Uk Settlement Visa

Good afternoon,

I know that this question most have been asked a thousand times before, but after looking though numerous posts and research on the Internet and via the embassy website, i am just confused now. So i am hoping that somebody can point me in the right direction.

My and my Thai wife are hoping to settle down in the UK next year after she finishes university, following research we did before, we believe that a spouse visa would be the best way to achieve this, as it would allow her to work when she comes to the UK, and would get the 2 year leave in the uk.

We pick this rather than doing the Fiancé visa which would cost us more in the long run. We have been a couple now for 2 years, and we got married earlier this month in Bangkok, and have registered our marriage both in Thailand, and sent off the ORC paperwork via the embassy for the UK.

My first question is when would be the best time to apply for the visa, as we are hoping to move to the UK at the end of march 2010. I believe that current waiting times are around 4 months.

The visa that we have been told best to apply for is the "Spouse/civil partner of a settled person" using the application form "VAF4A - Settlement" I have seen on the VFS website that applications can be made on-line, is the correct. Or is best to complete the form by hand and submit it along with all the supporting documents? If anybody with experience of the process could give an overview of the application process it would be a great help.

Apart from this, we know that we need the TB test, and need to get a translated copy of the marriage certificate which we have. We have also been put together a pack of supporting documents using information from this site, which we feel proves our case. But does anybody have experience of anything else that can help with the application or common problems that can easily be avoided.

We have considered using a agency, but for the money they charge, i don't feel that it is worth it and think that it is best to go it alone with the embassy using help form the internet and friends. I would rather use the cost of a agency for the flight tickets,

Thank you for your time and patience and i look forward to reading the reply, and sorry for asking a question that has already been asked, but as i am sure you are aware, we have all be at this stage and is very important process to the couple involved.

Reagrds

Good afternoon,

I know that this question most have been asked a thousand times before, but after looking though numerous posts and research on the Internet and via the embassy website, i am just confused now. So i am hoping that somebody can point me in the right direction.

My and my Thai wife are hoping to settle down in the UK next year after she finishes university, following research we did before, we believe that a spouse visa would be the best way to achieve this, as it would allow her to work when she comes to the UK, and would get the 2 year leave in the uk.

We pick this rather than doing the Fiancé visa which would cost us more in the long run. We have been a couple now for 2 years, and we got married earlier this month in Bangkok, and have registered our marriage both in Thailand, and sent off the ORC paperwork via the embassy for the UK.

My first question is when would be the best time to apply for the visa, as we are hoping to move to the UK at the end of march 2010. I believe that current waiting times are around 4 months.

The visa that we have been told best to apply for is the "Spouse/civil partner of a settled person" using the application form "VAF4A - Settlement" I have seen on the VFS website that applications can be made on-line, is the correct. Or is best to complete the form by hand and submit it along with all the supporting documents? If anybody with experience of the process could give an overview of the application process it would be a great help.

Apart from this, we know that we need the TB test, and need to get a translated copy of the marriage certificate which we have. We have also been put together a pack of supporting documents using information from this site, which we feel proves our case. But does anybody have experience of anything else that can help with the application or common problems that can easily be avoided.

We have considered using a agency, but for the money they charge, i don't feel that it is worth it and think that it is best to go it alone with the embassy using help form the internet and friends. I would rather use the cost of a agency for the flight tickets,

Thank you for your time and patience and i look forward to reading the reply, and sorry for asking a question that has already been asked, but as i am sure you are aware, we have all be at this stage and is very important process to the couple involved.

Reagrds

You can only do settlement visas online now, so filling out the paper form is not an option. If the current waiting times carry on (3 - 4 months) then put your application in end or December. You can predate the start of the visa, so put it in the end of December and predate for the end of March. Should be the perfect timescale then for you. No need for a visa agency if you are confident that you can fill in forms on your own.

Make sure you provide proof of your relationship, accomodation in the UK, proof of income/savings to support her without resorting to public funds (bank statements/wage slips etc). There is no specific thing people get caught out on. Just be truthful on your application and provide as much proof as you can. If in doubt, include it in your application. Rememebr that the ECO is seeing your file for the first time and can only go on what you provide, so make it comprehensive and do a good covering letter explaining all the proof you're including. Any specific questions/queries about the form, the post back here and I'm sure you'll get some useful advice.

