Drug-crazed Us Tourist Found Hanged In Hotel

george

joel anthony freiler was my brother, I loved him so much only a few of you guys posting lighten my heart at this time.  Joel did not want to die he was full of life always going on his journeys.  It makes me sad and boiling angry to read what some of you have written about my BROTHER.  It was an accident and that is what we have been told...period.

Kurt Eugene Freiler

Sounds to me that you should be boiling angry at your brother for pissing away a great and good life by engaging in reckless behavior that is known to be extremely dangerous.

Johpa - Sounds to me that you don't know sh*t about this situation or how to respect those who deserve nothing more than a kind word and a bit of understanding from someone like you who cannot possibly begin to comprehend what a great person we all lost. I can guarantee that not one of us who knew Joel is angry at him for his death. While tragic, his death is what it is and those of us who knew him best will only take away the love that he shared with us in life.

Love you Joel. This place won't be the same without you.

Em (aka. Lightning & Destruction)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's unfortunate that the man died, but, IMHO... all those who question his death without being crass have their right to do so.

I'm a farang living in Thailand and this place is so <deleted> up that it's not hard to get bumped off and have it covered up.

However I die, should it be in Thailand especially, I ask that you all make as many inquiries (and jokes if you wish :D ) into my demise as possible.

For the family and friends of the deceased, there are some of us that know the other side of Thailand and all is far from it appears.

Thousands of 'drug dealers' summarily killed a couple years ago, a couple killed in cold blood by a cop in Kanchanaburi awhile ago, 'suicides' from balconies in Pattaya where the people have supposedly tied a bag over their head and their arms behind their back...prior to their leap, etc, etc, etc.

Again, when I'm dead; feel free to start multiple threads. :o

IA

No matter what the caused of his (Joel) death, we should give respect and let him rest in peace. I don't know him personally but, I have a brothers, sisters, friends that close to me, I can't afford to loose them. The same thing may happen with all of us in the future, its an accidents! it might hapen to anyone anytime.

To Joel's family and friends : please accept my condolence and apology for the negatives comments here.

• 15 years later...

I'd read these posts a while ago but decided to hold back.

I grew up with Joel Freiler in the same small town since I was very young.  We weren't really close except for the kind of deep familiarity, and sense of allegiance,  that comes from simply knowing someone from a young age.  I also grew up with his friends, some of whom have posted here.

"Curly Black Hair, a Hawaiian Shirt, Board Shorts, Hairy Legs, and Loafers."  If someone randomly stopped me on the street and said those words, I would've immediately guessed they were talking about Joel Freiler.  It's a picture perfect description.  If you asked me to name someone I personally know is passionate about playing soccer, Joel would have been the first name to come to mind. 

Joel was really well-liked, by our classmates and our teachers growing up.  He had a great smile.  He was a badass at soccer, and he must have known it.  He ran circles around the rest of us; a blur of curly black hair, picking up speed and passing defenders down the field.  I didn't know Joel much after high school; it makes me glad to hear he was doing work to help people.  It seems a lot of the kids in our area grew up to care about the right things in the world - not your stereotypical small town people.  It sounds like Joel was representing that ethic way across the Earth.

I want to express my belated love and condolences to the Freiler family and all of Joel's friends and loved ones.  I know it's been a while.  I hope time has helped to heal some of that void.  

I'm sorry to read all the disgusting speculation from the anonymous cowards.  Frankly, it kills me that at some point, his family went online and had to read this garbage.  There's a belief that says spreading gossip is so more harmful than killing somebody: it kills not just the subject of the gossip but also the people speaking and hearing the gossip.  So extra thanks to those who spread kind words and shared memories about Joel.  The word "healing" is used a lot these days, but that's really what it is. 

I'm sorry I couldn't find a better place to remember Joel properly.  Next time I'm up to visit, I'll look for something to remember him by.  If nothing else, then just a walk along the soccer field.  

-Sam