and Phuket to be a safe paradise for me and all tourists.''

German tourist Popp Helmut, 60, was also here on Dec 26, when the tidal waves caused injuries to his right leg.

But he said he was not scared on Monday night and did not flee because he knew a tsunami disaster would not easily happen again.

Somchai Sutanond, 45, a Patong local merchant, said the police issued verbal warnings, telling people to move to the hills around midnight.

He did not hear any warning from the warning towers. ''I had just 20 minutes to evacuate. If tourists do not feel they can trust the warning system it will affect business,'' he said.

--Bangkok Post 2005-03-30

Just grab a native English-speaking punter who needs some extra cash for beer to record a standard message in English on tape <deleted>. How hard can it be?? :o

Famous last words :o

Wouldnt that raise some kind of suspicions as to there being something wrong?

Did the guy not think to grab the nearest Thai and say "Whats wrong" (in english) im sure the word "Tsunami" would have been screached at him. (Most Thais now know that word, its prenuciation and meaning)

I guess the blareing horns, panicking people and mass hysteria wasnt enough, maybe he was waiting for the German announcement???

There IS a warning system in place in patong, the message was put out within half an hour of the earthquake, given that last time it took between 1hr and 90mins for the wave to hit phuket shores, that gives us 30mins warning...

Sometimes i do wonder about the tourists... i guess some choose to leave their brains at home whilst on holiday?

Sorry for not being more sympathetic but really, wasnt it kind of obvious?

Wouldnt that raise some kind of suspicions as to there being something wrong?

Did the guy not think to grab the nearest Thai and say "Whats wrong" (in english) im sure the word "Tsunami" would have been screached at him. (Most Thais now know that word, its prenuciation and meaning)

I guess the blareing horns, panicking people and mass hysteria wasnt enough, maybe he was waiting for the German announcement???

There IS a warning system in place in patong, the message was put out within half an hour of the earthquake, given that last time it took between 1hr and 90mins for the wave to hit phuket shores, that gives us 30mins warning...

Sometimes i do wonder about the tourists... i guess some choose to leave their brains at home whilst on holiday?

Sorry for not being more sympathetic but really, wasnt it kind of obvious?

Some people just need a little extra attention. :o