Cannot Stop Drinking? Mai Pen Rai.

philo

I am sober on my 24th day and feel like shit.

I have been reading the '50'- and '100' reasons to get/stay sober threads. Good, but to me it taste too much 'Boy Scout Manual', YMCA, mommy's best boy, 'How to become a decent person' etc. In my world a low bottom drunk has only one reason to sober up: Not to die (you can may be add not to go to jail or asylum). While pissed, moral teaching has no relevance to the drunk. 'Good' arguments is therefore a waste on people who are chronically drunk. They will not enter your thinking before you are sober, and hence in my opinion are only useful for people who are already sober. (Fuc# the unclair logic, let's get to the point).

Here - in this marvel of academic opera - is the solution for the up to now incurable drunk:

Quote:

Apart from the aforementioned alternatives used to stop the alcohol

use, one option which is rarely mentioned is promotion of activities beneficial to

treatment as some reports find that some activities can help stimulate the secretion of

serotonin in the brain, for instance, shopping. If the feeling is carefully observed, it is

obvious that most people feel good when going out shopping. Shopping creates

pleasant feeling in which depressed persons are soothed unknowingly. As a result,

persons who is trying to quit alcohol and feel little depressed should try this

recommendation. For those who are not quite in good economic condition, other

alternatives would be better, otherwise, shopping might cause them to bankrupt and

worse depression.

End quote.

I fall on my knees, kissing the ground of this amazing country and praising it's marvelous brains. Why didn't I raise from my hospital bed and went shopping?

I understand both suggestions, May I add...Sunflower Seeds !..lol. I am going on 10 days straight....after 5 days detox recovery I finally was able to get up and go out shopping a little and it did feel good....I discovered a new craving that helps with the old...sunflower seeds. I also recently quit chewing tobbaco so that may be part of it, but i went to the chiangmai markets and bought loads of seeds and enjoy them...ate 1kilo in 3 days. I want to start excersize soon, my ultimate goal is to return to playing Tennis....most enjoyable excersize sport I ever did, I may try soon. Keeep going Philo...when you settle here in Chiangmai maybe we can meet up , I still need to go to my first AA meeting, I will. ps. I bought AIS 3g internet service yesterday and it is great! can do more on internet now......cheers

Good on you speicher.

10 days is more than enough time to know that you are relly sober, and if you now can appreciate life sober, you are a lucky man.

I myself get more and more stressed, agitated, angry and generally desperate for every sober day. The depressing thought of life's meaninglessness follows me everywhere I go.

I went off Valium the 19th but started again (only 5 mg) the 24th just to prevent the kettle from exploding before I have seen the doctor on the 30th.

Today I will go to the park meeting 9 AM for the first time. As I will be new there I will be given ample time to rid me of some shit and get some relief for a few hours.

There is a profound principle in the Theory of Mathematical Optimization stating that the best (optimal) solution to a given maximization problem can not have it's value reduced by the introduction of new information (you can always discard the new information and keep the 'old' solution you already had before the new information was gathered). But new information can make you reformulate your optimization problem, and this new problem can have a solution that is better than the 'old' one.

From which logically follows: Get your fuc#ing ass to a meeting - you have nothing to lose.

I myself get more and more stressed, agitated, angry and generally desperate for every sober day. The depressing thought of life's meaninglessness follows me everywhere I go.

Hi Philo, me again. I said it before and i'm gonna say it again, these feelings WILL pass. Maybe not tomorow, or the next day, or next week, but they will for sure.

I think what you need now is some structure to your day. Difficult i know in a country where its difficult for farangs to work.

Maybe a swim & a gym visit?

I'm only slightly younger than you and up till a year ago i was managing to find the time to get to the gym just 1 hour a week, it should have been 2 or 3 x 1 hr visits. However, i can tell you that after a few months i definately started to feel good. I wish i had the time to start going again right now.

samuibeachcomber and Lancashirelad

I know some kind of physical exercise helps many (to be honest it is also suggested in the article cited above with the 'shopping tip'). After too many years sitting on my ass drinking and smoking, I will start with a bicycle. I have never been to a gym (as an adult), and can wait a week or a month more.

Even if I have a car (my wife's) and am sober, I usually walk instead of driving. But in spite of being sober, I often walk like a drunk (especially when I am tired). Backpackers and middle aged women sometimes walk in big circles to avoid me. It's funny what we don't know while still 'drunk and happy' (see ataxia).

8.30 AM today it is 4 weeks since my last drink. Amazing! (read my first post in the 'Liver Condition' thread).

Edited by philo

NO ALLRIGHT,...i'm not in Chaiyaphum at the moment,..but all i'm saying is,...my missus is chaiyaphum....i lived theier for about 5 years...unfortuneately ,,,.she is still, married to me (poor girl)...and if anyone gets to know her.....she is an angel......ANGEL...............ANGEL,....I LOVE HER!!!!BUT I ALSO...LOVE KIND PEOPLE.....CONT'D...

Edited by dee123