New Product Survey

NanaFoods

Which New Products would you be most likely to buy regularly?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I can't do the poll as I wouldn't buy anything in the top section, I would buy some Jamaican BBQ Sauce from time to time though.

No problem... you can just select that one item

Please, take a few seconds... and just select Jamaican BBQ :)

Thanks much !!

There are two items I would definitely buy, Corn tortilla flour , Maseca or any other similar type and Dry Pinto beans.

Cheers

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are two items I would definitely buy, Corn tortilla flour , Maseca or any other similar type and Dry Pinto beans.

Cheers

Masa Harina & Dry Pintos are certainly items we'd like to offer, but unfortunately that's not in the near-term picture for us. Currently our strength is bottled/canned items.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

OK, the first new product we have tentatively decided on pursuing would be a Chile Colorado Sauce - a modification on the Red Enchilada sauce in the survey.

It would be a semi-concentrated form which one could use to make not only Chile Colorado beef, chicken, or pork (Mexican stewed meat) ... but red enchiladas as well. I've been working with JR Texas to refine this product, but have some questions. And...After my visit to the US and testing out Chile Colorado as various quality Mexican restaurants, I believe we have a very good and authentic product developed.

The reasoning behind making it a semi-concentrate is that you, the consumer, would be able to get a sauce with more than one use, as well as reduce the packaging size, shipping costs, etc... but most important to you, a lower price. Also, by making a multiple-use product, turnover would theoretically be better and help ensure its success on the supermarket shelves.

The only thing is, you would have to dilute the sauce-concentrate with a small amount of broth (chicken, beef, pork, or even vegetable, as appropriate to your filling) to make enchilada sauce. The question is, would this be too much work for some folks? Or would you be fine with that? Please advise.

If this is acceptable to most folks, we would likely follow that up with a (green) Chile Verde Sauce concentrate, that one could use to make Chile Verde as well as green enchiladas in the same way.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

EDIT: PS - don't miss the Albondigas recipe mentioned in the main Nana thread, and posted on our website (El Sapo page).

Edited by ChefHeat

Hi all,

OK, the first new product we have tentatively decided on pursuing would be a Chile Colorado Sauce - a modification on the Red Enchilada sauce in the survey.

It would be a semi-concentrated form which one could use to make not only Chile Colorado beef, chicken, or pork (Mexican stewed meat) ... but red enchiladas as well. I've been working with JR Texas to refine this product, but have some questions. And...After my visit to the US and testing out Chile Colorado as various quality Mexican restaurants, I believe we have a very good and authentic product developed.

The reasoning behind making it a semi-concentrate is that you, the consumer, would be able to get a sauce with more than one use, as well as reduce the packaging size, shipping costs, etc... but most important to you, a lower price. Also, by making a multiple-use product, turnover would theoretically be better and help ensure its success on the supermarket shelves.

The only thing is, you would have to dilute the sauce-concentrate with a small amount of broth (chicken, beef, pork, or even vegetable, as appropriate to your filling) to make enchilada sauce. The question is, would this be too much work for some folks? Or would you be fine with that? Please advise.

If this is acceptable to most folks, we would likely follow that up with a (green) Chile Verde Sauce concentrate, that one could use to make Chile Verde as well as green enchiladas in the same way.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

EDIT: PS - don't miss the Albondigas recipe mentioned in the main Nana thread, and posted on our website (El Sapo page).

no problem to dilute it from my end Chef.

Not too much of a problem, but make sure your product is well-labeled that you have to add stock. I don't usually make stock, but Campbell's sells chicken and beef stock in small cartons which is available at Foodland and Villa, but I'm not sure about Tops.

Currently, I buy Casa Fiesta mild red enchilada sauce, 10 ozs, sold for about 67.50 baht at Foodland and Villa. It's imported from Texas. It is not concentrated, and a can makes about 6 enchiladas for me.

Not too much of a problem, but make sure your product is well-labeled that you have to add stock. I don't usually make stock, but Campbell's sells chicken and beef stock in small cartons which is available at Foodland and Villa, but I'm not sure about Tops.

Currently, I buy Casa Fiesta mild red enchilada sauce, 10 ozs, sold for about 67.50 baht at Foodland and Villa. It's imported from Texas. It is not concentrated, and a can makes about 6 enchiladas for me.

Re the Campbell's stock - they do sell it at Tops - the stuff is not cheap by any means.

