Tourist Numbers Drop By Almost One Million

gotlost

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6% in the grand scheme of things is not high but the tourist industry employs many thousands of thais and brings in a lot of foreign currency,plus the fall off will affect other industries associated with tourism,laundry services,food sales,not forgetting retail industry too.It would seem that chiang mai has been hit harder than other tourist areas in thailand.

Ha, great minds.. :) Anyway, I liked that Chiang Mai Mail series of news reports.. Maybe they're getting better. I also liked the plans for beautification of key areas in town. (not that it will do anything for tourist numbers and especially not foreign tourist numbers in the short term, but it's nice for residents as well.)

I think the main issue is that to Western tourists, Chiang Mai is perceived as being touristy and without any real adventure to it, which used to be the main reason to visit. To new markets (Eastern Europe, Russia, China, India etc) there's just not anything here that people want to see.

Keep in mind it may not be such a bad thing, unless you're in the tourism business of course. Who wants to see place turn into Pattaya? (And I LIKE Pattaya, before anyone jumps on that, I just wouldn't want Chiang Mai to be anything like it. :D )

Ha, great minds.. :) Anyway, I liked that Chiang Mai Mail series of news reports.. Maybe they're getting better. I also liked the plans for beautification of key areas in town. (not that it will do anything for tourist numbers and especially not foreign tourist numbers in the short term, but it's nice for residents as well.)

I think the main issue is that to Western tourists, Chiang Mai is perceived as being touristy and without any real adventure to it, which used to be the main reason to visit. To new markets (Eastern Europe, Russia, China, India etc) there's just not anything here that people want to see.

Keep in mind it may not be such a bad thing, unless you're in the tourism business of course. Who wants to see place turn into Pattaya? (And I LIKE Pattaya, before anyone jumps on that, I just wouldn't want Chiang Mai to be anything like it. :D )

could these new market be encouraged to enjoy the eco tourism that CM surely has to offer?

actually, i would rather see an increase of retirees to CM

give them special waivers/treatment on visas, allow them to buy property in Moo Baans, ie 1 home per couple, or condos, details would need to be worked out, but im sure it can be done by the govt

it wouldnt help the hotel industry out much, but would benefit CM in a host of other ways

-restaurants

-medical

-home services eg maids, gardeners, drivers,cooks

-retail

plus this industry isnt seasonal, its consistant, and the target market is getting larger now.

I don't know about occupancy numbers but I would think they are far less than 50% in C.M. I have been at the Shangri La quite a few times over the last 2 years and have been told by the staff on a couple of occasions that there were less than 10 guests checked in to the hotel on a Saturday night! In March or April we had a guest in town who stayed there and he was the only guest on the entire floor.

6-7% GDP foreign tourism seems low. I know exports account for a huge percentage of GDP, but it sure seems like a lot of people are hurt when there is a lack of foreign tourists.

Donnyboy makes a good point but foreigners being able to buy homes in moobaans will not happen any time soon.

could these new market be encouraged to enjoy the eco tourism that CM surely has to offer?

No. :D They go for ueber artificial tourist BS, the type at which Pattaya excels. :)

Some Russians might go for the Gibbon thing, but then they have that in Pattaya now, too.

actually, i would rather see an increase of retirees to CM

WOT?!

Why??????? Just what this town needs.. ( I'll omit the stereotype. :D

Maybe they could increase the prices of the rooms by 49% to make up for the 49% drop in tourists this year. Sure would be a good way to met tonights break even point. :)

If they were serious about attracting tourists, they would do something drastic like offering some free seats on AirAsia / Nok /Thai flights to and from Bangkok for people travelling on 30 day tourist visas only (and havn't been to thailand before). But of course that would require someone somewhere to make a decision and to actually do some work.

BTW does Chiang Mai have a tourist operators committee/group/organisation? Someone other that the TAT that might actually have some incentive to start promoting CM to tourists?

Edited by freddy123

WOT?!

Why??????? Just what this town needs.. ( I'll omit the stereotype. :D

why not?

makes sense to me

they dont usually make any trouble, (apart from driving slow :D )

will add much needed spending into the local economy

their families are likely to visit and spend money

if the govt could regulate on where retirees could buy property, that could help

like a "grey town" moo baan :D

everyones happy

ok your turn :)

I have news for you even Pattaya is down not like CM but its still not taking off.

Pattaya is down, but not out. Tourism in Chiang Mai is on life support.

> If they were serious about attracting tourists, they would do something drastic like offering

> some free seats on AirAsia / Nok /Thai flights to and from Bangkok for people travelling

> on 30 day tourist visas only (and havn't been to thailand before).

