Best Burgers In Pattaya

aussiechick

Re the new Just Burgers

Last night I spent 45 minutes walking forward to the first soi 8, back to soi 4 ish and then finally back to the second soi 8 (there are two are there not, or am I mad??) only to find them cashing up at 10.20pm. Wasted and frustrated trip to Jomtien so went back to Pattaya and had an Aussie Burger on the South West corner of the junction of Soi Bukaow and soi Dianna Inn. Is Justin serious about making money if he closes at that time on a Friday night?

A plea from a visiting falang for locals to be as specific as possible about location on restaurant recommendations- I know you all know instantly where it is when someone writes 'soi 8 next to Red & White Bar' but I have given up on one or two unfound recommendations in the past.

The Oz burger was ok - better than I would normally expect from a street stall, but with some points to criticise if you are an American burger gourmand. Bad points - griddled not flame grilled so the BBQ taste (which just about worked) is presumably painted on. The patty was squeezed out on the griddle (to pick up an earlier point by a hamburger scientist). Chips poor value - small portion for 40 baht and cooked in oil that was too cool and had a faint aroma left suggesting over-recycling. I like either thin and crispy or fat and chunky - these were thin and a little soggy. Bun was good - big size and not the usual Thai sweet dough. Toasting was a little too light but I should have concentrated and asked for more. Patty tasted pretty good and juicy, marginally oversalted for my taste. Proper hamburger cheese. A cheeseburger is 110 baht BTW. Beetroot is 15 baht for Ozzies

There was a drunk Oz ahead of me in the line, criticising the Scottish/Australian falang's Thai wife (we have to say she is the boss don't we in LoS) for screwing up the cooking on the night I went, saying that the 'late lady does a better job so maybe it's better to go late. On second thoughts go early and avoid his unwelcome company!

I think with a bit of attention to training (each burger cooked serially in the Thai way - they must lose so many customers who can't be bothered to wait) and oil control on chips this will be a pretty successful business, for which I noticed they are looking for franchisees.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped by Just Burgers on Friday for lunch.

I'll keep it brief here - probably not the best burger in Thailand. While the bun was great and the toppings were fresh and crisp, the beef totally kills it. Good fries, cold beer, low price, short wait times - many good points. But the beef is just not good. Its seasoned similar to the burger at Jameson's, but there's a very dense texture to the meat that I just didn't care for. Good value for money, but I think I'll cook them at home.

If I could make two recommendations to improve the place:

1. Add cheddar to the list of available ingredients.

2. Expand the menu to include a burger made with imported beef. There are those of us who would gladly pay more for a really great burger.

I stopped by Just Burgers on Friday for lunch.

I'll keep it brief here - probably not the best burger in Thailand. While the bun was great and the toppings were fresh and crisp, the beef totally kills it. Good fries, cold beer, low price, short wait times - many good points. But the beef is just not good. Its seasoned similar to the burger at Jameson's, but there's a very dense texture to the meat that I just didn't care for. Good value for money, but I think I'll cook them at home.

If I could make two recommendations to improve the place:

1. Add cheddar to the list of available ingredients.

2. Expand the menu to include a burger made with imported beef. There are those of us who would gladly pay more for a really great burger.

Seconded....good beef is A must...don't mind paying extra.

I don't know the owner's cost factors but offering better grade beef for extra money would be appealing. Like I said, it still tasted like Thai beef and I agree the texture was still like Thai beef, but how many other places are doing their burgers on a gas grill like this place with a strong taste of the grill on the meat? I agree the fries were not very good and a small portion. I hate to sound the cynic but if they do offer better beef for more money, please ACTUALLY always use the better beef (worried about the precedent of the fake ketchup).

Edited by Jingthing

I don't know the owner's cost factors but offering better grade beef for extra money would be appealing. Like I said, it still tasted like Thai beef and I agree the texture was still like Thai beef, but how many other places are doing their burgers on a gas grill like this place with a strong taste of the grill on the meat? I agree the fries were not very good and a small portion. I hate to sound the cynic but if they do offer better beef for more money, please ACTUALLY always use the better beef (worried about the precedent of the fake ketchup).

