Windows 7 Hits The Market

george

Will you upgrade to WIndows 7?  

471 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have had 2 copies pre-ordered for months now.....been running various beta versions for a while now and have had no issues at all.

The new imacs that were released yesterday look the business. The 27" i7 might just be getting purchased sometime soon.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, the best OS is the one you like to use, the one who can fit your requirements. I like play games, I like to work on my computer, I like to make video editing, do graphic design on it, Windows do it all, so why I will bother with multiboot OS or emulator?

Edited by Fabdial

My friend upgrade his Samsung nc10 to win7 and battery time go down from 8 hour to 3,5-4 hour! Good reason skip this suxx product.

Wow - I had opposite experience.

I upgraded from XP - formatted & installed Win 7 trial version.

Got increased battery life, programs opened twice as fast, no memory issues, and no compatibility issues (except skype - now rectified)

Had massive problems with XP - most notebooks have issues with drivers - as a way to move people to Vista.

Also had many dramas with vista (first release, and then an upgrade) - until my laptop got stolen - then the new laptop I had to buy with Vista SP2 was fine.

My concern is that nobody in Thailand is gonna sell a registered copy.

All are pirated knock offs.

The ones who do have no idea about computers and sell them unopened from the box - so you cannot look at the laptop or use it first.

I wouldn't upgrade to win 7.

Format and get a clean version, or buy a laptop with it already installed and all drivers complete and ready.

It is an awesome OS that should make up for the twin disasters of win 2000 and vista

My friend??

I like your comment and don't kid yourself..Right now Silicon Valley has many problem with Pirate knock offs but, no one comes forward..( long time ago but, now it is a hot topic )

I am sure some company use the knock off without noticing...Right now the Sanfrancisco customs are monitoring the pirate products....

One of my friend's friend came from Hongkong trip and he brought 5 sofware CDs...the custom demanded him to pay $3500 or spend the nights in jail...take a pick?? The guy had to pay with credit cards. It was a talk of town. I warn everyone at this point??? This is a real story and it is serious in the Valley at this moment...my point and opinion.

I will be celebrating the launch of Windows 7 with my first purchase of a Mac!

Just because I own and run a car does not mean I really want to become a car mechanic. And it is the same with PCs run on Microsoft. On each occasion I acquired a new MS operating system, I inherited new problems. Old programs did not work. Had to throw out periferals because incompatible. And in the case of Vista which I had no choice but to buy as it came preloaded with the laptop. It never worked properly until I beefed up the RAM to 3Gb. And even still it leaves me with no control over what is going on in the computer.

I have since discovered that Microsoft put a lot of pressure on the computer manufacturers to sell their equipment with the software preloaded and the so-called compatibility testing was clearly fudged. Later, Microsoft had to produce some software so that people could re-install XP.

I also discovered that newer versions of MS Word did not open documents saved under older versions. I had to buy WordPerfect so as to open older Word documents, save them in the newer format before I could open them in MS Word.

OK, OK, I get the message! Stick with Microsoft and you will get screwed!

Now that Apple Mac computers are capable of running just about everything I need, including Microsoft programs, and do not suffer from the onslaught of viruses that we have come to expect with Windows based systems , I am going to treat myself to a Mac laptop.

Demps1, what are these bugs you talk off ??

History shows us "there will be some issues that need ironing out"

This is the reason all corporate customers will be 6 months or longer before they even consider OS upgrades.

I know people that jumped on Vista and regretted it.

Windows 7 does look good though. We'll see!

My friend upgrade his Samsung nc10 to win7 and battery time go down from 8 hour to 3,5-4 hour! Good reason skip this suxx product.

Got increased battery life, programs opened twice as fast, no memory issues, and no compatibility issues (except skype - now rectified)

Had massive problems with XP - most notebooks have issues with drivers - as a way to move people to Vista.

Also had many dramas with vista (first release, and then an upgrade) - until my laptop got stolen - then the new laptop I had to buy with Vista SP2 was fine.

The ones who do have no idea about computers and sell them unopened from the box - so you cannot look at the laptop or use it first.

Format and get a clean version, or buy a laptop with it already installed and all drivers complete and ready.

It is an awesome OS that should make up for the twin disasters of win 2000 and vista

My friend??

I like your comment and don't kid yourself..Right now Silicon Valley has many problem with Pirate knock offs but, no one comes forward..( long time ago but, now it is a hot topic )

I am sure some company use the knock off without noticing...Right now the Sanfrancisco customs are monitoring the pirate products....