Thanks for your input.

Thank to James as well.

This is very helpful discussion and I appreciate it.

BTW - Is that 10 fluid ounces (300ml)? Hmmm..that would make me about 4 enchiladas. I have a 360ml jar picked out -- diluted it would net you approximately 480ml of enchilada sauce - enough for 6-8 well-sauced enchiladas (depending on the enchilada size).

Regarding broth/stock... I was figuring most folks would use those ubiquitous Knor or Maggi cubes + hot water. Per Knor's instructions: for a light broth they recommend 1-cube per 1-ltr water; for a stronger broth, 1-cube per 500ml (this is how I mostly use it in my cooking).

How do you think?

And yes, thanks to the tall jar that I have chosen (with some prompting as a result of JR's feedback), there is plenty room on the label for reasonably detailed instructions for both Chile Colorado stew as well as for making Enchiladas. Of course, we cant write a cookbook on the label, but as with all our products, it will be supported with detailed recipes on our website.

Hi ChefHeat.

Non-Mexican food:

Beef stew--something many of us miss and don't want to make using local beef. My guess is that both Brits and Americans would eat it.

Mexican food:

Jalapenos for nachos w/ cheese on top (but need chips too).

Refried beans/frijoles: this is in demand and hard to find if you live outside of the big city. Add bacon to it and fry it up and it is good stuff.......can also put it on nachos.

Chile, without or with beans. You can make so many things with good chile--can eat it by itself or add it to nachos or add it as topping and/or filling for enchiladas.

Taqueria salsa: something to put on top of home-made tacos would be nice.......could also top nachos with a small amount.

Just in terms of sales, I think a lot of hungry expats with very little cooking skills would buy chile (with or without beans), refried beans, beef stew, and probably make nachos (w/ cheese and jalapenos).

Hi ChefHeat.

Non-Mexican food:

Beef stew--something many of us miss and don't want to make using local beef. My guess is that both Brits and Americans would eat it.

Mexican food:

Jalapenos for nachos w/ cheese on top (but need chips too).

Refried beans/frijoles: this is in demand and hard to find if you live outside of the big city. Add bacon to it and fry it up and it is good stuff.......can also put it on nachos.

Chile, without or with beans. You can make so many things with good chile--can eat it by itself or add it to nachos or add it as topping and/or filling for enchiladas.

Taqueria salsa: something to put on top of home-made tacos would be nice.......could also top nachos with a small amount.

Just in terms of sales, I think a lot of hungry expats with very little cooking skills would buy chile (with or without beans), refried beans, beef stew, and probably make nachos (w/ cheese and jalapenos).

Hi Tejas,

Yes, according to the survey results, chile con carne with beans, frijoles, and smokey BBQ sauce have the most votes thus far.

However, those items we would have to get a different FDA approval, as the first two fall into the "high pH" category, and the BBQ sauce would be an "adjusted pH" product. The Chile Colorado and Verde would fit in with our currently approved range of products.

RE: the Chile Colorado/Enchilada sauce -- I agree a ready-to-serve item would be most desirable around here... but there are trade-offs with that in an Enchilada sauce. Ideally, say with chicken enchiladas, the sauce should be made with chicken broth; beef broth for beef enchiladas, etc. Then there are the vegetarians. I was hoping a sauce-base that a person could customize for themselves with very little effort would ultimately provide the most flavor. But if most people really want something ready-to-serve, I could easily make the adjustments. I just think the final result would not be quite as flavorful.

Just my impression...feel free to comment more.

Thanks for your input.

I know you can take "red" or "green" sauces and make good Mexican food if you add beef, chicken, or pork to the sauces (for me red goes with beef and green goes with chicken/pork).

If you produce these basic sauces, that would make cooking some Mexican dishes easy because it is not that easy getting the ingredients to make these sauces in Thailand.

It also takes a lot of time to make a red or green sauce.

So, basically, the customer cooks the meat until tender using his/her favorite recipe, then adds your sauce, red or green. Right?

Or makes enchiladas with the sauces.......beef enchilada probably has red sauce and chicken/cheese enchiladas might have the green sauce.

Boullion cubes are readily available in Thailand. You just put them in hot water. So people can add more stock as necessary if they think the basic, concentrated sauce is to thick or strong.

