Send / Receive Fax Using Pc

doctormann

I've reached the point where having a FAX machine would be very useful and I believe that these are obtainable for a few thousand Baht. However, as a dedicated FAX number is not an option and I already have a perfectly good PC, I should be able to send / receive faxes using this, with the right software.

A Google search produces a very large, very confusing, set of info. and doesn't really help me make a choice. Are any forum members using FAX software and, if so, do they have any recommendations?

I have an XP system, with scanner and printer, and use a dial-up connection to CSLox for internet access. The PC is not connected to the internet at all times (often not even switched on) so any software for receiving faxes would need to 'store' the incoming info. somehow (3rd party server? email server?). I assume that sending a FAX is less problematic as the PC would, of course, be 'on' when doing this.

A product called 'MightyFax' seems to get good reports but I don't really know if it will do what I need.

Any help appreciated.

DM :o

I just use the fax program that is included with WinXP, although you usually have to activate it yourself (somewhere in Program Access & Defaults), it probably won't appear on your list of installed programs until you do this.

I don't actually use it with the internet on, don't think you can anyway, certainly not on dial-up. I only send a couple of faxes a week and know when to expect a reply.

If you have Outlook (not Outlook Express) then l believe there is even an option to fax an e-mail to someone who does not have a computer.

Not having a scanner, l just type my fax as a Word document, select print and from the drop down menu select fax. A fax wizard then opens up where you enter the details. As l send most faxes to the same couple of contacts l have a macro which completes the details and starts sending the fax in less than a second. I've seen what the received fax looks like at the other end and the quality is excellent. I was going to buy a fax machine once but decided to save my money as with just a few faxes a week the WinXP fax program does the job. Try it out before spending any money on shareware or a real fax machine. You may find you already have all you need.

I just use the fax program that is included with WinXP, although you usually have to activate it yourself (somewhere in Program Access & Defaults), it probably won't appear on your list of installed programs until you do this.

I don't actually use it with the internet on, don't think you can anyway, certainly not on dial-up. I only send a couple of faxes a week and know when to expect a reply.

If you have Outlook (not Outlook Express) then l believe there is even an option to fax an e-mail to someone who does not have a computer.

Not having a scanner, l just type my fax as a Word document, select print and from the drop down menu select fax. A fax wizard then opens up where you enter the details. As l send most faxes to the same couple of contacts l have a macro which completes the details and starts sending the fax in less than a second. I've seen what the received fax looks like at the other end and the quality is excellent. I was going to buy a fax machine once but decided to save my money as with just a few faxes a week the WinXP fax program does the job. Try it out before spending any money on shareware or a real fax machine. You may find you already have all you need.

Thanks for this info. I found the necessary on the WIN XP installation disc - as you say, it isn't installed by default. Looks as though it will be OK for sending the occasional fax but it looks as though the PC needs to be 'on' to receive - otherwise the sender would just get through to my land-line telephone. This may not be a problem - I'll see how it goes.

DM :o

Thanks for this info.  I found the necessary on the WIN XP installation disc - as you say, it isn't installed by default.  Looks as though it will be OK for sending the occasional fax but it looks as though the PC needs to be 'on' to receive - otherwise the sender would just get through to my land-line telephone.  This may not be a problem - I'll see how it goes.

DM  :o

let me get u right. - you want a software based solution to receive fax on your pc while it being turned off...impossible....thats all i can say...

if u need hardware solution i remember seeing a modem(external) at a friends place abt 4 or 5 years ago which would store some pages of fax in its memory which could be downloaded to your pc when itss switched on...dunno if such products r available...

if u r planin on a hardware solution, u r better off with a fax machine...

for fax software to work with pc being off is IMPOSSIBLE.....i hope its loude and clear....