Train would be better in that case.. that's an experience in itself. And SRT has been on life support for a century or so. :) Anyway I think that in the grand scheme of things it's not the cost of a train/plane/bus ticket that keeps people away; no matter how cheap it is, the main thing is still that there is a reason to go.. Imagine that transportation to Chiang Rai town was really cheap, free even.. Would you go? (Other than for visa reasons, etc.)

I would gladly visit Chiang Rai if I could get a clean, comfortable hotel with a swimming pool for a good rate like I can in Pattaya. I enjoy it there and I can swim and hang around the hotel if there is nothing else to do.

One problem with Thailand is room rates are too expensive for many backpackers and they find much better deals in other countries. They just keep going up even though there are fewer customers.

Plenty of nice rooms in C lai and even better deasl online at Duk Dusit etc

As for C Mai the smog and world reession have also not helped

I think the whole Swampy saga may also deter folks taking interal flights even frre

The best thing C Mai can do until th Messiah (Frank at least) turfs up is to have more International flights

The Pu Yais there should ask Fernandes to do cheapos to Uk an OZ likeKl LCCI and maybe US Japan Germany etc

The less loud falangs come to our neck of the woods the more me and the locals prefer it and see few benefits from tourism

Sustainable local agriculture water supply more monasteries is a way forward as advised bythe highest authorrities

Because of last year Thailand shot itself in the foot.People aren't sure if their going to have problems leaving the country again.

Also with the visa's it's not fun.The government sometimes doesn't make any sense.

Frist by economical reasons many EUROPEANS spend his holidays for less money, shorter travel time at beaches with real white sand as around in the UAE etc. At other side the permanent political happenings make the tourist scare and many don't forget the official speach from 14th September 2006 of Thaksin "Farang go home". After this with the 1st October 2006 we had first massive and for FARANG negaitve Visa change which never seem stop as last 30/15 days arrival by air/land. More foreigner get in troubles then we think. If early on 30 days the went visit eg. Ankor Wat in Cambodia, sudden the visa was only 15 days insted ca. 21. And now the tourist visa, after 3rd time red stamp. Behind this must be some amateur, because this don't avoid really "black worker" or will be next step murder the 1 year retire visa which can be get from 50 years old???

SHORT WORDS; many foreigner don't feel anymore safe, we shall try frist give them feelings of safety back before take other mesures as advertisings, promotions ...... as 20'000 rooms for free in Pattaya and at the end against a sorry; misunderstanding they had to pay his room. The happenings in the duty free in Airport also close MBK and Siam Center. All this negative messages was very large spread in European Newspaper. I love Thailand but I am to small worm to change any thing :)

This is not a a sudden drop off. This down turn has been going on for a few years. Pick a reason and you would be correct. A, B, C or D I'll take D, all the above.

Gotlost pretty much nailed it. Everyone with a brain can list a bunch of things that would improve tourism. I still believe that the world economy is the main fault. That and the terrible press Thailand got after the airport fiasco last year.

After talking to various tourists, I've heard it all. Most sunshine tourists want to head for the beach areas that Chiang Mai doesn't have. The backpackers have different goals and are more interested in eco-tours. They seldom stay at the high end hotels. The big hotels rely on corporate companies and the business people. And, when business drops off the companies stop going. The sex tourists go to Pattaya, Phuket/Patong beach or the Sukhumvit area of Bangkok. Chiang Mai has a tiny bit of that, but hardly enough to attract any number of tourists with sex on their minds.

Chiang Mai has a bit of everything but it really isn't a tourist destination center. It only has a few unique features that might draw international trade. But, it's a great city to live in. Most of the ardent golfers I know go to Pattaya and take day trips from there. There's something like 20 or 30 excellent golf courses available between Pattaya and Bangkok.

I do know that tourism hit rock bottom last year after the airport fiasco. My friend went to a fancy Rayong hotel over looking the beach last March and there was only about a 5% occupancy. They had the entire floor to themselves and could pick and choose what room they wanted.

I would gladly visit Chiang Rai if I could get a clean, comfortable hotel with a swimming pool for a good rate like I can in Pattaya. I enjoy it there and I can swim and hang around the hotel if there is nothing else to do.

One problem with Thailand is room rates are too expensive for many backpackers and they find much better deals in other countries. They just keep going up even though there are fewer customers.

I think you probably can? Perhaps not in the cheap & cheerful 500-1000 baht range, but at the top end things are really desperate. Le Meridien is doing crazy deals both in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai.

Also last time I found a nice 700 baht room in Chiang Rai; and obviously at the backpacker end if the spectrum (which us well below that) there is even more choice. You don't find that segment in Pattaya unless you include horrifyingly sleazy dives.

so it really depends where you sweet spit is in accommodation.

