Does 30 Day Visa On Arrival Apply To Arrival By Boat?

I know you only get 15 days if you arrive in Thailand through one of the land entries now, but I was planning on arriving at the port in Koh Samui by cruise ship, which would depart from USA and stop at many countries along the way. Does anybody know if you would still get 30 days this way or only 15?

Edited by ConfusedFarang

Trying to find the source, but my impression is that passengers on ships get a special visa, 30 days, and possible to extend twice by 15 days.

They will also receive a "white card" which enables them to leave Thailand by other means then the ship they came in on. Unlike the crew, which gets a 30 day non extendable transit visa, and who have to leave the same way they came, i.e. with the ship.

It is stated on following website:

http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Thailand/?rc=Formalities

Not sure how correct this is, but all other info they give checks out as per current immigration laws (prior tourist visa gives 3 months i.e. 2 months + 30 day extension, followed by land border runs giving 15 days, or entering by air giving 30 days)

VOA is indeed wrong (but then again most people call the visa free entry that way), but the site is updated August 2009 (just above the immigration office phone number), and they do state correctly that a border run gives you 15 days while arriving by air gives you 30.

A tourist visa applied for in advance will allow a stay of 3 months, after which, a brief trip out of the country (a visa run) will enable you to obtain another VOA. This will extend your stay for 15 days each time. This applies to entry via a land border. Arriving by air will entitle you to a 30 day visa.

Which doesn't mean the rest is correct, I can't find anything on the MFA site either pertaining arrival by sea...

I would advice to call immigration, and preferable Phuket or Samui immigration as they will likely have the most experience with travelers arriving by see.

Phuket: 076-221905

Samui: 077 - 236665