Also good fries is one of the major factors in the hamburger business. Your hamburgers can be good, but without good fries and a generous portion the business will not make it in my opinion.

Barry

When I went last week, there were plenty of fries at Just Burgers--I didn't even finish them all even though I ordered only a burger and fries.

Someone said there were not enough fries at the aussie burger place, but this is the first I've heard of not enough at Just Burgers. I think someone got confused.

Re the new Just Burgers

Last night I spent 45 minutes walking forward to the first soi 8, back to soi 4 ish and then finally back to the second soi 8 (there are two are there not, or am I mad??) only to find them cashing up at 10.20pm. Wasted and frustrated trip to Jomtien so went back to Pattaya and had an Aussie Burger on the South West corner of the junction of Soi Bukaow and soi Dianna Inn. Is Justin serious about making money if he closes at that time on a Friday night?

Yes, I think that the first few posts of this topic are misleading. It is not on Soi 8. First pass Soi Denmark, then go past Soi 8 then continue 100 yards and look for the Just Burgers sign.

It was a tasty burger, but somehow I expected something better. But still, recommended if you are in the area (Jomtien).

A lot of people will disagree with me and ridicule me and mock me but I consider the Burger King burger to be hard to beat in Pattaya, although it is overpriced and expensive.

Re the new Just Burgers

Yes, I think that the first few posts of this topic are misleading. It is not on Soi 8. First pass Soi Denmark, then go past Soi 8 then continue 100 yards and look for the Just Burgers sign.

It was a tasty burger, but somehow I expected something better. But still, recommended if you are in the area (Jomtien).

A lot of people will disagree with me and ridicule me and mock me but I consider the Burger King burger to be hard to beat in Pattaya, although it is overpriced and expensive.

I disagree totally with you but certainly am not going to mock you,Each to there own.

Wow, This is the thread I've been looking for. I really miss not being able to get a good burger. The beef seems to be the biggest problem, and the bun second. Thai's just don't make good bread. I would gladly pay extra for imported beef on a burger. I'm going to try the place out. I hope it lives up to the praise. If it wasn't after 10, I would be heading there right now.

Coming from the country that invented the idea of cramming a meet ball into a bread bun, a recipe successfully exported by immigrants from Hamburg to the United States, I feel I have to have a say in this lengthy thread.

First off, yesterday at 9 pm they were out of beef burgers. This is better than selling burgers made last week, so I opted for the chicken cheese burger instead. Nicely barbecued chicken breast, bacon was probably the crispiest ever seen and the overall experience was very positive.

One word of warning, though, you risk running into Aussichick when dining there... :)

Coming from the country that invented the idea of cramming a meet ball into a bread bun, a recipe successfully exported by immigrants from Hamburg to the United States, I feel I have to have a say in this lengthy thread.

First off, yesterday at 9 pm they were out of beef burgers. This is better than selling burgers made last week, so I opted for the chicken cheese burger instead. Nicely barbecued chicken breast, bacon was probably the crispiest ever seen and the overall experience was very positive.

One word of warning, though, you risk running into Aussichick when dining there... :)

Is that a good or a bad thing?

Some good burgers are going to be available at the DMCT / Thai Visa Charity bike week this weekend in Kanchanaburi courtesy of Mr Moo Burgers. See ya there burger lovers.

Allan

For info www.dragonsmcthailand.co/main

Edited by thaicbr

When I went last week, there were plenty of fries at Just Burgers--I didn't even finish them all even though I ordered only a burger and fries.

Someone said there were not enough fries at the aussie burger place, but this is the first I've heard of not enough at Just Burgers. I think someone got confused.

That was me re small portion at Aussie. Slightly more at Justins, and a lot better (but not excellent - good and crispy enough but too overseasoned/salty for my taste). 40 baht at Aussie and 59 at Justins

Jusrtins justs shades it despite the dense patty

Had a burger at Just Burgers again yesterday.

I understand everyone's comments about beef and this and that, but I still like Just Burgers.

Here's why--the burgers were obviously created by someone who likes to eat. If you eat them without sauce, they won't be very good--they weren't designed for that. If you put Justin's special sauce on along with some of the great mustard they have, you have something very tasty.

