Satfinder Device Where To Buy In Pattaya

dsfbrit

I am lining up my Dynasat 10 foot dish to point to Intelsat 10 at 68.5 E. I used this site to work out the elevation from my garden and it is 49.7.

http://www.dishpointer.com/

Fair enough. As the dish used to be motorised and set up to cover that part of the sky, I thought it would be good fun and fairly easy to manually locate the satellite. Well my wife and I are worn out pushing this quite heavy dish up and down and trying to get a 'lock'.

So I decided today to make it easier and buy a 'satellite finder'. We went to the 2 satellite shops on the Sukhumvit and Dcom, but no luck. Does anyone know where I could get one of these in Pattaya.

Thanks for your help

I am lining up my Dynasat 10 foot dish to point to Intelsat 10 at 68.5 E. I used this site to work out the elevation from my garden and it is 49.7.

Fair enough. As the dish used to be motorised and set up to cover that part of the sky, I thought it would be good fun and fairly easy to manually locate the satellite. Well my wife and I are worn out pushing this quite heavy dish up and down and trying to get a 'lock'.

So I decided today to make it easier and buy a 'satellite finder'. We went to the 2 satellite shops on the Sukhumvit and Dcom, but no luck. Does anyone know where I could get one of these in Pattaya.

Thanks for your help

Sorry, dont know where to buy a satfinder devise but just used the website you gave.... amazing. Typed in my address in Thailand and the satellite i wanted and it gave me all the information and a from an over view of my house.

Thanks for that. :)

http://www.bkkcabletv.com/

http://www.9sats.com/product/product.detail.php?id=667

http://www.eldsat.com/index.php?cPath=41_46_48

I don't know where you can buy in Pattaya but you may find one in here and just order one.

Regards

Scotsman

Thanks for the info Scotsman. I have asked the company who provided me with some other 'kit' to send me one.

http://www.satthai.tv/2008/pro_accessories.php)

but for future reference, is eldsat any good. They do cash on delivery, have you used them yourself???

Thanks again

Thanks for your help

I have one of the these: http://www.promaxprolink.com/tvgenerators/prodig5.htm

..and for a couple beers would make a day trip from Bangkok to Pattaya to help out. I make the trip a couple times a month so not a problem. If need please PM me and I will bring.

Most of the satellite installers I have seen use the old proven method of hooking up a satellite receiver along with a small LCD screen right under the dish, and the fine tune with the built in signal strength/snr indicator of the receiver...

I don't know where you can buy in Pattaya but you may find one in here and just order one.

Regards

Scotsman

Thanks for the info Scotsman. I have asked the company who provided me with some other 'kit' to send me one.

but for future reference, is eldsat any good. They do cash on delivery, have you used them yourself???

Thanks again

I have not used eldsat but for Thailand they do cash on Delivery so it may be worth a try as you have nothing to lose, I have used www.9sats.com and they were very good all my order was posted ems.

Regards

Scotsman

Thanks for your help

I have one of the these: http://www.promaxprolink.com/tvgenerators/prodig5.htm

..and for a couple beers would make a day trip from Bangkok to Pattaya to help out. I make the trip a couple times a month so not a problem. If need please PM me and I will bring.

Thanks very much for the kind offer - but I am determined to get this thing working myself. I have spent the last 6 weeks (is it really that long) learning about lnb's, c-band, ku-band, azimuth, elevation, focal length and depth - and thats just on the satellite side of it. The additional learning about the Dreambox set-up etc... has also been another 'voyage of discovery'!!!

I am so close now - I think. The dish is at 49.7 elevation and tomorrow I will climb up on the ladder to fit the lnb. The dish is automatically skewed correctly as it was on an actuator before so was set to move along the satellite belt anyway.

One question I would like to ask - the dish is a dual lnb set-up using 2 lnb's. So one c-band lnb and the other lnb is ku-band. I was thinking of removing the dual lnb plate and fitting the scalar ring with the c band lnb only. I dont need ku-band anymore as I want to see just one satellite Intelsat (7)10 on 68.5 E.

I can work out the focal length/length depth OK, but before I do, I was wondering whether the rods that hold the lnbs in place are a different length for the dual lnb/band configuration, so will not work for just one lnb. I read somewhere that can be a problem???

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by dsfbrit

Regards

Scotsman

Thanks again

I have not used eldsat but for Thailand they do cash on Delivery so it may be worth a try as you have nothing to lose, I have used www.9sats.com and they were very good all my order was posted ems.

Regards

Scotsman

Thanks for the feedback. I got one from Satthai in the end. I needed them to send me a new image for the Dreambox, so asked them to send me a sat finder in the same email. It arrived a day later - good service. I had to go the bank and send the money first then email the receipt from the bank - that was no big deal as I had to go into town anyway. Tomorrow - saturday - I will see how well it works!!!

I needed a null modem cable as well for the Dreambox as I corrupted the image and had to boot to the serial connector - but could not find one in Pattaya at all - even Dcom did not have them - so I bought a couple of 9 ways connectors and a soldering iron and made them myself - I did not think in this day and age I would need to do that again in my lifetime!!!!

