Windows 7 Hits The Market

george

Will you upgrade to WIndows 7?  

471 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Been using RC version for 6 Months at work on a reall sucky bottom-end computer... No Problems.

Loaded RTM on my Dream Machine at home last weekend.. MINOR issues to get going.. all solved EASILY withing hours.

Windows 7 is Great.. Best O/S I've used since 3.1.

MS finally got it right!

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tested it a bit on my PC laptop - it's fine, just fine. XP with a handful of improvements, or Vista minus the suck.

Liked:

- Finally, one click connection to WiFi. That's vs 3 clicks in XP and about 10 in Vista.

- Can eject USB devices right from the task bar (safe remove). Not sure if Vista could already do that, I didn't try Vista for very long. Great improvement over XP.

- Search that works. Couldn't really believe it since this feature had been around for ages, yet never really worked. But in Windows 7, for the first time, the search box actually does what you want it to do. It just works. Huge deal for me as this was one of the major issues I had with Windows, being used to Mac OS X search which of course has always just worked. MS finally got that one right, and it's a good thing. There's only one way I ever start a program, and that's by hitting cmd-space and starting to type the application name. Now this is on Windows, Windows key and start typing. Try it, you will never go back.

Those are the things I'd expect Microsoft to improve over the years - it took an inordinate amount of time, but they're still appreciated. Little things that save time every day, the removal of obstacles in the daily workflow.

Edited by nikster

Tried Win7 beta on an old spec computer a while back that ran Win XP ok.

Ran slower than XP and some parts wouldn't work properly due to the low spec graphics card, so would have required a hardware upgrade.

Edited by katana

Anybody on VISTA should move to Windows 7 fast. Anybody happy with Windows XP should do nothing.

How true this is. In my opinion Windows XP was everything anyone could want. Easy to learn and easy to use particularly if one had to be involved in the operating system at all for networks, etc. I bought a laptop with Vista and have never really liked it as well and it is a memory hog. I will probably go to Ver 7 eventually after all the fixes are made over the next 6 to 12 months. What's the rush. My big complaint about the whole windows version upgrades is that they do very little for the average home PC or individual business PC (much of the fixes and upgrades seem more valuable to the network user). Like most upgrades they put in some new bells and whistles and then market a new product which in the end does not do much more for the user. This is true of almost any software upgrades. They get big bucks in coming out with the new version but in reality the consumer gets little. Too make matters worse for those who choose not to upgrade, Microsoft in particular will stop the support and updates for the older versions leaving the user high and dry. Microsoft wanted to stop fixes for the XP version but had to pull back when business users did not move to Vista because of problems. You can bet with Windows 7 launch that it is only now a matter of time before they stop the support for XP. I do hope someday that the free operating system Linux or something like it really takes off and we can do away with the Microsoft monoply.

Tried Win7 beta on an old spec computer a while back that ran Win XP ok.

Ran slower than XP and some parts wouldn't work properly due to the low spec graphics card, so would have required a hardware upgrade.

GOOD!!! Try to run a 286sx with Windows XP :)

What I'm doing on this forum to read this kind of things??? Better to go back to real computer users forum...

Edited by Fabdial

Within the last month I bought an HP desktop computer which, of course, had Win Vista. To be honest, I rather like Vista, but I also realize I am coming to it long after all those bugs were worked out.

Yesterday I read quite a good article about Win7 which was mostly favorable, though not a rave. As I read it I was looking for what it has that I want that Vista doesn't have. I found little. But, I can still be convinced. So far, however, I'm just not sold...not that I have an aversion to it...and I say that knowing that I get a free upgrade of it from HP.

I purchased a 17" HP lappy 3 weeks ago at Office Depot that included a free upgrade to W7.Entered the info online and got confirmation of upgrade,which will come via a cd later this month.The free upgrade was not available with Vista Basic.

Can't decide to use it on new lappy or new pc.

A <deleted> HP laptop .. now you're being hilarious ! LOL :)

Windows 7 will be launched in Thailand at Siam Paragon on 31st Oct - 1st Nov with special launch discount prices available. There is also a countdown timer outside Siam Paragon :)

www.windows7thailand.com

www.facebook.com/windows7thaifan

www.twitter.com/windows7thai

Windows 7 will be launched in Thailand at Siam Paragon on 31st Oct - 1st Nov with special launch discount prices available. There is also a countdown timer outside Siam Paragon :)

www.windows7thailand.com

A "Countdown Timer" !! My God! Now it's all getting really silly. Do you think there will be a kilometer long queue of Thai/Farang Nerds camped outside under their mosquito nets waiting for the doors to open? If there is .. I'm volunteering for the Mars Mission .. this planet has gone nuts.

www.windows7thailand.com

A "Countdown Timer" !! My God! Now it's all getting really silly. Do you think there will be a kilometer long queue of Thai/Farang Nerds camped outside under their mosquito nets waiting for the doors to open? If there is .. I'm volunteering for the Mars Mission .. this planet has gone nuts.

It was launched in Singapore today and they had a midnight sale at Funan (one the big malls). People were camping out from 3pm onwards to be the first ones to buy it at midnight. Don't underestimate the nerds!

Edited by Sir_Sanuk

GOOD!!! Try to run a 286sx with Windows XP :)

What I'm doing on this forum to read this kind of things??? Better to go back to real computer users forum...

There was an earlier thread where some users, including a mod in the computer section, reported it ran faster than Win XP when they tested it out on the same hardware.

PS try a forum to improve your English lol

My friend upgrade his Samsung nc10 to win7 and battery time go down from 8 hour to 3,5-4 hour! Good reason skip this suxx product.

That's interesting to know. I have two NC10's, the very reason I bought them was for the battery operating time, so I for one, will not be switching to Windows 7 in a hurry!

