Limits On Atm Withdrawals With Foreign Cards

A few months ago there were quite a few reports on low limits like 10,000 Baht if using a foreign card with an ATM in Thailand. But this was at the height of the financial crisis, I could imagine that now the panic about banks collapsing has subsided a bit, these limits also have been lifted. Would like to know if it is generally possible right now to withdraw 20,000 using a foreign card. Any recent experiences?

Sure, same with Katsikorn Bank,when you go into a branch office with your Katsikorn bankbook.

But what I mean is withdrawal limits using a Thai ATM with cards issued by foreign banks.

Edited by keestha

the several cc cards issued in the us, each allows withdrawal of 50,000 baht.... however some atm only allows max withdrawal of 20k, 30k or 40k....

in some smaller cities, the withdrawal amount is correspondingly less....

but with the 150 baht service charge per withdrawal.... most just withdraw the max allowable.... lol

A few months ago there were quite a few reports on low limits like 10,000 Baht if using a foreign card with an ATM in Thailand. But this was at the height of the financial crisis, I could imagine that now the panic about banks collapsing has subsided a bit, these limits also have been lifted. Would like to know if it is generally possible right now to withdraw 20,000 using a foreign card. Any recent experiences?

hi same to me i can only 10.000 baht a day

I was just in Bangkok for 2 months and routinely withdrew 20k at least 5 times from UOB. Also my bank gave me great exchange rate as well as waiving 150 baht fee UOB charged.

hi relaxed question about UOB the bank accept all ATM card i have a card from a bank in Canada because i see on internet an its the best one for currencie i gave more thanks sorry my english its not so good

I was just in Bangkok for 2 months and routinely withdrew 20k at least 5 times from UOB. Also my bank gave me great exchange rate as well as waiving 150 baht fee UOB charged.

hi relaxed question about UOB the bank accept all ATM card i have a card from a bank in Canada because i see on internet an its the best one for currencie i gave more thanks sorry my english its not so good

my card is USA based. It is PNC Bank but issued through my brokerage account. It was strange that I got better exchange rate using card than exchanging directly thru bank, so thats what I will now do in the future. Plus they would never accept my $100 bills at bank where the serial numbers started with DB and DF.

my card is USA based. It is PNC Bank but issued through my brokerage account. It was strange that I got better exchange rate using card than exchanging directly thru bank, so thats what I will now do in the future. Plus they would never accept my $100 bills at bank where the serial numbers started with DB and DF.

ok Thanks tomorow i would go there i found a bank UOB in Ayutthaya

Using ATM card, my bank allows only $600 USD a day(does not include purchase, that amount is $2500 USD). Due to fall of $ against the baut

I can't do 20,000 baut, can do 15,000. Today rate for $ is $600 = 20,016 and with 150 added goes over ATM withdraw amount

subject to your own banks daily withdrawal limits, you can get 40,000 baht in transaction with no 150 baht surcharge on foreign cards from the BIG free standing AEON atm's

the smaller hole in the wall Aeon machines give 20,000 baht in one transaction with no fee surcharge

UOB will give 30,000 baht in one transaction and charge 150 baht fee

Bangkok bank will give 25,000 baht in one transaction and charge 150 baht fee

most others banks atm's give 20,000 baht in one transaction and charge 150 baht

Edited by timekeeper

it is the issuing bank which sets the limit, but at busy weekends and some public holidays, the ATM actually runs low on notes and then imposes a limit so it is not exhausted in a few hours. I have had instances when only 2,000THB per withdrawal has been allowed, and the next day back to the regular 20,000 THB per withdrawal

i used a canadian atm card at 4 different thai banks and all would only allow 10,000 baht withdraw , and when i finally went inside the bank to ask why they just told me to withdraw 10,000 2 times or 3 times if needed ha ha at 150 baht a withdrawl i dont think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out what the banks are doing lol!!!

In my case (underlined). When the banks here started the 150 baht per transaction charge the normally smooth withdrawal of funds at the ATMs (using foreign cards) seemed to change and I began to have great difficulty in drawing over 10,000 baht per day. On one or two occasions I was allowed to withdraw up close to my 300 pound per day limit, but mostly I got the message "Transaction invalid, please contact your bank".

