Apartment Bond Warnings

missoz1

Hi guys, Im searching and searching (been at it for 2 days) for a monthly rental apartment in the Phayathai area for a stay of a month, more than likely 2, from mid November.

I've been searching mrroomfinder (great site) and others where there's plenty to choose from in my budget of under 10,000 a month.

I stumbled across a site 9apartment.com which gives warnings of scams etc, etc.

I'm now worried about being caught up in a rental bond scam.

Could someone please guide me to a respectable apartment around the Phayathai/Ratchathewi areas, close to skytrain.

Im not after anything flash, just a clean room with bed, bathroom, some furniture and a window or two.

I would also be interested in a hotel within my budget.

Thanks guys, I thought I was powering along with my research until I found these warnings.

Cheers

Hi guys, Im searching and searching (been at it for 2 days) for a monthly rental apartment in the Phayathai area for a stay of a month, more than likely 2, from mid November.

I've been searching mrroomfinder (great site) and others where there's plenty to choose from in my budget of under 10,000 a month.

I stumbled across a site 9apartment.com which gives warnings of scams etc, etc.

I'm now worried about being caught up in a rental bond scam.

Could someone please guide me to a respectable apartment around the Phayathai/Ratchathewi areas, close to skytrain.

Im not after anything flash, just a clean room with bed, bathroom, some furniture and a window or two.

I would also be interested in a hotel within my budget.

Thanks guys, I thought I was powering along with my research until I found these warnings.

Cheers

LOL... theres been 140 interested folk take a sticky beak at my post but not one reply...

maybe I should have posted about the price of eggs....lol... thanks guys

look at VP tower, I stayed there before, back and forwards between here and the PI, they looked after my stuff, and got the rental back on the apartment, I paid 11k per month, close to BTS and close to lots of places to eat, great location, clean and reliable

Thanks, have talked with VP tower, sounds good to me.

They say they have NO Deluxe room with a view available.

Any ideas what the Deluxe rooms without a view are like???

I have emailed VP for advise on this but have not got a reply..

Thanks again.

I've never even heard of a rental bond scam. What's that?

"rental bond scam" is my terminology for a scam where you pay the apartment a "bond" or "deposit" of one or two months rent in advance. This bond or deposit is re-paid back to you upon completion of your stay.

Schemers will attempt to keep the bond/deposit by doing a thorough check of your apartment and if they find scratches, marks, dents, rips (which were already there in the first place) then they charge you to fix the problems at "falang" rates... Ive read stories about being charged 1000baht for a double bed sheet that was stained, 3000baht to paint a wall that had marks, and one guy reckons he lost 20000baht deposit as they found small holes in fly screens, a small rip in the mattress, marks on his walls and various other things he claims were all there when he moved in.

The trick of course is do a thorough inventory check for damages already there to the apartment, with the manager before you hand over the cash. Id even take photos of every mark, rip, tear, stain, with the manager watching me, but I somehow don't think this would even help if and when you bumped into a real asshol_e.