Unfortunately I still live in Washington not 30 miles from Microsoft. My migration to Thailand is set for 2011. When almost any new product rolls out it's like "Oh well..big deal" because hardly anyone I know jumps at it for a year or so. Since they are not paying us to be beta testers, why go through the grief? I'm still using XP Pro and never have any problems..which is the way I like it. Vista never attracted me..I want something that works since I am not a Geek and get frustrated when I get the 'blue screen'.

Give it a miss, and wait at least one year before using it, if they made planes the same way they release new operating systems, most of us would never make it to Thailand, wait for the most serious bugs to be worked out first, unless you have a spare pc and a cheap copy from pantip plaza of course.

:)

ps if you want software stuff pantip plazas the place to go.

Edited by MRDave

My friend upgrade his Samsung nc10 to win7 and battery time go down from 8 hour to 3,5-4 hour! Good reason skip this suxx product.

I don't believe you. Windows 7 has quite a few improvements in the area of power saving and if battery life did indeed go down then it was probably due to user error or using different power modes when he changed OS's. (Different brightness or different HD and CPU performance modes)

I've been using Windows 7 since Beta and even the Beta puts XP and Vista to shame. I originally upgraded XP to Vista Ultimate but was displeased with the performance under Vista so I went back to XP for my main machine and used Vista on my media center PC. Windows 7 is MUCH better than either OS and within a day of installing it, I knew that it had a ton of potential. I have encountered few if any bugs in the 6 months or so I've been using and from what I've seen it and it has great compatibility with older apps. I typically go 3 weeks without restarting and only then because I decided to finally install the updates. It loads faster than XP and runs game great. I highly recommend it. Windows 7 is a very polished product especially considering this is the initial release without a service pack. This is coming from someone who has worked in IT for seven years.

Yep as I never went over to Vista. But I need a 64 bit OS now as XP 32 can only address 4 GB total memory which leaves me about 3 GB after my graphics card and other bits take up 1 GB. With a 64 bit OS such as Windows 7 it can address more memory than I could possibly want in the foreseeable future and runs faster too. Now waiting for a working hacked copy to become generally available (it wont be long !) as somebody said the pucker version is way too expensive to afford in Thailand with a weak pound especially :D:) Will wait a few weeks for any obvious bugs to become apparent though

Don't blindly buy Win7 64bit and just expect it to address 4Gb or more RAM. Be sure your chipset can also handle it.

A 64bit OS doesn't necessarily guarantee you can utilise more than 3Gb RAM... on either a PC or a MAC/Linux system.

Yep as I never went over to Vista. But I need a 64 bit OS now as XP 32 can only address 4 GB total memory which leaves me about 3 GB after my graphics card and other bits take up 1 GB. With a 64 bit OS such as Windows 7 it can address more memory than I could possibly want in the foreseeable future and runs faster too. Now waiting for a working hacked copy to become generally available (it wont be long !) as somebody said the pucker version is way too expensive to afford in Thailand with a weak pound especially :D:) Will wait a few weeks for any obvious bugs to become apparent though

Don't blindly buy Win7 64bit and just expect it to address 4Gb or more RAM. Be sure your chipset can also handle it.

A 64bit OS doesn't necessarily guarantee you can utilise more than 3Gb RAM... on either a PC or a MAC/Linux system.

Replyin to this on a 4gb win7 64bit that a 32 bit only saw 2.9gb;.. 64 can defo utlilise all of the memory, problems with wifi though

What about this idea ? Any new PC should be delivered without any OS. Upon purchasing, the buyer may choose between WIN for an additional $300+ or a free Linux distro of his choice.

That's okay for you computer nerds. The average user wants Windows because it is what they are used to and they are comfortable with it. How about -- leave us alone?

If you want Ubantu or Linux, you are free to get it. Why do anti-Windows people always trying to bad-mouth what the clear majority seem to want?

just for the record i brought a samsung laptop r series from pantip last week 25k got 2gb standard and 2 extra free, borrowed a mates win7 ultimate who i know in pantip to test b4 i buy the real deal.. loaded 32 bit saw 2.9b then lucky for me the same disk had 64bit so loaded that on and saw all 4 gb..

so if you want 4gb ram 2.4 ghz dula core and 64 bit then go samsung.. there are some issues with the realtek wifi i have mentioned b4 but as i always say on pc's where there's a will there's a way.. and when i find the anwser ill post

The REAL FORCE ... for Productivity, Security and Performance is called "Mac OS"

i stop using windows at NT 4.0 already .. and so far it did not getting better at all until vista :D

I have worked with Macs at the University of New South Wales and have support the users, it is a very good programs to support, but to put Vista as a good program is sort sighted!

I still use XP and rolled out 1000 P.C's at the university, no one uses Vista on the Business Machines! :)

Voted no. Running Windows XP Professional on this three year old computer and it works just fine. I would not recommend upgrading to Windows 7 from XP. Wait until you get a new computer and at least a year from today while they get the bugs out. XP will be supported by Microsoft until April, 2014.

32bit can handle just up to 3.2 GB and 64bit up to 196(!)GB

And, with Moore's Law and all its permutations, that 196GB "limit" probably will be an issue in the not-too-distant future.

32bit can handle just up to 3.2 GB and 64bit up to 196(!)GB

And, with Moore's Law and all its permutations, that 196GB "limit" probably will be an issue in the not-too-distant future.

Who's "Moore"? Is he any relation to "Murphy"?

I'll be dumping windows as soon as I can - I'd rather use an untested OS like Chrome than anything form Microsoft.

Chrome is a browser, not an OS. Thanks for sharing your informed opinion with us though.

Chrome is also the name of the new Google OS.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/int...-chrome-os.html

Please get your info right before slagging others off. :)