I think it is sort of like buying Italian sauce in a bottle. You have the basic sauce and add what you want to it depending on your tastes (e.g., Italian sausage, wine, garlic, sugar, chopped onions, bell pepper, etc).

Personally, I would love to make some really good enchiladas.......but I don't have access to corn tortillas where I live. But if you are living in Bangkok or Pattaya or Phuket you can find them and make enchiladas with the red or green sauce.

Good luck!

Canned frijoles of any unfavored type, canned like the U.S. "El Pato" brand type chile sauce.

Of course and I know at this time you can't stock different type of permit, Masa Harina and corn tortillas, Mexican spices, Oregano, Adobo seasoning, comino etc the ones in little see Thur bags sold at most Mexican shops. Also dried posole in 12 0z-1 pound bags, I would definitely buy.

Beef stew, canned corned beef,Strings of dried whole red chiles (Chile Verde).

That my wish list.

Cheers: :)

Edited by kikoman

Chef Heat

This is off the subject but a while back you posted to a post Re: Chiang Mai Sausage, you could tell there was a missing ingredients by looking at the picture, I would like for you to PM me with your recipe for that sausage, if at all possible,

Thanks

Kikoman.

Cheers: :)

PM Sent, Kikoman.

----------------------

Gosh, with several new votes for "chile con carne with beans" this puts it way out in front.

Frijoles gaining as well. People really want their beans!!

Hmmm... I may need to re-evaluate our priorities and try to expedite getting our FDA approval for "high pH" products.

RE the enchilada sauces... seems some feedback from other sources outside TV indicate I may need to consider just making them completely ready-made sauces. Easy to do. Perhaps the concentrate version would be better suited for the HORECA market, so I will be keeping my concentrate recipe handy.

Thanks to all who participated in the survey thus far.

However, I would feel more comfortable about the results if we can get to at least 100 participants.

** More survey votes please :)

Hi.........I know you already make some excellent picante sauce (and tabasco sauce).

And I have read about the FDA issue.

I think you have eaten at Tacos and Salsa.

If you are like me and a lot of other expats, then you like the three salsas (hot sauces) Jorge serves: red, orange, and green.

I would like to see these three salsas in bottles next to home made corn chips!

Given what you are doing now, and the FDA issue, it seems possible.

Lazy expats could eat the sauces with chips or make nachos with them or even top off tacos or burritos or enchiladas with them.

Or, put them on ice cream if you are from Texas :)

post-99053-1267327174_thumb.jpg

In the picture, the red is picante, I think.

The green is probably tomatillo/jalapeno based.

The orange........well, who knows? My guess is carrot based but if that is the case you sure don't taste it.........I really like the orange one......very special recipe.

The orange........well, who knows? My guess is carrot based but if that is the case you sure don't taste it.........I really like the orange one......very special recipe.

Actually I haven't been to T&S as of yet, so I cant comment on their taste.

Per your pic:

The red one looks like a typical pico de gallo salsa (aka salsa casera, salsa fresca, etc)

The orange... I'll have to take your word for it. Looks interesting, though.

The Green... yes, perhaps tomatillo, however I dont see many seeds which are typical of a tomatillo-based salsa... so I might postulate they could be using green tomatoes. As you know, its very difficult to find tomatillos in Thailand. I have never seen them on sale anywhere. However, my first sprouts have come up from the seeds I brought back from the US. Let's see how it goes...

Nic pic, by the way.

...and thanks for your other comments, Tejas.

Actually I haven't been to T&S as of yet, so I cant comment on their taste.

Per your pic:

The red one looks like a typical pico de gallo salsa (aka salsa casera, salsa fresca, etc)

The orange... I'll have to take your word for it. Looks interesting, though.

The Green... yes, perhaps tomatillo, however I dont see many seeds which are typical of a tomatillo-based salsa... so I might postulate they could be using green tomatoes. As you know, its very difficult to find tomatillos in Thailand. I have never seen them on sale anywhere. However, my first sprouts have come up from the seeds I brought back from the US. Let's see how it goes...

Nic pic, by the way.

...and thanks for your other comments, Tejas.

Yes.........not sure why I said the "red" is picante......when I know it is not. In fact, picante seems to be missing at Mexican restaurants in Thailand.

The red is the pico de gallo/salsa fresca.

The green? Not sure.

The orange? Maybe it is a blend of carrot, pineapple, habanero, and some other yellow-orange peppers.