My Uk bank assured me that my daily limit applied anywhere in the world. The local banks told me their machines were working correctly and to contact my UK bank. In the end I had to admit defeat and started withdrawing my money over the counter, which is a pain for me and the bank's staff. I've heard that some banks refuse to do this because of the work involved, but my bank, Siam Commercial still does.

At the moment, I'm in the process of organising an account with Currency Direct in anticipation of SC stopping over the counter withdrawals. This way I'll be able to make transfers from the UK without having to pay the bank transfer charge.

I'm a little paranoid about posting on these boards because of all the would-be comics, smart alecs and downright nasty so and so's that hover around here. For their benefit, I've underlined 'In my case".

In my case (underlined). When the banks here started the 150 baht per transaction charge the normally smooth withdrawal of funds at the ATMs (using foreign cards) seemed to change and I began to have great difficulty in drawing over 10,000 baht per day. On one or two occasions I was allowed to withdraw up close to my 300 pound per day limit, but mostly I got the message "Transaction invalid, please contact your bank".

My Uk bank assured me that my daily limit applied anywhere in the world. The local banks told me their machines were working correctly and to contact my UK bank. In the end I had to admit defeat and started withdrawing my money over the counter, which is a pain for me and the bank's staff. I've heard that some banks refuse to do this because of the work involved, but my bank, Siam Commercial still does.

At the moment, I'm in the process of organising an account with Currency Direct in anticipation of SC stopping over the counter withdrawals. This way I'll be able to make transfers from the UK without having to pay the bank transfer charge.

I'm a little paranoid about posting on these boards because of all the would-be comics, smart alecs and downright nasty so and so's that hover around here. For their benefit, I've underlined 'In my case".

My UK bank/building society allows £300 per day , but I am unable to withdraw more than 10,000 baht per day, c. £196 at present from a Thai ATM. Why, I wonder? Are there any Thai bank employees reading who can throw light on this?

PS Bank of Ayuthea (Yellow ATM's) still not charging the 150 baht fee for foreign issued ATM debit cards

PS Bank of Ayuthea (Yellow ATM's) still not charging the 150 baht fee for foreign issued ATM debit cards

bank of ayuthea YELLOW ATMs have definitely been charging the 150 baht per transaction....

one day many moons ago, i went to 6 dif atm banks, , testing out the 150 baht charges.... including UOB....

they all wanted the 150 baht charges....

PERHAPS HUGH would tell us which ayuthea atm is not charging pls? thx hugh...

ATM debit card daily transaction limit (set by your home bank) for ATM and EFTPOS.

ATMs in Thailand may restrict individual withdrawals to a set amount eg 20x1000THB notes per transaction.

So if your limit is AUD 1000 for your home bank you can only withdraw 20000THB from a Thai ATM per day.

CCs may have a daily limit for ATM transactions but you can obtain a higher amount if you go to the FX counter

of the Thai bank. Fees and chrges will apply and you will see these on your statement. You will have to provide

ID, eg your passport.

keestha

with bangkok bank card you could withdraw up to 500,000 baht per day

The average ATM customer does not usually require more than 20000THB per day. For larger amounts

one can use EFTPOS. or other methods that do not require the physical handling of cash to make a payment.

That is why there is an invidual limit on each withdrawal from an ATM. Security and Safety also should be taken into account.

Also you are not the only customer, there are others.

Using ATM card, my bank allows only $600 USD a day(does not include purchase, that amount is $2500 USD). Due to fall of $ against the baut

I can't do 20,000 baut, can do 15,000. Today rate for $ is $600 = 20,016 and with 150 added goes over ATM withdraw amount

Try entering 18000 or 19000 using the keypad.

bank of ayuthea YELLOW ATMs have definitely been charging the 150 baht per transaction....

one day many moons ago, i went to 6 dif atm banks, , testing out the 150 baht charges.... including UOB....

they all wanted the 150 baht charges....

PERHAPS HUGH would tell us which ayuthea atm is not charging pls? thx hugh...

For me with a UK Nationwide card Ayuthea definatly do not charge at any of their ATM's use them all the time.

subject to your own banks daily withdrawal limits, you can get 40,000 baht in transaction with no 150 baht surcharge on foreign cards from the BIG free standing AEON atm's

the smaller hole in the wall Aeon machines give 20,000 baht in one transaction with no fee surcharge

Please tell me where i can get that amount on aeon? i can only get 7000 in tesco Pattaya. And thats not the fault of my bank ,my limit per day is 16500 @ 55 baht to the pound.

