Thai Karaoke Bars

jns72

Most people have probably seen Thai Karaoke bars but has anyone been to some Karaoke bar/pub?

We have seen some pretty girls around some Karaoke bars, I don't do karaoke but I do drink a beer here and there with my friend, we speak "Thai nidnoi" and we like to try something new. Anyone been to a Thai Karaoke bar/pub outside Sukhumvit area?

If you have been there: What did they charge you for a beer and how about the girls?

Please share your experiences with us.

Jns.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course you are welcome in Thai Karaoke Bars.

Most Thai guys are very friendly towards Farangs, so don't feel intimidated. go and enjoy yourself.

As for the Girls, it can be tricky, if you're with Thai guys, they will put you right, if you're a Farang on your own, it may be tricky.

100% you can have a good night out in a Thai style Karaoke Bar and the chances of the local Thais taking offence are negligible, unless of course you piss them off....... :)

Then you're on your own. !!

Edited by Maigo6

I've been in a few Karaoke bars but mostly out of Bangkok. I never go to posh ones but head for the ones that look like they are made of driftwood and corrigated iron. They can be intimidating to enter but i have never been made to feel unwelcome. Sometimes i have been invited over to other tables for a chat. If i get really drunk, i end up singing, (destroying), ขอเช็ดน้ำตา by Clash.

It's all good fun and normally means i'm welcome back the next time. I can't remember how much beer was last time but it's not expensive. No idea about the girls as my wife normally comes with me.

Thanks for the info guys!

My friend can sing a song or two..(ehh *cough).. But we hoped to get in contact with some pretty girls that we have seen outside some Karaoke bars. :) Any specific locations we should check out?

Thanks again! :D:D

nidge, I am not going to remove that Thai word...

Please avoid writing Thai without giving the proper English translation. Understandable for everyone.

Not everybody on this board can read Thai

Thai is allowed in the Thai language forum.

Ooops, sorry i wrote it all quick and missed the translation, and spelt it wrong it Thai to). เช็ดน้ำตา = Ched Num Tah. = wipe tears.

I agree pretty much with what Maigo6 wrote. I stay in Chiang Mai and the Karaoke bars are mostly Thai. The girls there often don't speak English and I would be very careful fraternizing with them in any case. You don't know if the girls are already spoken for by some jealous Thai man. Even if you are just being friendly it could be taken the wrong way. But, if you just go to have a beer and listen to the locals you'll be welcomed. They might even ask you to sing... as they have done with me.

I would never go to a kareoke bar in Khon Kaen - Issan without Thai friends (males) you would be asking for trouble..

If you consider taking one of these ladies DON'T! there is a high chance you`ll get robbed by her boyfriend or even friends!

I am scared of these joints but only in Issan.

I would never go to a kareoke bar in Khon Kaen - Issan without Thai friends (males) you would be asking for trouble..

If you consider taking one of these ladies DON'T! there is a high chance you`ll get robbed by her boyfriend or even friends!

I am scared of these joints but only in Issan.

:) Double that for Korat and outskirts, visiting such places could easily lead to problems with no further announcement. True for Pattaya's outlying districts as well. :D

Most of the time i went to Karaoke alone it was in Issan. Chaiyaphum to be precise. Not too far from Korat but i never had any experience of problems or boyfriends. Possibly because they knew I was not interested in taking a girl? Who knows!

Most of the time i went to Karaoke alone it was in Issan. Chaiyaphum to be precise. Not too far from Korat but i never had any experience of problems or boyfriends. Possibly because they knew I was not interested in taking a girl? Who knows!

A Farang is seen as a different entity, as you know living in Issan for any period of time.

Had you been a Thai guy from a different town, you may have had a problem with the locals.

Where I live it's the same, some guys from different Villages will not set foot in another village cos they will be beaten by the locals, it's usually teenage gangs that are involved.

But as I'm the only Farang in the Village, I can, and do go wherever I want whilst getting along with everyone.

Edited by Maigo6

Contrary to popular Farang belief, most women who work in karaoke bars are not 'on the game'. Ask a local male Thai in the karaoke joints, it very much depends on the woman. If the karaoke hostess gets to know you and likes you blah blah.... then it's the same situation as man meets woman as anywhere.

