Decent Bars For My Parents.

spiceman

Hi, Coming to Chiang mai with my parents in December for 4 days so I'm trying to decide where to take them for a few drinks in the evening. I've been to Chiang mai a couple of times before but only really been to the bars around Loi Kroh road. I was hoping to take them somewhere a little bit more upmarket if possible. Somewhere decent with nice clean toilets and nice atmosphere etc. Parents are aged 65 and are staying at the le meridien. Dad drinks Barcadi and Mum drinks wine. Is there anywhere in Chiang mai that would suit?

Please help. Thank you.

Just about any of the upscale hotels have nice bars; many have outdoor patios. The hotels in CM are beautiful and we sometimes stop for a drink in a hotel lobby, read their newspapers, enjoy their airconditioning and use the restrooms. No one has ever chased us out even when we make one round last for a couple of hours. The trick is to be well-dressed and polite, which I expect your parents can do.

You'll probably take them to the Sunday Walking Market if they're in town that day. Hubby and I like to have dinner and a few leisurely beers in the outdoor terrace restaurant of the Montri on Sunday evenings. The food is good, the prices reasonable and the dining area is a bit elevated so you can view all the hub-bub around Thaepae Gate without actually having to get into the crowds. Plus, the rest rooms are really nice. I know this isn't exactly a bar, but you could just stop for a couple of drinks and appetizers.

At the quieter end of the Walking Street, the Tamarind Village has a nice bar/restaurant and low-key ambience, especially in evenings. It makes a nice break from the crowds-- you wouldn't know you were steps away from it all. Lots of nice vegetation and old-style feel.

Just about any of the upscale hotels have nice bars; many have outdoor patios.

I agree. I would recommend the Holiday Inn: nice lobby bar and you can sit inside or outside and watch the river. You can probably do it at the Chedi, but I have never been there.

Tusker, as ThaiPauly said, is a nice, quiet patio site in town. No view, but great place to just sit and talk.

A good tip for when your mum is shopping at airport plaza, point your dad in the direction of the 'wild' western theme restaurant/bar on the top floor.

My 72 year old dad loved it, and my mother has never seen him so keen to go shopping before!

Also places like the Riverside they will probably like. Good for food and drinks.

The massage at 'Lets Relax' (next to McDonalds) and near their hotel is an excellent introduction to reflexology etc. (Dream package is a good one for visitors)

Iain

Oops, sorry MB for not thinking about Tusker's. The OP's parents might enjoy going to a quiz night. The crowd tends to be a bit on the mature (but not elderly) side and MB is very good about hooking up newcomers with a team. It really helps to have people of different nationalities on a team, so accomodating newcomers is no problem.

Chiang Mai is full of English-speaking retirees having a great life without spending much money. The OP's parents just might decide to stay!

Oops, sorry MB for not thinking about Tusker's. The OP's parents might enjoy going to a quiz night. The crowd tends to be a bit on the mature (but not elderly) side and MB is very good about hooking up newcomers with a team. It really helps to have people of different nationalities on a team, so accomodating newcomers is no problem.

Chiang Mai is full of English-speaking retirees having a great life without spending much money. The OP's parents just might decide to stay!

Nancy

They are staying at Le Meridian, I dont think cash is a problem!

Iain

Hi, Coming to Chiang mai with my parents in December for 4 days so I'm trying to decide where to take them for a few drinks in the evening. I've been to Chiang mai a couple of times before but only really been to the bars around Loi Kroh road. I was hoping to take them somewhere a little bit more upmarket if possible. Somewhere decent with nice clean toilets and nice atmosphere etc. Parents are aged 65 and are staying at the le meridien. Dad drinks Barcadi and Mum drinks wine. Is there anywhere in Chiang mai that would suit?

Please help. Thank you.

O'Malley's in the Anusarn market may fit the bill, as would The Pub. They have a web-site.

Try searching for 'pubs chiang mai'.

Edited by KevinHunt

Obviously you know your parents better than us, but 65 doesn't exactly put them in the 'old fogies' bracket and I'm sure they still have a sense of adventure.

If they haven't been to Chiangmai before and assuming they are mobile, why not just amble around together and let them choose a bar and let the cards fall as they may......you might just be surprised with their choice. :)

I stopped guiding guests to places I think they should go to....and mostly it works.

Obviously you know your parents better than us, but 65 doesn't exactly put them in the 'old fogies' bracket and I'm sure they still have a sense of adventure.

If they haven't been to Chiangmai before and assuming they are mobile, why not just amble around together and let them choose a bar and let the cards fall as they may......you might just be surprised with their choice. :D

I stopped guiding guests to places I think they should go to....and mostly it works.

spicys not out of the question then? :)

If they haven't been to Chiangmai before and assuming they are mobile, why not just amble around together and let them choose a bar and let the cards fall as they may......you might just be surprised with their choice. :D

spicys not out of the question then? :)

Let the cards fall as they may :D

Spicey is too late for me.......guess I'm heading towards old fogie. :D

Let the cards fall as they may :)

Spicey is too late for me.......guess I'm heading towards old fogie. :D

youre as old as the person you feel, or feeling up?

um, or something like that :D

........feeling about 90 today. :D

I'd like to add that if I were staying in one place, I'd probably go for Tuskers. We had Christmas there last year and it was very good. I have no doubt that New Year would be the same. :D

His parents are just youngsters. Send mom off somewhere nice and I'll take dad to a few places I know. He MIGHT be embarrassed but I guarantee he'll have fun. :)

I'll even provide him an alibi to tell mom later. :D

Our Forum Sponsers Tuskers would seem to fit the bill nicely.

... as long as they're not partial to Tiger :):D

Also

The Red Lion is nice and close to Le Meridien (the road opposite Night Bazaar from the hotel) as is O' Malleys (just up on the right in the market). Also within walking distance, 100 yards or so in the other direction, is the Saloon (small place right next to the girlie entertainment complex in front of the Imperial Hotel), which is okay for a swift half when not too busy. Those three could easily be done on a semi crawl as could the Chedi hotel lounge on the river, which is really smart and just beyond Anusarn Market (where O'Malley's is).

The Pub is probably a bit out the way for tourists. Riverside defo good option though.

Tamarind Village has a nice bar/restaurant and low-key ambience, especially in evenings. ... Lots of nice vegetation and old-style feel.

Here's a second to "justmaybe's" recommendation of Tamarind Village bar/restaurant -- serene and elegant -- truly an "oasis" in the middle of the city.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Image26.jpg

Get a copy of the current issue of the Chaing Mai Expat Newsletter which has a full page dedicated to British Pubs in Chiang Mai.

The Ole Belle on Loi Kroh is a good traditional Pub with food and drinks. Clientèle is more in the 50+ group and is not far from the Le Meridien.

This is definitely not a girley bar but a very traditional British Pub.

Edited by thaimancnx