Windows 7 Hits The Market

george

Will you upgrade to WIndows 7?  

471 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've tried the Windows 7 RTM and found that I can't configure it to look and feel the way I want because a few features that I use all the time are not available. If they ever make it as configurable as XP I'll probably use it, but not now.

Also, I know where everything is in XP, but when M$ bring out new operating systems, they do like to move things around for no obvious reason and give things different names which really puts me off wanting to use them.

I think you can configure it the same way you could XP?! The preferences are totally buried but...

It's true that they switched everything around for no reason at all - it's not like it makes any more sense than before.

However, compared to Windows XP, the search function now works and I found this to be a pretty good alternative. Superior, even. E.g. instead of hunting down the desktop settings - type "desktop settings" in the search box (Windows key, start typing....). I have gotten used to this way of working since OS X 10.4 a few years back - it's way faster even if you know where things are, you get results after only typing the first few letters. It's the only way I ever open programs on the Mac. And now this works in Win7, too. I have had great results. That is, anything I was looking for - I found it.

And yes, I am well aware that search was present, but not working at all in XP, and not working very well in Vista. But it seems like in W7, they finally nailed it. Search works. I'd switch to W7 for that reason alone.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yes, I am well aware that search was present, but not working at all in XP, and not working very well in Vista. But it seems like in W7, they finally nailed it. Search works. I'd switch to W7 for that reason alone.

I wouldn't. I'd just use a free third-party search utility.

I've tried the Windows 7 RTM and found that I can't configure it to look and feel the way I want because a few features that I use all the time are not available. If they ever make it as configurable as XP I'll probably use it, but not now.

Also, I know where everything is in XP, but when M$ bring out new operating systems, they do like to move things around for no obvious reason and give things different names which really puts me off wanting to use them.

I think you can configure it the same way you could XP?! The preferences are totally buried but...

It's true that they switched everything around for no reason at all - it's not like it makes any more sense than before.

<snip>

My biggest gripe is that you cannot stick toolbars on the sides or top of the screen.

In a fresh XP install, you can go to the task bar and add a new tool bar, eg. one of your folders - say "My Music" . You can then drag that onto the desktop, and then drag it on to either side or the top.

Having got the side toolbar started, you can add many more folders to the toolbar so that your most popular folders - eg. Music, Films, Photos, Documents - can be accessed just by moving the mouse over to a side. Then the folders magically expand as you hover over each folder name and sub folder name until you get to the file or folder you want.

Also, I have the Quick Launch folder on the left side, so can run everything I need from there.

I'm not sure how many people know about this feature (of the expanding folders), but I don't want to lose it by going to Win 7.

There is a lot of web talk about this missing feature, and a lot of Win 7 hacks to try to get it back.

<snip>

My biggest gripe is that you cannot stick toolbars on the sides or top of the screen.

In a fresh XP install, you can go to the task bar and add a new tool bar, eg. one of your folders - say "My Music" . You can then drag that onto the desktop, and then drag it on to either side or the top.

Having got the side toolbar started, you can add many more folders to the toolbar so that your most popular folders - eg. Music, Films, Photos, Documents - can be accessed just by moving the mouse over to a side. Then the folders magically expand as you hover over each folder name and sub folder name until you get to the file or folder you want.

Also, I have the Quick Launch folder on the left side, so can run everything I need from there.

I'm not sure how many people know about this feature (of the expanding folders), but I don't want to lose it by going to Win 7.

There is a lot of web talk about this missing feature, and a lot of Win 7 hacks to try to get it back.

You can do a bunch of similar things in win7, some more advanced than XP.

http://www.unawave.de/windows-7-tipps/fold...ar.html?lang=EN

http://gizmodo.com/5131933/giz-explains-wh...-mac-os-xs-dock

Edited by rambling

I used to use Google Desktop on XP but it was never as good as spotlight (the built in search in OS X). Yahoo seemed even worse the one time I tried it. Windows 7 search is as good as Spotlight, at least for what I am using it for. Particularly just launching applications.

Wow - that's a pretty neat trick for the taskbar folder - but I am sure this will either be in Windows soon, or there'll be a 3rd party utility that does it.

The Giz article failed to convince me that the Win 7 "superbar" is better than the Dock. It does more things but in my testing at least I found them time consuming and useless. Sure I could scroll over my open windows but that's got to be one of the slowest ways to access a window in an application. I guess I don't have a need for this maybe, I never use Expose either. I think the main issue is finding the Window you want... expose instantly produces small versions of either all open Windows, or all open windows in an app, but in order to then find the one I want I have to look at each of them which takes a long time. That's why I don't use it.

As for application start - Windows key + start typing is going to be quicker than hitting the icon in the task bar. For sure.