Edited by dsfbrit

Most of the satellite installers I have seen use the old proven method of hooking up a satellite receiver along with a small LCD screen right under the dish, and the fine tune with the built in signal strength/snr indicator of the receiver...

I tried that. I had a TV right next to the dish with the dreambox connected as well. I checked the coax was OK by connecting it to a sophon TV that works. The cable is OK, the dish is as the right elevation (well within half a degree - so that may be a problem!!) and I moved the lnb in and out (should be fd of 38 on the lnb I am told). Could not lock on at all. I assume the skew is taken care of automatically as the dish was automated before. I have removed the actuator as its no longer needed - and it did not work anyway!

The trouble is the dish is so tall and heavy its not easy to keep going up the ladder, fiddling with the lnb etc... and then having to adjust the dish as well. The daft thing is - I tried quickly this afternoon when the sat finder arrived and the old lnb gives a better reading than the new one - which seems to do nothing!!!

I would like to remove the dual lnb clamp and just fit the c-band lnb with its scalar ring - to remover the ku-band lnb from the equation. Its a 10 foot Samart (Dynasat) dish and I cannot find out anywhere if the poles are the same length for the dual lnb clamp as the single c-band clamp. With the dual clamp the c-band lnb is slightly offset. I could attach a picture if it would help.

Thanks for your feedback by the way - its nice to know that there are people out there willing to help. Hey I know I could get an installer to come and do this - but where is the fun in that :)

edit: the dual lnb clamp has the c-band lnb fitted without the scalar ring. This was how the installers did it 5 years ago when the dish was first installed. I have read a lot about the scalar ring etc... but cannot decide whther in the case there is a dual lnb bracket - if they are really necessary??? Does the bracket do the 'collector' job of the scalar ring - or did the installers just not bother to fit it???

Like I said before - thanks for the advice...

Edited by dsfbrit

I tried that. I had a TV right next to the dish with the dreambox connected as well.

As you have a dreambox there are easier ways of doing this (no TV or set top box at the dish) as explained in the PLi wikipedia (that is if you have PLi installed on your derambox).

You can do this with wifi and note book as this example shows;

000847_webif_zoom.jpg

Or via the old satfinder method built into all Dm boxes like this example shows (on the same wiki link above) ;

000847_satfind.png

As to learning about these great boxes pop in the Linux sub forum on here (TV) and you will see several threads on it. I am happy to help where I can as I am part of the PLI team based here in Thailand.

Have you checked your dreambox settings as far as satfind. are you set up for 68.5. what image are you using. i use pli jade 3 and has so far much information in their wiki about what you are doing. if you don't need k-band forget the lnb. in dreambox have you added the sat you want etc. you should be getting readings as you move the dish around.

good luck.

I tried that. I had a TV right next to the dish with the dreambox connected as well.

As you have a dreambox there are easier ways of doing this (no TV or set top box at the dish) as explained in the PLi wikipedia (that is if you have PLi installed on your derambox).

You can do this with wifi and note book as this example shows;

000847_webif_zoom.jpg

Or via the old satfinder method built into all Dm boxes like this example shows (on the same wiki link above) ;

000847_satfind.png

As to learning about these great boxes pop in the Linux sub forum on here (TV) and you will see several threads on it. I am happy to help where I can as I am part of the PLI team based here in Thailand.

Thanks a lot - I will pop over to that forum later today. At the moment I am using the setup supplied by the supplier of the DM500s. Their default setup uses Camd. I have read there are better options than this, but I have bought a 3 month subscription from them - so decided it was better to work with their setup to learn the Dreambox for now.

I actually connected the Dreambox to my old UBC offset dish to 'fiddle around' with it and get to know the Dreambox - cos I knew that was set up correctly - and I used the settings in 'satellites.xml' for 78.5 E and got a lock without any problems at all.

So its my C-band and 68.5 E setup that I need to improve. I narrowed satellites.xml to just the 2 satellites I am playing with 78.5e for UBC (just for testing connections and learn about the Dreambox) and 68.5E for Multichoice.

I have this morning removed the dual lnb connector and fitted the C-band lnb and scalar ring as it should be fitted - or as all the forums and advice searches have shown anyway.

So heres hoping!!!

Thanks again for your feedback

Edited by dsfbrit

Have you checked your dreambox settings as far as satfind. are you set up for 68.5. what image are you using. i use pli jade 3 and has so far much information in their wiki about what you are doing. if you don't need k-band forget the lnb. in dreambox have you added the sat you want etc. you should be getting readings as you move the dish around.

good luck.

I am using Camd image at the moment - its the default provided by the supplier. As I mentioned in the post above, I thought it better to use this for now as its the image supplied by the supplier of the subscription I have bought for 3 months.

The ku-band lnb is now sitting on the grass in the garden! I fitted the scalar ring and c-band lnb in its place instead of the dual lnb bracket. The Focal length for my dish should be 115.8 cm and focal depth 38. I have measured the focal length and it seems a bit more than this with the scalar ring fitted - so it makes me wonder if the 4 frame supports are a bit longer for the dual lnb bracket???