One of my friend's friend came from Hongkong trip and he brought 5 sofware CDs...the custom demanded him to pay $3500 or spend the nights in jail...take a pick?? The guy had to pay with credit cards. It was a talk of town. I warn everyone at this point??? This is a real story and it is serious in the Valley at this moment...my point and opinion.

This is another good reason to stay away from nasty regimes that claim to support free markets and the freedom of the individual but simply like to put people in jail because they have a bootleg copy of something. In many countries it is IMPOSSIBLE to buy software or DVDs that are NOT bootleg!

I have not seen a single blue screen yet

Ive had dozens of Blue screens with win7 64bit RTM.

All hardware based though :) seems my gigabyte Mobo doesn not like the 8gb of 1066 corsair ram i also purchased, yet on the giga website they say its compatible........go figure.

I've been running W7 RC for 3 months now on Samsung NC-10 and getting 8hr battery life. It did take some effort to gather and install all the correct drivers though.

You can install a "Samsung Optimized" power plan from Samsung website (I think it's part of "Easy Battery Manager").

I think you will find that people with experience of Windows 7 will generally echo my comments

I have found that the vast majority of people that are slagging Win 7 have never even seen it, let alone installed it and used it. Or they are typical MAC/Linux trolls with nothing better to do. PC's are a tool that's it, its not a religion and not a reason to spend all your day crapping on other people's opinions. I too have been using 7 since the Beta and could not be happier with it. I laugh when I read all these trolls complaining about this that and the other.. when I did ZERO hardware upgrades to a two year old machine and it runs much faster than XP (benchmarked) and I find it much easier to move around with the repeated locations for so many functions..

If you are happy with your MAC or your NIX box, great and good for you. But until you actually install and use a product day in and day out, assuming it sucks based on a previous product by the same company you are simply painting yourself as ignorant. You might actually like the product if you open your mind.

For the record I have a MAC and run Linux on my netbook, so please spare me the flames... I also run Solaris on a web server, if you really want to talk OS comparisons...

I have not seen a single blue screen yet

Ive had dozens of Blue screens with win7 64bit RTM.

All hardware based though :) seems my gigabyte Mobo doesn not like the 8gb of 1066 corsair ram i also purchased, yet on the giga website they say its compatible........go figure.

I have an ASUS P5K, 8GB GSKILL PK 1066 DDR2, CPU Q6600 OC 3.2GHz, never got any blue screen with Windows 7 and Vista...

My friend??

This is another good reason to stay away from nasty regimes that claim to support free markets and the freedom of the individual but simply like to put people in jail because they have a bootleg copy of something. In many countries it is IMPOSSIBLE to buy software or DVDs that are NOT bootleg!

Wow?? Bootleg DVDs are all right if they can not buy the real one. But, Hackers that steal people identification is the issue that the Regime is fighing about??? 9 years ago some guy was able to steal $20,000 from my husband account. Luckily I was quick got the police, credit bereau, and the bank within one month deal. We wer off zero dollars from the obligation. Right now it takes 3-5 years to clean up the credit account.. In my case, this person was able to get only crdit card number. Immagine about SSI, bank saving, stocks and options morgage and etc... if he or she was able to wipe all the transaction from your or my home??? You and I can be homeless. Americans are living with fear when they use computers??? There are so many time trying someone to steal my banks and pay pal account That is not a freedom on the net??? I am not stupid but, I turn it in everytime. These hackers are not welcome in my personal opinion...and I stand tall....and I myself am very very happy staying in the Nasty regime society. By the way, I can flip my bird and no one kills me if I do it in other part of the world. No comment about what country???

Please note the version already being sold the last few months in Pantip was the BETA version and missing features in the RELEASED version.

Are you sure its the BETA version, ive been running the RTM for a month or two now (upgrade from RC), what is the difference between the retail and RTM version ??

RC means Release Candidate(no further bugs found yet) which comes right after Beta versions and is not released as a stable product. It may work or not.

RTM is "Released to Manufacturing" and is not a stable version either, it's like RC testing.

I suggest everybody interested to register to ZDNet's newsletters to get info from real professionals.

I always know beforehand, for example, what the next security patches will be.

Edited by elcent

I have been running 7 for about 8 weeks now. It is a genuine pre reliase copy running on a brand new very high spec quad core desktop.

I have never has so many problems with windows. Many things like Firefox, IE dont like it yet and crash regularly. Many hardware items don't have drivers yet and the older items I have like scanner and cam wont work at all. Microsofts answer to this is to buy a new one. Grrr

It will take while before it is top shelf and will keep persevering.

No, I wont go for it - I use Linux. Windoes is too expensive and slow.

Windows way to slow??? Well it depends of your computer specifications and the use you have for it. I can't wait to see linux with Adobe CS on it, if faster, I may want to switch :)

Yep, WIN is too slow, thats common knowledge and no secret.