Vaguely related ... software that will take the call, decide if it's fax or voice and in case it's voice work like an answering machine. Not sure it's even physically possible, just wondering?

its physicaly possible...

years ago i came across a vb6 component using which it was easy to make an application which could accept calls, play a wave file(s) navigate thru menus, record voice mail...ofcourse it could be coded to triger a fax program if a fax tone is detected...and perhaps the programs these days would directly work on mp3...

since having tried it myself, its physicaly possible, all u need is a pc with a modem and a sound card.

im sure commercial programs are available to do just that, did u try googling for it?

ps: if i remember correctly the example code provided with the dll was called joker phone or something...

I don't know of any PC software which will turn your computer's power on, in order to receive or send a fax.

IMHO the best PC software for computer faxing is WinFAX Pro, however, today it is much cheaper (and in my opinion better) to use a seperate fax machine to do the job. WinFAX Pro costs about $100 (US) vs as little as $25 (US) for a plain paper fax machine. (Most stand-alone fax machines also have photocopy capability.) Another question: Is your PC's modem Fax complient? :D

.....and, at a later date should decide to go broadband, what then? :o

just my 2¢

good luck :D

Thanks for this info.  I found the necessary on the WIN XP installation disc - as you say, it isn't installed by default.  Looks as though it will be OK for sending the occasional fax but it looks as though the PC needs to be 'on' to receive - otherwise the sender would just get through to my land-line telephone.  This may not be a problem - I'll see how it goes.

DM  :D

let me get u right. - you want a software based solution to receive fax on your pc while it being turned off...impossible....thats all i can say...

if u need hardware solution i remember seeing a modem(external) at a friends place abt 4 or 5 years ago which would store some pages of fax in its memory which could be downloaded to your pc when itss switched on...dunno if such products r available...

if u r planin on a hardware solution, u r better off with a fax machine...

for fax software to work with pc being off is IMPOSSIBLE.....i hope its loude and clear....

You have misinterpreted what I have said. Obviously a PC cannot receive anything if it's not switched on - even I am not that stupid! I believe that some fax software is based round e-mail so that incoming faxes can be treated as such and can be downloaded from your e-mail server later. In this case, the PC does not need to be 'on' when the fax is sent to you.

:o

I don't know of any PC software which will turn your computer's power on, in order to receive or send a fax.

IMHO the best PC software for computer faxing is WinFAX Pro, however, today it is much cheaper (and in my opinion better) to use a seperate fax machine to do the job. WinFAX Pro costs about $100 (US) vs as little as $25 (US) for a plain paper fax machine. (Most stand-alone fax machines also have photocopy capability.) Another question: Is your PC's modem Fax complient?  :D

.....and, at a later date should decide to go broadband, what then?  :o

just my 2¢

good luck :D

I dare you to find anyone in Thailand paying more than $3 for Winfax :D

You have misinterpreted what I have said.  Obviously a PC cannot receive anything if it's not switched on - even I am not that stupid!  I believe that some fax software is based round e-mail so that incoming faxes can be treated as such and can be downloaded from your e-mail server later.  In this case, the PC does not need to be 'on' when the fax is sent to you.

:o

very sorry for misinterpreting you,...

as slimdog said, you to register with some of these services...

they will assign you a telephone number and all faxes sent to that number will be delivered to you by email.

unfortunatly there are none in thailand(or i have not heard of them)....so you wont get a thai number,...

if you are cool with a US number then efax tyoe services are best for you.,

for your purpose, its not a software you should be looking for but rather a service provider...

if your contacts are in thailand, i would consider it a waste of money to use US based services.....the persending you the fax has to send it to the US...which is expensive.,..then you pay a fee to get it to your email....

IMHO you have 3 options.....

1) keep your PC on.

2) get a regular fax machine

3) get me a phone line and 10 baht per page ill do the service for u.... :D (just kidding)

This fax discussion has piqued my interest, time to enter the debate:

Most of doctormann's questions and subsequent replies seem to revolve around receiving a fax, on a PC using dial up.