I am sure if you Google "orange colored Mexican hot sauce", you will find it in the bottles.

Here is another pic of what you can do with it:

post-99053-1267487519_thumb.jpg

All three are versitile......can use on tacos, tamales, burritos, fajitas, nachos, or just with chips.

If you added the "green" and "orange" to your product line along with your already stellar picante (red), I would certainly purchase them (I think a lot of others would too).

All can be processed and put in bottles.........probably no new FDA issue.

Good luck.

post-99053-1267487539_thumb.jpg

Hi Tejas,

Yes, not likely FDA issues with any salsa, as they are mostly all low pH items.

The Salsa Taqueria currently being considered would be tomatillo-based, but would also employ dried red chiles (such as arboles). It would be green, but not quite a green as the one in your pic -- there would be some red flakes from the chiles and it would be rather piquant. Would this suffice or do you think a Salsa Tomatillo, with green everything, would do better?

I have something on the drawing board for a habanero salsa... it would be orange-ish. Not sure it would be anywhere similar to T&S's, but my original concept is that it would be painfully piquant. This could change, of course, if I get more serious about it and do some more market research.

Although we do wish to provide customers with more variety, a certain amount of sales of "new flavors" will cannibalize sales of the existing products in that category. This is why I think, from a business standpoint, we need to release something different first, such as an enchilada sauce, or if we can finagle it, chile con carne, frijoles, etc.

Hi Tejas,

Yes, not likely FDA issues with any salsa, as they are mostly all low pH items.

The Salsa Taqueria currently being considered would be tomatillo-based, but would also employ dried red chiles (such as arboles). It would be green, but not quite a green as the one in your pic -- there would be some red flakes from the chiles and it would be rather piquant. Would this suffice or do you think a Salsa Tomatillo, with green everything, would do better?

I have something on the drawing board for a habanero salsa... it would be orange-ish. Not sure it would be anywhere similar to T&S's, but my original concept is that it would be painfully piquant. This could change, of course, if I get more serious about it and do some more market research.

Although we do wish to provide customers with more variety, a certain amount of sales of "new flavors" will cannibalize sales of the existing products in that category. This is why I think, from a business standpoint, we need to release something different first, such as an enchilada sauce, or if we can finagle it, chile con carne, frijoles, etc.

I can see we both are online at the same time..........good news about the FDA issue.

The green salsa just needs to taste really good. The precise color, I think, is not that big of an issue (same for the orange/yellow salsa).

Jorge's orange salsa is not that hot, and that makes me think it might only have a small amount of habanero in it........just not sure.......but it is good.

On your next trip to Bangkok you really should try Tacos and Salsa. I think those three salsas are likely standard fare in Mexico. In Texas, we normally only see the picante hot sauce and the salsa fresca.

Personally, and others can chime in, I have not seen the orange salsa or the green one on the shelves of any store in Thailand. I don't see anybody really emphasizing Mexican products.

I was in Paragon recently.......that large/fancy food store inside it.........and could not find much......did see frijoles in a can (grossly expensive) and chips (again grossly expensive).

But that is what happens when you import stuff.......make them locally and the price can be reduced (I think).

Enchilada sauce: just am not sure how large a market demand there is for that.

Frijoles and chili con carne: people will be lined up to buy it. But then there is the FDA issue.

I can also see frozen chile con carne in a plastic bag.......but that is another issue.

I would like to see family-size pasta sauce jars. Between Prego and Nana of similar sizes, I buy Nana. But if there are big Prego jars on the shelves, I buy Prego. Just easier, more economical, and I'm a big eater. I do prefer Nana though.

Pizza sauce in a jar (not can) would be really nice too.

I would like to see family-size pasta sauce jars. Between Prego and Nana of similar sizes, I buy Nana. But if there are big Prego jars on the shelves, I buy Prego. Just easier, more economical, and I'm a big eater. I do prefer Nana though.

Interesting.

Thanks for your input.

A couple questions:

1. What flavor pasta sauce do you typically buy in a family-size jar?

(Note: Import prices may have changed recently with fluctuations in the dollar, but last time I checked, I recall it still being cheaper per weight/volume to by 2 jars of our Traditional sauce (2 x 360ml = 720ml) as opposed to one large jar of Traditional Prego (720-800ml??). Anyone know the current situation?)