Anyway - I am off to try and find that satellite - my wife is in control of the 'sat meter' -so should be lots of bickering about the settings :)

Thanks for the feedback

I have this morning removed the dual lnb connector and fitted the C-band lnb and scalar ring as it should be fitted - or as all the forums and advice searches have shown anyway.

The reason they do not use scalar rings on the c band is ;

1. to big to fit on the plate with the ku band lnb and its scalar ring

2. the c band signals are so strong here there is little user difference (the poster above with his promax will see about a 3dbu difference though on his explorer) and the black boot has nothing to do with this

So when it comes to tuning the dish there is little difference on a 3.2m dish with or without the scalar ring.

The LNB skew does make a big difference though. You will see on on the very top of most C band LNB's an angle setting 30 0 30 and you should have it set simular to this ..

CKU8.jpg

good luck

EDIT: typo

Edited by joncl

The reason they do not use scalar rings on the c band is ;

1. to big to fit on the plate with the ku band lnb and its scalar ring

2. the c band signals are so strong here there is little user difference (the poster above with his promax will see about a 3dbu difference though on his explorer) and the black boot has nothing to do with this

So when it comes to tuning the dish there is little difference on a 3.2m dish with or without the scalar ring.

The LNB skew does make a big difference though. You will see on on the very top of most C band LNB's an angle setting 30 0 30 and you should have it set simular to this ..

CKU8.jpg

good luck

EDIT: typo

Thanks for confirming what I thought was the logical reason for the scalar ring not being fitted. It removes one area of doubt. I tried to connect the lnb today and had a problem as the adjustor I am using started slipping. A bit dangerous on this dish which is on a tall pole - so I will buy a new 'bolt' on Monday. The adjustor I mean is the elevation adjustor - in fact I was using the old 'dead' actuator and just sliding it up and down in its old bracket manually!!! A bodge up that needs sorting out. The dish is hard to move about standing on a ladder.

The lnb I have is a a PSI lnb - the shop in Pattaya did not have any Dynasat lnb's - and just to make it more fun - goes from 270 degrees. The old Dynsat lnb looks as you have described. I believe the 270 degrees becomes the '0' in this case. I will attach a picture over the next few days of the dish etc...and the lnb.

Thanks again for the help.

Edit: just one thought - as the dish is 'skewed' already as it was originally motorised should the lnb still be fitted with the '0' at horizontal.

just one thought - as the dish is 'skewed' already as it was originally motorised should the lnb still be fitted with the '0' at horizontal.

Yes indeed it should be.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will double check this before I try again to retune. Its odd that I briefly tried the old lnb today and the signal meter was higher - 7 compared to 5 on some readings. The old lnb may be more useful than the new one!! I would buy a Dynasat if I were to buy an lnb today - the same as the old one - that would remove one area of possible problems. When I bought this lnb a few weeks ago, I did not realise the setting up of a satellite was so 'delicate'.

I looked at the Web interface for Pli and it looks very good. I will investigate that further.

Edited by dsfbrit

Its odd that I briefly tried the old lnb today and the signal meter was higher - 7 compared to 5 on some readings.

IMHO satfinders here are a waste of time and energy where as a wifi connection to your DM boxes web interface on your notebook or a tv and your DM box are 100% better tuned to 3716 - V - 20600. That is why most installers do not use satfinders (I guess yours is configured for Thailand as per its user manual).

just one thought - as the dish is 'skewed' already as it was originally motorised should the lnb still be fitted with the '0' at horizontal.

Yes indeed it should be.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will double check this before I try again to retune. Its odd that I briefly tried the old lnb today and the signal meter was higher - 7 compared to 5 on some readings. The old lnb may be more useful than the new one!! I would buy a Dynasat if I were to buy an lnb today - the same as the old one - that would remove one area of possible problems. When I bought this lnb a few weeks ago, I did not realise the setting up of a satellite was so 'delicate'.

I looked at the Web interface for Pli and it looks very good. I will investigate that further.

The problem with a dynasat dish is that using a different make of LNB can cause you extra problems for you with its fitting and some makes just don't fit at all. I have the same Dish and both my LNB's were struck by lighting last year so I used this web shopping site to buy my LNB's http://www.9sats.com/product/product.detai...t=54&id=274 As you said it easy to pay using the bangkok bank and they will send it EMS with a tracking Number very Quickly. I hope this can help you and that you get your Sat Dish working soon.

Regards

Scotsman

Its working :)

I fitted a new adjustor rod I made in place of the actuator so I could make small adjustments. I wonderered what had happened when the TV had a load more info on it - it was 'lock' - an exciting moment indeed!!!

The Satfinder was some use, but the 'beeping' from the meter was at its highest when the TV said 'lock' - so I guess I would have got that info anyway.

Just got to fiddle a little bit more as some channels have pixelation - but most channels are working fine.

Thanks for your help and advice...