Seafood Resturants

ratcliffe

There's one up past Wat Ched Yod, sorry I can't remember the name of the restaurant, or be more specific with directions (I was following someone). It's a touch on the pricey side, but well worth it. The food and the service are excellent. I took my friend there when she visited, she loved it. There's indoor and outdoor seating, frequented by mainly hi-so Thais, and really bad dinner piano music! 5 of us ate well (2kg of grilled shrimp, and an assortment of other dishes) for 2000B. We took our own wine and weren't charged for doing so.

Perhaps someone else knows the restaurant I am talking about, and can give a name and directions?!

That's where I live, and there are no seafood restaurants within miles of here, are you sure that's where it was? The closest of any note is Similan on the way to Ruam Chok market off the Superhighway, and fits your description.

There's one up past Wat Ched Yod, sorry I can't remember the name of the restaurant, or be more specific with directions (I was following someone).

That's where I live, and there are no seafood restaurants within miles of here, are you sure that's where it was? The closest of any note is Similan on the way to Ruam Chok market off the Superhighway, and fits your description.
There's one up past Wat Ched Yod, sorry I can't remember the name of the restaurant, or be more specific with directions (I was following someone).

Thajene Chomchan is just behind Wat Chet Jod and very good to. 053 221 725.

Where they fresh water tanks or salt water tanks?

I get a bit confused there is a hel_l of a lot of fresh water farmed fish in Thailand and a lot of it is pretty tasteless, ever tried those large Prawns/Gung? very disappointing they tend to explode in the mouth with tasteless water.

I would be interested as some one who prefers salt water fish as opposed to fresh water (if you can say that the brown murky water they have been reared in is of the fresh variety)

What sort of seafood/saltwater fish are served in these seafood restaurants...any body?

It's the old Suki place down the end of my soi, and really just another bulk Thai eatery, certainly could never be called a seafood restaurant, althought they do have prawns and the food is quite good.

It's the old Suki place down the end of my soi, and really just another bulk Thai eatery, certainly could never be called a seafood restaurant, althought they do have prawns and the food is quite good.

This is the place Mahseer, thanks.

Maejo Man, if that's what you consider "just another bulk Thai eatery", I must try this Similan place. I was impressed by Thajene Chomchan.

Where else do you consider can be called a seafood restaurant in CM?

cheers

Edited by keo

Try the Friday night Seafood buffet at the Holiday Inn.

Cost is 500 to 600 per person but is the best selection of shell fish including King Crab, oysters, prawn, and about 20+ selections of cooked sea food.

This is one of the best seafood buffet I have had any where in the world.

I generally do not like buffets but this is well worth the money if you are a sea food connoisseur.

The question has been asked over and over again and the general answer has always been some hidden place off the super and near the river that very few have ever been able to find.

Since we are not talking mud fish, which they sell everywhere, the best selection of seafood in town, since the Nung Nual closed, is the Anusarn. Unfortunately, that is it. There are a lot of "just another bulk Thai eateries" and the food and the selection is challenged to say the most. The Anusarn has the best selection, the seafood is fresh and the atmosphere is lively.

Maejo Man, if that's what you consider "just another bulk Thai eatery", I must try this Similan place. I was impressed by Thajene Chomchan.

cheers

Since the closure of Nang Nuan (with an "n" note and not an "l") there is not real definitive seafood restaurant apart from Similan. That is apart from the overpriced tourist traps in Anusarn market.

Thajene Chomchan is typical of a lot of "Moo Kata" style restaurants, and you can certainly eat up a storm of prawns for a very reasonable cost. The best one I have found is up the lane by the side of Hillside Condo, plenty of parking at the back, and although seats about 1000 has the best value in town. I usually go throught a couple of kilos of prawns, and for 190 baht cannot be bettered.

Similan on the other hand is probably my favourite. Just turn off the Superhighway heading to Ruam Chok market, and it's about half a Km up on the left hand side. The sign is only in Thai, so you have to look for it. The owner speaks fluent English and is quite a character. The crabs are still blinking, the prawns still swimming, and the the oysters sill blowing bubbles. All the fish are still live, and the shellfish are shut tight and not yawning at you. he claims he freights all his own produce up daily, and I have no reason to doubt that.

No corkage and free water, also they do not support the "no riff raff" policy, as I am allowed in :)

cheers

Thajene Chomchan is typical of a lot of "Moo Kata" style restaurants, and you can certainly eat up a storm of prawns for a very reasonable cost. The best one I have found is up the lane by the side of Hillside Condo, plenty of parking at the back, and although seats about 1000 has the best value in town. I usually go throught a couple of kilos of prawns, and for 190 baht cannot be bettered.

Similan on the other hand is probably my favourite. Just turn off the Superhighway heading to Ruam Chok market, and it's about half a Km up on the left hand side. The sign is only in Thai, so you have to look for it. The owner speaks fluent English and is quite a character. The crabs are still blinking, the prawns still swimming, and the the oysters sill blowing bubbles. All the fish are still live, and the shellfish are shut tight and not yawning at you. he claims he freights all his own produce up daily, and I have no reason to doubt that.

No corkage and free water, also they do not support the "no riff raff" policy, as I am allowed in :)

Sorry, but I fail to see the similarity between Thajene and moo-kata restaurants. In my experience, moo-kata restaurants are huge, crowded, noisey, and to be quite honest, quite dirty places that lack any sort of ambience. The food is plentiful, but I find it is quantity over quality. But for 100-200 that's what you expect.