Wow - that's a pretty neat trick for the taskbar folder - but I am sure this will either be in Windows soon, or there'll be a 3rd party utility that does it.

The Giz article failed to convince me that the Win 7 "superbar" is better than the Dock. It does more things but in my testing at least I found them time consuming and useless. Sure I could scroll over my open windows but that's got to be one of the slowest ways to access a window in an application. I guess I don't have a need for this maybe, I never use Expose either. I think the main issue is finding the Window you want... expose instantly produces small versions of either all open Windows, or all open windows in an app, but in order to then find the one I want I have to look at each of them which takes a long time. That's why I don't use it.

As for application start - Windows key + start typing is going to be quicker than hitting the icon in the task bar. For sure.

Yes it absolutely depends on individual usage patterns. I use both Win7 and Snow Leopard, I actually like and use the Expose and also Spaces of the dock while on the other hand I like the right clicking an app in the Win7 taskbar to access recent docs and folders and pin important ones.

I have about 25 apps icons in the taskbar to start applications, covers 95% of my needs, so seldom use Win Key + Start typing for that. I do use Start + typing for search and it works very nicely just like Finder. It's the first time search actually works as it should in Windows.

At the end of the day, one should use what works best for them, but without a doubt Win7 is far better in almost any area I can think of than any other windows I've used since I got my first PC over 20 years ago.

<snip>

Yes, that's a great - but non-trivial - way to get the folder onto the task bar. And you can see to what lengths people will go in order to get that functionality back. However, it's still not on the side - where there is plenty of available space - and I don't believe the automatic opening of sub-folders works on this.

I, too, hope this will be back in Win7 soon.

I installed Win7 Professional last week and so far so good. My laptop originally came with Vista and I hated it. I downgraded to XP immediately. But I am enjoying Win7, it has so far worked flawlessly with my laptop.

:)

No...not upgrading yet....maybe when I buy my next laptop Windows 7 will be the OS of (non) choice.

I bought a laptop about a year ago and it came with Vista installed.

I never had a choice, and probably won't with the next computer either.

It works for me, and I don't see all the "problems" others complain about with Vista.

I use a third party program called System Mechanic Pro, which runs it the background, and cleans up extranous files, registry problems, intranet cookies, and so on. it is by an company called Islo, and it takes care of all of Vista oopsies. I run it at the end of every day...takes about 5 to 10 minutes...and it then lets me choose to remove all the goofs.

Defragments the hard drive(s) too. including the removeable USB drive.

I also run Norton 360, and update it at least 3 times a week.

I wouldn't run Vista without them.

Right now I don't need anything Windows 7 offers that badly...maybe with the next computer a year or so from now.

:D

I installed Windows 7 Pro OEM on a new hard drive with a clean install. It took 16 minutes, amazingly fast installation. Everything works and no driver problems.

I like Google Chrome but on the Win 7 RC and WP Pro, it crashed many times. It was too aggravating to use. I decided to try it on my new OS and am very pleased to say that I have had no crashes, YET. Whatever was causing that problem is apparently solved.

I'm using Norton Internet Security 2010 and it's also working flawlessly. I'm very happy with the new Windows and so far have no regrets.

Wow, somebody else who does that! :-)

I have a tool bar at the top of my screen that auto-hides, i.e. it only appears when I move the cursor to it, and that tool bar is a folder of shortcuts (icons only, no text) to programs that I use frequently -- kind of my personal disappearing "Dock." I will miss that smooth and easy method of access. I can't show as many programs on a Win7 taskbar, but I'll have to get over that, I guess.

The Linux users are happy and the Apple users are happy. So why bad mouth the happy Windows users? I am happy with Windows XP Pro but I have tried the RC Windows 7 and think it is great. I am no techie and had no problem installing the Windows 7 download. I do intend to buy it. People with an axe to grind can continue to berate Windows but that is up to the Microsoft haters. I too have no great love for Microsoft but when they offer a better system, I'm willing to pay for it.

Because that is all they have in their often empty lives to try to convert people to what THEY like and want regardless of what the person they are trying to convert wants to do. I have never understood the mentality to always be telling people how stupid they are for liking what they like and using the tools that work for them. Sure I can understand if a Windows user in on here bashing away and complaining about their MS experience, but it seems anytime a user that LIKES a product from MS expresses it a flashing red light and siren go off at GEEK CENTRAL and they show up on the forums to tell everybody how stupid they are for being happy with their purchase.... just like the guys that rant on about how they got off the MS express on Windows 98 and are so glad they did, so how in the world are the qualified to offer an opinion on XP, Vista or Win7? Or right they read about it, or heard about it or they are now a MAC zealot and there is a never a minute that go by without them talking about how happy they are with it. Hmmmmmmm great.. enjoy it.. would NEVER try change your mind.. so why all the energy to change mine??? Or worse why all the ten year old stories about BSOD etc..etc... simply astounding..

