Should I Open A Rock Bar In Chaweng?

Having been in Samui for 3 months living here (having visited many times over the years) I was wondering whether a bar playing live rock music would work in Chaweng. Coco Blues bar seems to be doing well, and the middleaged crowd I know from HK like it. So far as I can see, there is very little for 30-50 year olds to do after dinner...watching a good live rock band (as opposed to blues and jazz which I find terminal) in comfortable surroundings may be a winner? All covers that the audience would like. Location would be important of course. Comments? I know bars are notoriously hard work, but I would not intend to be there all hours, having a full-time manager to do all that stuff.

There used to be a bar on the main beach road called Full Circle that played live music. This place shut about 12 months ago and now forms part of the terrace for "The Deck".

There is also the Reggae Pub playing live music in a large venue every night for the 25+ crowd.

Leemond

There used to be a bar on the main beach road called Full Circle that played live music. This place shut about 12 months ago and now forms part of the terrace for "The Deck".

One of the 2 bands that used to play at Full Circle, Siam band, now plays at the "Sound" at the end of the alley behind the Deck,

they also play at "Springer bar" south on Chaweng on Saturdays, generally an older crowd, has comfortable seats, a rocker theme (a chopper motorcycle and half a car on the stage) pool table.

Owners of Springer's are Danish, they are very nice, you should ask them what they think about owning a bar in Samui and your chances of success.

• 2 weeks later...

Rock bars seem such a dated concept now. Times have changed so why not try something a bit different? The days of the guys with the cut off denims and leather waistcoat sporting a mullet have since past. Thank God for that.

I have lived in Thailand for several years now and I think the type of people that

holiday here has changed dramatically. You are right when you say that 30-50yr olds have little to do after dinner, and I fit into that category, but the rock bar thing is such a cliche. Do something original and you will have a customer in me.

Good luck

guys with the cut off denims and leather waistcoat sporting a mullet have since past.

you havent been to samui for a while then.

samui seems to be a refuge for two of the worlds most despised species

mullet-denim man , pimply and unshaven , scurrying around looking for bratwurst and sauercraut and brit wide boy man standing in the middle of the road blaring into his mobile about land prices , electric plugs (they fakkin gottem daaaaahn tescos ) and footie.

they should send david attenborough there to do a special

Edited by taxexile

guys with the cut off denims and leather waistcoat sporting a mullet have since past.

you havent been to samui for a while then.

samui seems to be a refuge for two of the worlds most despised species

mullet-denim man , pimply and unshaven , scurrying around looking for bratwurst and sauercraut and brit wide boy man standing in the middle of the road blaring into his mobile about land prices , electric plugs (they fakkin gottem daaaaahn tescos ) and footie.

they should send david attenborough there to do a special

Fair enough Taxexile

You're right. The latter of the two species is certainly abundant, where as upon my last visit, the former had dwindled somewhat. Hopefully both will eventually become extinct.

HOW come, I worry more about that (right said) "bratwurst and sauerkraut" thing than any other brit (mis)behaviour?

As posted in other samui forum threads: samui unfortunately is rapidly loosing its island identity. Few unspoiled spots left.

Imho, no need at all for any new bar.

And definitely no need at all to accomodate more and more package group german bratwurst tourists.

Just my 5 final satang b4 taking my summer break (in europe, yes...but definitely not in germany).

Have a nice time meanwhile, folks and girls. Enjoy Samui as long as u can enjoy.