2. When you think of pizza sauce, what differences do you associate with that, as opposed to a traditional pasta sauce (eg: sweeter, spicier, less herbs??)?

Thanks much.

Edited by ChefHeat

1) Just the traditional. I usually add more ingredients to suit my mood. BTW, I'm not too sure about price point, but I do remember the stores often having specials and sales on big Prego jars. I probably have an unfair attachment to those big Prego jars since I've been buying them for over a decade now :)

2) Traditional, leaning towards spicy. Definitely not sweet. In laziness and desperation, I use Hunt tomato sauce here. It comes in a can which isn't good and not very tasty. I haven't seen any "pizza sauce" on the shelves.

A question: If I reduce your Nana sauce by simmering, would I get something thick resembling a pizza sauce?

Check out the pizza threads. There seems to be lots of interest in homemade pizzas.

Best wishes

Hi Macx,

I have had others say they they prefer a less herbed sauce for pizza, so as to get more predominant tomato flavor.

This is why I posed the question to you, as there seems to be quite a range of what people prefer for their pizza sauce.

Here at home, we have been using our Traditional sauce straight from the jar to make homemade pizza. When making it for our (Thai) nephews or their friends, they prefer we sweeten it up with about 1/2 tsp sugar per 360ml jar.

Actually, I have recently discovered our Arrabbiata sauce is really quite nice on a pizza...my preference at the moment. Its spicier than Traditional, slightly more garlicky, and is more mellow on the herb (as the only herb used in this sauce is Italian parsley). My first recommendation would be to try this!!

I would not recommend reducing our Traditional sauce, as that would concentrate the salt level, sugar, and everything else -- and essentially throw off the balance. If the Arrabbiata doesnt sit right with you, I might suggest to try adding a tablespoon of tomato paste to our Traditional and see if that works for you... or maybe try the same with Arrabbiata.

Interesting.

Thanks for your input.

A couple questions:

1. What flavor pasta sauce do you typically buy in a family-size jar?

(Note: Import prices may have changed recently with fluctuations in the dollar, but last time I checked, I recall it still being cheaper per weight/volume to by 2 jars of our Traditional sauce (2 x 360ml = 720ml) as opposed to one large jar of Traditional Prego (720-800ml??). Anyone know the current situation?)

2. When you think of pizza sauce, what differences do you associate with that, as opposed to a traditional pasta sauce (eg: sweeter, spicier, less herbs??)?

Thanks much.

Some of the best home made pizzas I have eaten were made with the typical "Ragut" spaghetti sauce ins tead of tomato sauce, I can recommend it!

Sorry, but I don't quite understand the last post.

------------------------

However, I do have another idea I am contemplating:

What do you folks think about a "Taco Seasoning Mix" (in a sachet packet)??

yeah, I know, those are for gringo tacos, but it seems this style is popular here, and I see import taco mixes in the stores.

I am reasonably certain we can beat their pricing, and perhaps improve on taste as well.

Sorry, but I don't quite understand the last post.

------------------------

However, I do have another idea I am contemplating:

What do you folks think about a "Taco Seasoning Mix" (in a sachet packet)??

yeah, I know, those are for gringo tacos, but it seems this style is popular here, and I see import taco mixes in the stores.

I am reasonably certain we can beat their pricing, and perhaps improve on taste as well.

Good idea........you can use taco mix for at least three things: 1) tacos, 2) home made chili with/without beans, and 3) tamale pie.

The popular McCormick brand has two packages, one for tacos and another for chili but (I think) they are almost identical.

If living in Bangkok or Pattaya, etc., it might not be that difficult to find good, imported ground beef (certainly not Thai beef for me) for both chili and tacos, etc.

Good idea........you can use taco mix for at least three things: 1) tacos, 2) home made chili with/without beans, and 3) tamale pie. The popular McCormick brand has two packages, one for tacos and another for chili but (I think) they are almost identical.
I use McCormick taco seasoning mix for all kinds of things - taco beef, enchilada beef, steak rancheros, chili, bean dip, guacamole, etc. It substitutes for a mix of spices (chili powder, garlic powder, oregano and cumin). I use about 2 packets per month.

Thanks for the quick responses, Tejas and zaph.

Very interesting...

I dont live near Bangkok or any major city, and cant quite recall McCormick's pricing.

I think I have seen Casa Fiesta mix as well... or perhaps it was another brand.

Zaph, do you recall their pricing?

Thanks.