Good afternoon,

If you're officially married already (amphur), how can you apply for a fiancee visa? :D

Apply online for a settlement visa. Good luck :)

RAZZ

A fiance visa is a form of settlement visa which is valid for 6 months and allows the holder to travel to the UK to marry. Once the marriage has taken place the holder then applies for a two year extension in the UK. As you are already married then a fiance visa would not be appropriate. What you want is a spouse visa.

If you have not already done so, have a read through the following:-

Guidance - Husbands, wives and partners (INF 4)

Maintenance and accommodation

Settlement, Spouses

Supporting documents, Settlement – Spouse/Civil Partner

As said above, you complete the application form online and make an appointment at the UKVAC to submit the documentary evidence and for biometrics to be taken. For more on this see How do I apply?

According to Guide to visa processing times, the latest (August) figures show that 96% of settlement applications are being decided within 90 days. This may drop or increase dependant upon how busy the visa section is (this time last year it was about 15 days!). If you wish to travel to the UK at the end of March I would recommend submitting the application sometime in early January.

The visa will be valid from the date it is issued and will last for 27 months. To satisfy the residential requirement for Indefinite Leave to Remain as your spouse, your wife will need to have been living in the UK for 24 months, so even if the visa is issued quickly she should still be able to do this. If concerned, you can ask that the visa starts from a specific date, up to 3 months in advance.

Good afternoon,

Reagrds

You can only do settlement visas online now, so filling out the paper form is not an option. If the current waiting times carry on (3 - 4 months) then put your application in end or December. You can predate the start of the visa, so put it in the end of December and predate for the end of March. Should be the perfect timescale then for you. No need for a visa agency if you are confident that you can fill in forms on your own.

Make sure you provide proof of your relationship, accomodation in the UK, proof of income/savings to support her without resorting to public funds (bank statements/wage slips etc). There is no specific thing people get caught out on. Just be truthful on your application and provide as much proof as you can. If in doubt, include it in your application. Rememebr that the ECO is seeing your file for the first time and can only go on what you provide, so make it comprehensive and do a good covering letter explaining all the proof you're including. Any specific questions/queries about the form, the post back here and I'm sure you'll get some useful advice.

Do you know how long ago it was changed to Online only ?

I completed mine via the forms and it wasnt that long ago so i hope i havent made a mistake.

I completed mine via the forms and it wasnt that long ago so i hope i havent made a mistake.

I believe it changed to on line applications only in April this year. I applied for by wife and daughter's visas in March with paper applications but a friend who applied for her children's visas at the end of May/beginning of June had to apply on line.

I believe it changed to on line applications only in April this year. I applied for by wife and daughter's visas in March with paper applications but a friend who applied for her children's visas at the end of May/beginning of June had to apply on line.

Okay thats got me worried !

I applied only a month ago and i didnt know about it being online only. I used the printed forms and nothing was said when my wife handed them in. She was in there around a hour surley someone would of mentioned something...

Okay thats got me worried !

I applied only a month ago and i didnt know about it being online only. I used the printed forms and nothing was said when my wife handed them in. She was in there around a hour surley someone would of mentioned something...

There used to be a note about it on the VFS home page but I can't find it now. I think it's only settlement visa's that have to be completed on line, is that what your wife's applying for?

If 7by7 doesn't come on here with an answer PM him, he's up to date with the latest information, and he can post links to various sites where you can check.

If 7by7 doesn't come on here with an answer PM him, he's up to date with the latest information, and he can post links to various sites where you can check.

Thanks for the compliment, but to be honest the information I have is only what I read on various official sites, and anyone can post links to them.

The how to apply page of the VAC site says that one can apply in 2 ways, online or by paper. I haven't searched thoroughly, but cannot see anything to say settlement visas have to be submitted online. However, it seems from this page that if you want to make an online appointment to submit your application then you need to compleye an online form.

Chris, if the VAC accepted your wife's form etc. then there is no need to worry.