What about those of us on broadband? I have a fax machine which can receive faxes (or an office which can receive and forward them) but I am in an extremely remote location and CANNOT dial up a fax line. I do however have a reliable satellite broadband connection on the island.

Therefore, if I want to actually send a fax from my PC, but have it dial a physical number at the receiving end (ie a fax machine) - the how do I go about this?

Is there any free way to do it, or will I be reliant on a pay per use 3rd party fax company online?

Any advice appreciated.

SVB

hello SeaVisionBurma,

i know some solutions you could use.

1)

there are many fax gateway softwares available.

u have to install one of them on a PC with a telephone line.

this PC must be on the mainland where telephone line is available.

this PC should be connected to a broadband service.

what this setup will do is u email the to be faxed matter to the email address alocated to the fax software, include the destination number in the subject or body(depends on software to software).

the fax gateway will dial and send the fax for you.

it can also accept incoming faxes and attach them as a tiff or some format and mail it to you.....

2)

this is the same as solution 1, just that here u dont need a PC, u have a fax gateway in a box, many brands make them....multitech is one of them and their fax gateway is for approx $500....

the advantage here is no maintanance hassles n stuff...a simple but expensive solution.

3)

u could ise VOIP to send faxes.

install a VOIP gateway(FXO) on the land - $200, connect it to an adsl modem...and a regular PSTN line.

at your home, u could use the PC to make calls or send faxes thu the phone line connected to the gateway....

for all of these to work u need to have an office or friend on the main land where u could install these stuff...

Try NIKOTEL

They will give you access to a free FaxToMail Service

-You will be reachable under a regular phone number (German or UK local area code) for recieving faxes

- All incoming faxes will be forwarded to your e-mail address

All you have to do is set up an account with NIKOTEL

Very good quality and rates for Voip Phone as well...

And for sending fax , just use the Microsoft Fax included with Windows...

Get message modem. They used to sell the USR model at larger shops in Thailand like IT City. Receives & stores faxes and voice messages even while your PC is off. Read about it here:

http://www.usr-emea.com/products/p-dialup-...v92-ex&loc=unkg

yr url isint working...

i think u mean http://www.usr-emea.com/products/p-dialup-...v92-ex&loc=emea

if u check http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=US+rob...s+message+modem ull see most of this is $100 to $300.

so if u r lookin for a hardware solution, the cheapest would be to buy a fax machine...

these products are only if for some reason or the other need the fax to come on the PC...

A year ago I used for a while AIS's fax store and forward service. The other mobile operators may have it also. When someone sent a fax to my mobile number, I got a notification on my mobile from AIS. I could then turn my PC on and use my mobile to instruct the system what phone number to send the fax to.

The only problem was that AIS's fax server sometimes took a long time to send me the fax (probably when it had a big queue to send) and this can be a hassle when you have only one phone line.

Another service you might consider is True Corp's (formerly Telecom Asia) MailFax service. This provides for receiving faxes as email attachments or sending faxes from the web:

http://www.truecorp.co.th/index.php?name=p...file&prod_id=87

The only problem is that this costs 400 baht per month (no fax receiving charge) with a one-time charge of 1,500 baht.

Get message modem. They used to sell the USR model at larger shops in Thailand like IT City. Receives & stores faxes and voice messages even while your PC is off. Read about it here:

http://www.usr-emea.com/products/p-dialup-...v92-ex&loc=unkg

yr url isint working...

i think u mean http://www.usr-emea.com/products/p-dialup-...v92-ex&loc=emea

if u check http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=US+rob...s+message+modem ull see most of this is $100 to $300.

so if u r lookin for a hardware solution, the cheapest would be to buy a fax machine...

these products are only if for some reason or the other need the fax to come on the PC...

Yeah that was the link I meant. USR Message Modem was about 2500 baht several years ago. Note that it combines several functions (external modem, answering machine, voicemail, fax) and--doesn't use paper. :o