I am, however, talking generally about hostesses at karaoke bars away from the foreign tourist haunts.

Contrary to popular Farang belief, most women who work in karaoke bars are not 'on the game'. Ask a local male Thai in the karaoke joints, it very much depends on the woman. If the karaoke hostess gets to know you and likes you blah blah.... then it's the same situation as man meets woman as anywhere.

I am, however, talking generally about hostesses at karaoke bars away from the foreign tourist haunts.

rofl.

good one.

rofl.

good one.

I've been in many karaoke bars in Isaan and also Thai-style cafes without any real trouble and usually with no friction whatsoever. I'm strictly an observer. The bars vary markedly in terms of what is for sale. I remember quite early on being asked if I wanted to buy a girl (aw suu sao?) and finding that this just referred to an hour of somebody's time as a singing companion. So I wouldn't say Stephen's take is entirely wrong, especially in student towns. On the other hand if you visit certain streets in Udon or Ubon...

ladygodiva>> Depends on what kind of karaoke place. Girls sitting outside = yes, otherwise = no.

Ended up in some small thai karaoke place at 2am off some backstreets not too far off some of the main streets and it was 100% Thai in there, they only had Thai songs, looked like a small lunch-restaurant (and served food), besides the fact that they had one tv and 2 mics being passed around the restaurant...

Not any hostesses around ofcourse.

Go and enjoy it. I have been to a number of "local" ones here in Bangkok and also to a few of the big posh ones as well. Always had good evenings in them, plenty of fun and good value. Never had any problems with locals.

i 2nd the rotf! come on karaoke bars are fronts for prostitution. of course not all girls are on the game but i bet the majority are.

THIS IS THAILAND FOLKS!

I have to disagree in principle... even if what you say is true in some places. There are at least 10 Thai karaoke bars along the road where my hotel is located. Only 2 have women outside attracting customers, or working inside on the tables. The owner told me they are NOT working girls and most have boyfriends. The other karaoke bars have either a male or just one female at the till, and with no

extra staff. The clientel are almost 100 percent young Thai men, and as far as I can tell they are NOT gay.

Occasionally, the pretty girls who front for beer companies do a promotion at one of the bars. But, those girls are DEFINITELY NOT hookers.

I received an email from an old friend today, he heared that some karaoke bars charge you 70B/hour for a girl sitting next to you... :)

That is quite possibly true. I never sit with women at a karaoke bar unless I bring one with me... and the one you brng with you ALWAYS costs more. :D

I received an email from an old friend today, he heared that some karaoke bars charge you 70B/hour for a girl sitting next to you... :)

Yes, that's true, especially with higher end karaoke bars. Just like in go-go bars, it's called 'drink' charge. Going on from what Citizen wrote, yeah sure, there are some places where some naughty after-hours action can be hired, but they are in the minority.

Posts have been deleted.  Any further posts about the specifics of prostitution to include prices and services will result in suspensions and the thread being closed.

There seems to be interest in the topic, so let's keep it within TV posting regulations.

If you can find a small Karaoke bar away from the tourist areas, it can be a good place to practice speaking Thai. Many of them have karaoke machines that require coins to play the music. So unless someone pays it can be nice and quiet.

If you can find a small Karaoke bar away from the tourist areas, it can be a good place to practice speaking Thai. Many of them have karaoke machines that require coins to play the music. So unless someone pays it can be nice and quiet.

:):D:D

That's just great! It sort of defeats the purpose of calling them karaoke bars. :D I can attest to the fact that there are a LOT of poor singers though. The Karaoke bars near my hotel back onto a lake and the singing carries over to my room above the lake... YIKES! :D

:):D:D

That's just great! It sort of defeats the purpose of calling them karaoke bars. :D I can attest to the fact that there are a LOT of poor singers though. The Karaoke bars near my hotel back onto a lake and the singing carries over to my room above the lake... YIKES! :D

That's one of the great things about these bars. If you want to sing but are rubbish, it's still ok. No one judges your ability, it's all good fun and that's all.