Were You A Dishy Young Man (when Under 25)?

Jingthing

Were you a dishy young man (when under 25)?  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not sure I was dishy, but my mother always said I was handsome. Sometimes when I'm walking in the city late at night, random women (?) will add their confirmations to my mother's unsolicited view. I'm trying to not let it all go to my head.

Edited by lannarebirth

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 24 now and recently emerged from nerdity, so I guess I feel 'dishy' now (omg that word is so obviously British). Until just a couple years ago I was very akward and lanky and I think that detracted from my attractiveness. So the next 6 years will probably be my best, and then I'll start balding. Farang usually all look old to the Thais- even 18 year old backpackers will be mistaken for 30.

Enjoy your time under the dishy :) sun. Dishy British? I suppose so, being as I come from New Joiseyshire :D , innit?

You're from NJ? I'm from the northwest, so I guess we don't have the linguistic remnants of the Crown like you do back on the east coast. :D

I'm 24 now and recently emerged from nerdity, so I guess I feel 'dishy' now (omg that word is so obviously British). Until just a couple years ago I was very akward and lanky and I think that detracted from my attractiveness. So the next 6 years will probably be my best, and then I'll start balding. Farang usually all look old to the Thais- even 18 year old backpackers will be mistaken for 30.

Enjoy your time under the dishy :) sun. Dishy British? I suppose so, being as I come from New Joiseyshire :D , innit?

You're from NJ? I'm from the northwest, so I guess we don't have the linguistic remnants of the Crown like you do back on the east coast. :D

NW? You mean like British Columbia? I spent a year there one fortnight.

I lied. I am not really from New Jersey. You are correct, dishy is mostly a British usage word. I find it camp so I like it. Do Americans still say what's the dish (another meaning)?

Edited by Jingthing

Dishy is mostly a British word, Jingthing? I respectfully disagree. I hear it in the states, and I knew from the beginning what you meant. Of course Dishy is not used by me that much because I prefer the much cooler word "schwanky". :D As for "what's the dish" I think that is a bit 'old school'...like "how you doing daddy-o" kind of 'old school'.

I also think what would be helpful Mr. Jingthing if you posted pictures of 25 and under celebrities which epitomize your definition of what dishy is. I can say I have no idea what kind of men gay men would like so I am a bit curious. Take a cue from the ladies forum...I mean they have a new 'hot guy' picture thread every 72 hours (I think SBK may be behind all of it :) ).

And Scott, thank you for the kind words!!

I still think dishy when used as an attractive young man is mostly British. That doesn't mean that Americans don't sometimes use it:

dish·y

adj. dish·i·er, dish·i·est

1. Slang Gossipy; sensational: published a dishy tell-all.

2. Chiefly British Slang Good-looking; attractive.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dishy

Regarding pictures, I don't think its cool for us to post many pictures of private people, so I wouldn't expect that here. Not all gay men or all women are going to agree whether a particular young man is dishy or not, although I do contend as a rough generality that the aesthetics of western gay men vs. women regarding male beauty do differ. Of course, there are also cultural differences that are beyond the scope here.

That said, I reckon most gay men would find the tragically dead River Phoenix (born with the name River Jude Bottom, how gay is that?) quite dishy.

post-37101-1257315413_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

I remember the day I heard he died. I was in my first year of college, and the then GF was a huge fan of his, not just because of his acting, but because she was a vegetarian and he was a vegan. It was a shock how someone who supposedly lived such a clean life could die of drugs. I thought he was a good actor, asides from the looks department. What a waste of a very fine actor. However, Mr. Jingthing, while the photo is at age 25, if he were alive he would be old like me!!! Anyone current?

I *think* that what Submaniac is saying, more gently, is that your tastes may not prove altogether... universal. Especially as it might not be *entirely* clear to the JT-dishy-uninitiated exactly why you chose the photo of him which you said was dishy, and not the other photos. I will go ahead and volunteer as one of the people who don't understand exactly what is more appealing about the photo you chose compared to the one of him at age 22, for instance.

SO, he's trying to understand what you mean by dishy on very little data, and pointing out that if you provided examples- for instance, through the device of links to the scads of photos of attractive famous people already online on other webpages- we might have more of an idea. Only one example is really not enough (and actually, though he was not unattractive, I must confess that River Phoenix does not jump into my mind as one of the more generally attractive male actors of the last generation or so- but it doesn't bother me if other people disagree, nor do I suggest that my standards are universal...)

:)

I *think* that what Submaniac is saying, more gently, is that your tastes may not prove altogether... universal.

Correct. Perhaps you didn't read my previous post. It is not at all the same as saying that we all have the same taste. Of course we don't. I won't be posting any more pictures, one was enough, thank you, but others are most welcome to play.

Not all gay men or all women are going to agree whether a particular young man is dishy or not, although I do contend as a rough generality that the aesthetics of western gay men vs. women regarding male beauty do differ.
Edited by Jingthing

Then you have all the kinds of guys who like different types of people than the media wants them to- and who are almost ashamed of this because they are not 'supposed' to like those things.

One of the things that I bought my Thai friend was some whitening cream. I joked with him, wondering where I can get some cream to make me look Thai. :)

I've always had a decent face but I'm normally varying degrees of chubby. I looked my best from 28-32 when I was on a weight-lifting/fitness craze. I just started working out again, having decided to get back into shape for next year's trip to Thailand.

4146_1148332181217_1014940295_30459174_2064757_s.jpg

4146_1148332021213_1014940295_30459173_7976683_s.jpg

^I would guess this look is a bit 'butch' for JT-style dishy, Malomker, but I'll go for 'hunky' instead! Keep up the return to exercise; it's good for you whether it really matters for your appearance or not.

^^Awwww, Jingy, no matter how hard I try to tease you, you always take everything so seriously.... :D:) It's very endearing.

^I would guess this look is a bit 'butch' for JT-style dishy, Malomker, but I'll go for 'hunky' instead! Keep up the return to exercise; it's good for you whether it really matters for your appearance or not.

^^Awwww, Jingy, no matter how hard I try to tease you, you always take everything so seriously.... :D:) It's very endearing.

So that's what you are up to, teasing? OK, I get it now.

Yeah that guy ain't dishy, satisfied? The dishmeister has spoken.

And here's some proof that mere youth does not equal dishiness:

post-37101-1257364032.jpg

Next post, Teacher dude asks for his phone number ...

Edited by Jingthing

And here's some proof that mere youth does not equal dishiness:

post-37101-1257364032.jpg

Next post, Teacher dude asks for his phone number ...

Un jour vous serez un cygne. :)

Ok Mr. JT, I was hoping that you would start a 'dishy guys' picture thread. So I could photobomb it with pictures of David Hasselhoff like I did in the "hunky guys" thread in the ladies' forum. Apparently you did not take the bait..........................

749134-david_hasselhoff_super.jpg

......too bad I'm going to do it anyways. :D