So to those who bemoan the fact that the burgers here are not like the ones they like somewhere else, I say all power to you. I, however, find the burgers at Just Burgers to be very tasty. In fact, I'm glad it's a bit of a drive from my house to get there, or my waistline would definitely suffer.

I had a similar experience, the time before last when I was there, they didn't drop the fries until my burger was half cooked, so the fries arrived after the burger. That seems backwards to me--I would prefer to get the fries before the burger.

Justin, are you listening?

If he used top grade beef and had to charge much more, then the campaign would be all about OTT pricing relative to his surroundings and the fact that he is no Shenanigans etc. I guess on that point, he cannot win. He's pitched it at a price which is ballpark for people to pay and not complain too much and that includes your Thais.

Closing "early" at 10pm is due to location I am sure as not even the baht buses want to go along Jomtien beach after dark. His trade is the daytime trade off the beach and passing customers.

Running out is ok but managing your stock levels is likely above the Thais he has working for him. If he flips a burger himself then he's most likely outside his work permit conditions so he must be very careful there. Piss poor idea on the ketchup front. Heinz is available and largely ok for customers. Mayo and the like need to be refrigerated.

I wish him luck and wil look out for the place when I fancy a burger. Hopefully he will improve, rather than decline.

Aussiechick, would you please tell the owner to get some plastic bags for takeaway?

I stopped by the other night to get a burger to go. And then was handed a greasy mess in wax paper held together with a rubber band. Not real safe on the motor bike! When I asked for a bag I was told I had to order fries too and then I would get a paper bag. That's just plain stupid.

Aussiechick, would you please tell the owner to get some plastic bags for takeaway?

I stopped by the other night to get a burger to go. And then was handed a greasy mess in wax paper held together with a rubber band. Not real safe on the motor bike! When I asked for a bag I was told I had to order fries too and then I would get a paper bag. That's just plain stupid.

Sounds like the Thais are already starting to screw up a potential good business. If this guy wants to succeed, he'll have to keep his eye on the game otherwise it will end up as a bag of <deleted>. Remember, Thais cannot do western stuff in the main, they need to be trained. If you don't watch them, they will turn it into a Thai style craphole.

Justin mentioned the paper bags to me. He said finding them in Thailand is very difficult. I guess it's a pet issue with him--burger and fries must be in a paper bag!

Maybe he should get over that and use a mix of paper and plastic. The rubber band around the burger is not a good idea either--changes the shape. Get some cheap plastic tape--better.

It's clear that a lot of people here want to see him succeed. Nice to see some positivity on Thai Visa.

Edited by Jimmyd

Hi Guys - for take-away I have only ever seen Justin put the food into paper bags. And I know it has been paper "shopping bags" not your regular school lunch brown paper bag. I will let him know.

Yes, running out is not bad, but how do you tell when you are a new business? I am sure at this stage it is still a guesstimate - so many regulars plus % for drop ins and I know he has managed to score quite a few regulars that even order the same thing each and every time (no, not me with my bacon cheese burger - I'm in the "that's what I will have when I turn up").

Closing at 10p.m. is mainly driven by the fact of how many people do you see in that area late? If it looks like a busy night he will open longer.

He is try hard to make sure everything is OK and lets all hope he will succeed.

By the JT - he always has his sauces in the fridge - they are bought out when you have your meal - I checked the other night, it must have been from from one customer to you, not left sitting outside all the time.

Sounds like the Thais are already starting to screw up a potential good business. If this guy wants to succeed, he'll have to keep his eye on the game otherwise it will end up as a bag of <deleted>. Remember, Thais cannot do western stuff in the main, they need to be trained. If you don't watch them, they will turn it into a Thai style craphole.

No, this was Justin that handed me the greasy mess. He said I had to get fries too if I wanted a bag. That's nonsense! I'm not cheap, but eating a bacon cheeseburger is already unhealthy, I'm not gong to add fries as well.

Here's a message for Justin - Stop Being So dam_n Cheap With The Paper Bags!

Pissing off new customers is not a good way to get a new business off the ground.