Thajene was none of these things. Quite the opposite I found.

I will check out Similan though. cheers.

Similan is where Buonissimo used to be if that is of any help. I have been out of town for a while but if you visit and they still have grouper swimming around in the tanks out front have a word with the owner on ways to cook and see if it is to your liking.

Enjoy.

Cost is 500 to 600 per person but is the best selection of shell fish including King Crab, oysters, prawn, and about 20+ selections of cooked sea food.

I generally do not like buffets but this is well worth the money if you are a sea food connoisseur.

Do they offer any other Buffet Themes on other nights ?

Do they offer any other Buffet Themes on other nights ?

The lunchtime buffet on Sunday is hard to beat for around 550 baht. For another 250 baht you get unlimited house wine or beer.

Cheers :)

Try Phuket Seafood, its about 2km from 700 year stadium on canal road toward the city. Don't think it has a sign in English though.

I have been to both the Phuket Seafood and the Similan restaurants and, in my opinion, found that Similan beats PS hands down. Similan is not cheap, but I've never seen live Mantiss Prawns in any other "seafood" restaurant in CM, and that includes the seafood place that was opposite the Irish pub in Anusarn market, or at its re-incarnation down the Chang Klan road.

Only thing about Similan Restaurant, use plenty of mossie spray, especially if sitting inside. I can also recommend the crab curry, (extracted from the shell), dynamite. As my friend Mahseer suggests, talk to the owner about dish preparation, he recommended grouper in a thick brown "gravy" and it really hit the spot.

Enjoy

Sorry, but I fail to see the similarity between Thajene and moo-kata restaurants. In my experience, moo-kata restaurants are huge, crowded, noisey, and to be quite honest, quite dirty places that lack any sort of ambience. The food is plentiful, but I find it is quantity over quality. But for 100-200 that's what you expect.

Thajene was none of these things. Quite the opposite I found.

I will check out Similan though. cheers.

You are right, I had it confused with the other one. Thajene is further down the road, and behind LCC. Althought I have been past it hundreds of times, I have never actually eaten there.

Well I fixed that last night, and took a lady with voracious appetite there for dinner. The garden setting is very pleasant, as are all the lanterns in the trees. On the plus side they provide a nice smoking terrace, on the down side they have TV's dotted all over the place, which detracts from the atmosphere.

There is a classic Thai seafood dish (orsuan hoi narnglom) chopped oysters cooked stir fried with egg abd bean shoots and oyster sauce. It was not on the menu, and it was in the "too hard" basket to prepare, which surprised me, so I ordered a large plate of oysters instead. These, served on ice, with a pinch of white pepper, and a squeeze of fresh lemon, turned out to be the highlight of the meal.

The "goog chup beng tort" looked wonderful, but contained dry, small overcooked prawns inside. A barbeque seafood platter was ordered, which was pretty dismal. Three prawns, some squid, and a pile of assorted small shells. I passed on that and went onto a plate of barbequed prawns which were ok. Then we attacked a plate of sweet and sour prawns with mixed vegetables and rice, which was also very tasty.

All in all not a bad feed for 1200 baht for the two on us, and the surroundings wre very relaxing.

Similan does not have the ambience, but the food at Similan is vastly superior for my taste.

Phuket Seafood is pretty good, in my opinion, but Ban Gup Doi next door is much, much better. Best seafood I've had in town so far, though I haven't been to Similan yet.

I hadn't been to Phuket seafood before, even though I pass it every day. Well I went there the other night, and was pleasantly surprised. Not only did they have my favourite dish on the menu, (orsuan nangrom) but it was served on a sizzling cast iron platter with a wooden tray. Top marks for that dish alone!! The rest was of a fair standard, but will go back just for my favourite dish :)

I will give the Baan Gup Doi a whirl in a couple of days and see how it compares :D

Phuket Seafood is pretty good, in my opinion, but Ban Gup Doi next door is much, much better. Best seafood I've had in town so far, though I haven't been to Similan yet.

When did you go to Baan Gup Doi last time? I went there tonight with high hopes, after your "Best seafood I've had in town so far" quip. It was a Lanna style restaurant, and although they did have fried rice with prawns, that was as close as it came. Settling was great, but the food was very average. Disappointed :)

Sorry you were disappointed. I've been twice in recent months & had different fish dishes each time (though I can't remember what they were). Yes it's a Lanna style place but certainly there was a decent selection of fish, much more than just fried rice, and I found that the freshness and preparation of the fish as well as the accompanying sauces were excellent. I don't claim to be a connoisseur but both my wife and I agreed that Baan Gup Doi was superior to Phuket seafood, where we've eaten several times. Maybe your experience was affected by the fact that that corner had a big Loy Krathong celebration and perhaps the staff was recovering and/or the restaurant's stock was depleted? Or maybe we just have different tastes?

Thanks for getting back. Maybe I was confused when you said the best seafood in town, and I was expecting crabs prawns and oysters, hence the disappointment.

If I had planned to go for a regular meal, I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more, but my taste buds were anticipating black chilli crab and oysters. However it was a great setting, and I will go back :)

cheers

Since the closure of Nang Nuan (with an "n" note and not an "l") there is not real definitive seafood restaurant apart from Similan. That is apart from the overpriced tourist traps in Anusarn market.

I didn't know the Nang Nual closed. when and why? will it reopen? It was one of my favorite restaurants.