My specs are quite high (Quadcore CPU, 4GB RAM), but thats not the point: I will get an OS which runs well on my machine, not vice versa.

And yes, Adobe CS runs on Linux (use WINE, man).

You have to emulate Adobe CS to use on Linux. I know it's much slower than with windows so I pass. The other problems are also Graphic Card driver on Linux...

I will stop this argument at this stage cos it leads nowhere...

Ubuntu Linux works well for me, so its the OS of my choice. I will definitely not donate any money to Steve Ballmer.

Pls no that Im not an M$ hater by birth but my former experiences with XP taught me to stay clear of software from Redmond.

If U are happy with ur WIN OS, so I am....peace, peace, man

What about this idea ? Any new PC should be delivered without any OS. Upon purchasing, the buyer may choose between WIN for an additional $300+ or a free Linux distro of his choice.

OF Course i will upgrade because there was a free voucher with my new PC :D

I`ll "upgrade" from VISTA 32bit to Windows 7 64bit.

I want use ALL of my 4GB RAM (and maybe add another 4GB in near future), not just 3.2GB with 32bit.

Paid for 4GB RAM so i want use all of it :)

32bit can handle just up to 3.2 GB and 64bit up to 196(!)GB

32bit was yesterday - 64bit (Win7) is the future.More and more applications will be written in 64bit.

Win7 rocks.Fast ,stable, less memory usage than Vista and nice features (Touchscreen support etc.)

What about this idea ? Any new PC should be delivered without any OS. Upon purchasing, the buyer may choose between WIN for an additional $300+ or a free Linux distro of his choice.

Godd idea but do you think the PC on sale as demonstration will be without OS too? The same problem is coming! The shop will not bother to show more than 4 identical models with different OS on it, it will be totally absurd and the shop will need to have a very big showroom if he has to do it for all computers...

The idea exist already, you can ask to be refund if you don't want the OS. But a common User will not bother to install himself the OS and will not care if it windows on it, the user need only a computer that works once he presses the "on" button.

Just a few people will think like you and it does not represent the common buyers and users who don't care really.

Edited by Fabdial

Demps1, what are these bugs you talk off ??

A lot of new products/programs have bugs "as yet to be discovered" It's up to eagle eyed punters like your good self to report them.

I'll just wait till next year and visit a torrent site and get it for nicks. Like all Thai schools and Govt. Depts do. Hey ! "When in Rome etc"

I'll be dumping windows as soon as I can - I'd rather use an untested OS like Chrome than anything form Microsoft.

Chrome is a browser, not an OS. Thanks for sharing your informed opinion with us though.

Sorry to rock your boat but Google are making an operating system called Chrome OS based on their browser! :)

Godd idea but do you think the PC on sale as demonstration will be without OS too? The same problem is coming! The shop will not bother to show more than 4 identical models with different OS on it, it will be totally absurd and the shop will need to have a very big showroom if he has to do it for all computers...

The idea exist already, you can ask to be refund if you don't want the OS. But a common User will not bother to install himself the OS and will not care if it windows on it, the user need only a computer that works once he presses the "on" button.

Just a few people will think like you and it does not represent the common buyers and users who don't care really.

I understand the problems arising, but maybe the EU commission will come to help, as it did on the browser issue, although I dont support that particular move cos any OS, incl. M$ Windows, shud be allowed to ship the browser it likes to ship.

Lets face it: If U are the average Joe using ur PC for everyday issues, any OS, incl. Linux, will do it.

The REAL FORCE ... for Productivity, Security and Performance is called "Mac OS"

i stop using windows at NT 4.0 already .. and so far it did not getting better at all until vista :)

YES!! Mac OS has always been the most stable and most reliable... It blows the mind to think that Windows dominates in numbers of users. EVERYONE has so many problems with it, yet they keep using it. Why, when there is such a superior option? I have never understood it!

Within the last month I bought an HP desktop computer which, of course, had Win Vista. To be honest, I rather like Vista, but I also realize I am coming to it long after all those bugs were worked out.

Yesterday I read quite a good article about Win7 which was mostly favorable, though not a rave. As I read it I was looking for what it has that I want that Vista doesn't have. I found little. But, I can still be convinced. So far, however, I'm just not sold...not that I have an aversion to it...and I say that knowing that I get a free upgrade of it from HP.

I purchased a 17" HP lappy 3 weeks ago at Office Depot that included a free upgrade to W7.Entered the info online and got confirmation of upgrade,which will come via a cd later this month.The free upgrade was not available with Vista Basic.

Can't decide to use it on new lappy or new pc.