Edited by traderjm

Been using "Copernic Desktop Search" (free) for the past week (on xp).. pretty good. Much tidier than Google Desktop/Windows Desktop. No stupid wigets on the desktop either.

Because that is all they have in their often empty lives to try to convert people to what THEY like and want regardless of what the person they are trying to convert wants to do. I have never understood the mentality to always be telling people how stupid they are for liking what they like and using the tools that work for them. Sure I can understand if a Windows user in on here bashing away and complaining about their MS experience, but it seems anytime a user that LIKES a product from MS expresses it a flashing red light and siren go off at GEEK CENTRAL and they show up on the forums to tell everybody how stupid they are for being happy with their purchase.... just like the guys that rant on about how they got off the MS express on Windows 98 and are so glad they did, so how in the world are the qualified to offer an opinion on XP, Vista or Win7? Or right they read about it, or heard about it or they are now a MAC zealot and there is a never a minute that go by without them talking about how happy they are with it. Hmmmmmmm great.. enjoy it.. would NEVER try change your mind.. so why all the energy to change mine??? Or worse why all the ten year old stories about BSOD etc..etc... simply astounding..

I think there is one other factor...insecurity. When you are sure you are right, but 91% of the people in the world (market share) take a different view from you, you tend to get defensive.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

I paid a shop in the shopping mall 'Seacon Square' in Bangkok to put Windows 7 Ultimate on my laptop on a whim. He charged 400baht and it appears to run fine, I'm happy with it. Could anyone answer a few questions, please?

Firstly, I've obvious got a pirated copy - what drawbacks are there? what bad things might happen?

Secondly, how do I know whether it's the 32 or 64 bit version? where do I check?

Thirdly, does Windows 7 have antivirus etc? what are other people using? any good free ones around? I'm using NOD32 or somethings.

cheers

Hi Everyone,

I paid a shop in the shopping mall 'Seacon Square' in Bangkok to put Windows 7 Ultimate on my laptop on a whim. He charged 400baht and it appears to run fine, I'm happy with it. Could anyone answer a few questions, please?

Firstly, I've obvious got a pirated copy - what drawbacks are there? what bad things might happen?

Secondly, how do I know whether it's the 32 or 64 bit version? where do I check?

Thirdly, does Windows 7 have antivirus etc? what are other people using? any good free ones around? I'm using NOD32 or somethings.

cheers

There are cracked Windows 7 versions yes, but since it's such a new product, there are bound to come updates which will render these versions useless, it's just a matter of time.

Go to system information and you can see if it's 32 or 64 bit.

Windows 7 does not itself have antivirus no, Microsoft do however have a free antivirus program called Microsoft Essentials, but that will/should only work with legit versions of Windows Vista and 7. NOD32 antivirus is the preferred weapon of choice for 99.999999% of all the thai computer shops, I really don't know why, because they use some really lousy cracked version which does not detect anything. Uninstall that and install a free alternative (Avira Antivir, Avast, AVG etc)

I bought a machine 10 days ago and had 7 put on.

XP Pro was re-drafted and has been on that new machine 8 days now.

Am I impressed with that new piece of bloatware?

Aero-Glass my a#$

If you have XP stay there until another solution (replacement) comes along.

People have been saying "its Vista done well"

Since when do we measure new products from failures?

I know, I should have asked myself that ? beforehand...

3.2 GB on disc, 21.5 GB space required (min).

A lot of eye candy for those who go for that stuff.

They've added a lot of new column options in W Explorer but they suck.

15 years of Windows and they still haven't included folder size in Explorer.

I bought a machine 10 days ago and had 7 put on.

XP Pro was re-drafted and has been on that new machine 8 days now.

Am I impressed with that new piece of bloatware?

Aero-Glass my a#$

If you have XP stay there until another solution (replacement) comes along.

People have been saying "its Vista done well"

Since when do we measure new products from failures?

I know, I should have asked myself that ? beforehand...

3.2 GB on disc, 21.5 GB space required (min).

A lot of eye candy for those who go for that stuff.

They've added a lot of new column options in W Explorer but they suck.

15 years of Windows and they still haven't included folder size in Explorer.

Different strokes for different folks. I ran the evaluation copy and bought Win 7 Pro as soon as I could get it. I really don't see much eye candy? I really like Win 7 and would never consider going back to XP Pro.

I also bought another copy of Pro for my laptop. Smooth installation and smooth operation.

Thanks very much to that member 'd0ndela' for helpfully answering my questions

There are cracked Windows 7 versions yes, but since it's such a new product, there are bound to come updates which will render these versions useless, it's just a matter of time.

so, what happens when versions become useless? does the PC crash or do you mean that there will be new versions to buy?