Edited by thaimate

General info about ATM's and banknote limits

All ATM's are machines with a computer for a brain. But that brain is pretty dumb and needs to be told what to do. The part of this machine that gives you the banknotes is a separate machine inside the Atm box known as a note/media dispenser. It has physical limitations as to the maximum number of notes it can reliably dispense at one time without jamming. Most manufacturers max note capability is 100 new mint condition banknotes. A note dispenser is a reliable machine when loaded correctly but will jam or divert faulty notes if filled incorrectly. The dispenser is capable of holding thousands of notes in each cassette and each cassette can hold a different denomination of notes.

When a bank installs the ATM they download the operating parameters for this machine and usually part of this is how many banknotes they will allow in one transaction. The people that wrote the operating software used parameters based on what that institution wanted such as how much cash they would allow in a single transaction.

It seems the banks here in LOS generally allow a maximum of 20 or 30 notes dispensed in a single transaction. They keep this number of notes well below the physical limits of the dispenser to try to keep jamming and other dispenser issues to a minimum and still give the customer a good amount of cash. Some have commented "I heard the machine grinding and grinding and never got my cash". This event most likely was the dispenser attempting to fill the request on that transaction and due to some issue with the notes or mechanism it failed and shut down. Now a service agent needs to come out to clear the fault and if needed repair the machine.

The manufacturers of the dispensers go to great lengths to make a quality product that is 99.99 % reliable. The ATM builder buys the components and builds the machine with the same idea in mind. Up time of over 99.99%

The bank that buys and installs the machines is after the same goal,,,,,,,as close to 100% uptime as possible. The machine is making money for them and keeping customers happy.

Every bank sets dispense limits on their network of machines to a maximum number of notes in a single transaction as well as the dollar/baht/pound/Euro limit. With software they could even control if using a foreign card versus a their own bank's card how many notes they will dispense but I doubt they do this. Most ATM operating software is pretty generic.

So if you go to a SCB machine the limit is 20 note? BKK Bank maybe 30 notes? Another bank maybe 15 notes? I don't know as I only use SCB with my SCB card.

So those wondering may have been enlightened with my long winded thread here but it may shed some light on a sometimes dark area.

:):D :D :D :D

Please tell me where i can get that amount on aeon? i can only get 7000 in tesco Pattaya. And thats not the fault of my bank ,my limit per day is 16500 @ 55 baht to the pound.

My limit is $SG 2000 every day with my Singapore bank

thats around 46,000 baht

so i can draw 20,000 baht from Aeon ATM Carrefour Pattaya twice if i wish

or get 40,000 in one go at Aeon Tesco lotus north pattaya or homeworks south pattaya

i also have HSBC UK with a daily floor limit of £300

any of the Aeon ATM will give me around 15,000 for that depending on the exchange rate on the day

the daily withdrawal limit is set by your issuing (home)bank,

Thai ATMs have "maximum umber of notes per transaction" limits - generally 20 notes per time.

So if you have a AUD 1000- limit currently 30=$1- you have to make 2 withdrawals 1 for 20,000- and one for 10,000- (wit th 150 fee twice) , but if your card is allied with Visa or Mastercard, simply go to an exchange counter with passport and get the 30,000- over the counter - they just swipt yor card through a POS machine, no fees.

I have cards from Aus and europe.. I notice with my Aus card I can ONLY use the pre-select amounts from the ATM screen, I CANNOT use the keypad for other amounts , such as 7,000- or 5,500- - the machine denies the transaction????????? no idea why,,

If i ever need a large amount of money i just go to a currency exchange with my debit card and passport not done it for a while but i never had problems getting 50000bt before.

no problems that route,i have taken out 200000 baht no problem ,its just the aeon machine in tesco doesnt seem to like me!! but it did give me 9000 today ,perhaps its getting to know me :)

If i ever need a large amount of money i just go to a currency exchange with my debit card and passport not done it for a while but i never had problems getting 50000bt before.

no problems that route,i have taken out 200000 baht no problem ,its just the aeon machine in tesco doesnt seem to like me!! but it did give me 9000 today ,perhaps its getting to know me :)

have you tried the one in Carrefour or Homeworks south pattaya?

have you tried the one in Carrefour or Homeworks south pattaya?

No but i shall,thanks