I can't for the life of me think why anyone is surprised at this NEWS! We're in the middle of a Global Economic Recession for crying out loud! Money is tight around the world. Millions have lost their jobs, and those that still have them are not spending for fear of uncertainty. Financial insecurity if rife, so holidays abroad are one of the first things that people cut back on in such times.

It's my guess that the folks out here on retirement are the main contributors to this thread? I say that because the working population will know why tourism is down because they're the poor buggers that ain't gonna make it this year! That's what the thread is about right, Tourist Numbers Drop By Almost One Million

Most pensions will be paid out come rain, come shine, come hel_l or high water, so recession or no recession, those on retirement should still get their money regardless of the times. But for those that travel here on holiday, which is mainly the working population, times are tough. It's as simple as that really and has little to do with Thailand losing it's sparkle as a favourite tourist destination. As lovely as it is here, I doubt that people are going to beg borrow and steal just to have their fortnight in the sun!

It is the reasons above my fellow posters, why the tourist numbers have dropped by almost one million, and it ain't unique to the land of smiles either! You watch, the minute the world is back on track and gainful employment can be found within a day, the tourist numbers in Thailand will pick up where they left off at their peak and the trend will be upwards.

Aitch

6% in the grand scheme of things is not high but the tourist industry employs many thousands of thais and brings in a lot of foreign currency,plus the fall off will affect other industries associated with tourism,laundry services,food sales,not forgetting retail industry too.It would seem that chiang mai has been hit harder than other tourist areas in thailand.

I would say more like 20% in LOS, the 6% applies to air travel and accommodation, but there is more to factor in, all the markets draw tourist dollars, so do hair-dressers, doctors, chemists, supermarkets, 711's, car and bike rentals, petrol vendors, ATM charges, the sex industry, massages, tailors (hope there are none in CM though) all the way down to the money a Tuk-Tuk driver earns from taking hotel and resort employees to work.

Reading the news article, I must say I am surprised that someone could think that building hotels and resorts would bring tourists. Tourists come for the activities first, and then they look for somewhere to stay that suits their budget. Ask someone who visited Paris which hotel he stayed in and watch for the blank look, but ask him what he did, or why he went, and you will hear all about, the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Catacombs, the Champs Elysees and the Arc de Triomphe de l'Etoile.

Activities are, attractions and attractions attract tourists which in turn fills, planes, hotels, resorts, restaurants, shops, markets, rental cars and, and, and yes Go-go bars. So if you want tourists, encourage attractions/activities, depending on the type of tourists you would like to attract, depends on the nature of the attractions/activities you would encourage. Shopping, eating, and relaxing are also activities.

If I say anymore than this I will have to start charging.

I can't for the life of me think why anyone is surprised at this NEWS! We're in the middle of a Global Economic Recession for crying out loud! Money is tight around the world. Millions have lost their jobs, and those that still have them are not spending for fear of uncertainty. Financial insecurity if rife, so holidays abroad are one of the first things that people cut back on in such times.

It's my guess that the folks out here on retirement are the main contributors to this thread? I say that because the working population will know why tourism is down because they're the poor buggers that ain't gonna make it this year! That's what the thread is about right, Tourist Numbers Drop By Almost One Million

Most pensions will be paid out come rain, come shine, come hel_l or high water, so recession or no recession, those on retirement should still get their money regardless of the times. But for those that travel here on holiday, which is mainly the working population, times are tough. It's as simple as that really and has little to do with Thailand losing it's sparkle as a favourite tourist destination. As lovely as it is here, I doubt that people are going to beg borrow and steal just to have their fortnight in the sun!

It is the reasons above my fellow posters, why the tourist numbers have dropped by almost one million, and it ain't unique to the land of smiles either! You watch, the minute the world is back on track and gainful employment can be found within a day, the tourist numbers in Thailand will pick up where they left off at their peak and the trend will be upwards.

Aitch

You make some good points.

But although you are correct about pensions being paid come rain, come shine, us ex-pats here on pensions are also feeling the crunch.

I guess that many like me are receiving their pensions from the home countries. Our pension incomes have taken a massive dive due to the lowering of bank exchange rates and the ever decreasing bank interest rates.

I for one now have to watch the pennies and have had to make economical cutbacks. It`s bad news all round.

Also Thailand has had very bad publicity over the last couple of years. Such as the airport sieges, the red & yellow shirted brigades, ripoff scams, tourists becoming victims of corruption and programmes like Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand certainly has not helped.

As for Chiang Mai, the tourist industry here has been in decline for the last 7 years since the big clamp downs on the nightlife.

I doubt whether much will change in the foreseeable future and in fact things are going to get much worse before they get better.

Many businesses, such as restaurants, bars and other entertainment venues in Chiang Mai are now changing they’re tactics and aiming for the ex-pat clientele, because the revenue gained from the low percentage of tourists visiting Chiang Mai is no longer enough to sustain these businesses.