ความอกตัญญู

Neeranam

ความอกตัญญู - kwaam à-gà-dtan-yoo

I see this word translated in a couple of online dictionaries as 'gratitude'.

Can anyone offer some situations or examples where it is used. I've heard it used by Thai Buddhist monks and feel I'm missing something.

Could it be gratitude to do with some karmic event? Is it more than 'gratitude'?

ความอกตัญญู - kwaam à-gà-dtan-yoo

I see this word translated in a couple of online dictionaries as 'gratitude'.

Can anyone offer some situations or examples where it is used. I've heard it used by Thai Buddhist monks and feel I'm missing something.

Could it be gratitude to do with some karmic event? Is it more than 'gratitude'?

Lexitron has this as the opposite meaning - 'lack of gratitude'

อกตัญญู

[ADJ] ungrateful S.อกตัญญุตา, เนรคุณ A.รู้คุณ Ex. ผมถูกกล่าวหาว่าเป็นคนอกตัญญู

[V] be ungrateful; lack of gratitude S.อกตัญญุตา, เนรคุณ A.รู้คุณ Ex. เขาอตัญญูต่อผู้มีพระคุณ ไม่มีวันเจริญได้แน่

(NECTEC Lexitron 2 TH-EN)

(I notice the second example has the word incorrectly spelt, so maybe this isn't a great source)

Edited by SoftWater

From the "Dictionary of Dharma", pages 67 - 68

[29] บุคคลหาได้ยาก 2 (Dullabha-puggala: rare persons)

1. บุพการี (ผู้ทำ อุปการะก่อน, ผู้ทำ ความดีหรือทำ ประโยชน์ให้แต่ต้นโดยไม่ต้องคอยคิดถึงผล

ตอบแทน — Pubbakàrã: one who is first to do a favour; previous benefactor; ready

benefactor)

2. กตัญญูกตเวที (ผู้รู้อุปการะที่เขาทำ แล้วและตอบแทน, ผู้รู้จักคุณค่าแห่งการกระทำ ดีของผู้

อื่น และแสดงออกเพื่อบูชาความดีนั้น — Kata¤¤åkatavedã: one who is grateful and

repays the done favour; grateful person)

From the "Dictionary of Dharma", pages 67 - 68

[29] บุคคลหาได้ยาก 2 (Dullabha-puggala: rare persons)

1. บุพการี (ผู้ทำ อุปการะก่อน, ผู้ทำ ความดีหรือทำ ประโยชน์ให้แต่ต้นโดยไม่ต้องคอยคิดถึงผล

ตอบแทน — Pubbakàrã: one who is first to do a favour; previous benefactor; ready

benefactor)

2. กตัญญูกตเวที (ผู้รู้อุปการะที่เขาทำ แล้วและตอบแทน, ผู้รู้จักคุณค่าแห่งการกระทำ ดีของผู้

อื่น และแสดงออกเพื่อบูชาความดีนั้น — Kata¤¤åkatavedã: one who is grateful and

repays the done favour; grateful person)

Excellent.

Coincidentally, I got this email today

สวัสดีครับ/ค่ะ นักกิจกรรมกรีนพีซ

เครื่องหมายของคนดี ‎คือ....ความกตัญญูกตเวที

ลอยกระทงนี้.......มาร่วมแสดงความกตัญญูต่อสายน้ำของเรากันเถอะ

ขอเชิญท่านและลูกหลานของท่านเข้าร่วมงาน "กตัญญูต่อสายน้ำ ร่วมปกป้องเจ้าพระยา" กับกรีนพีซและ เมืองโบราณ ในเทศกาลวันลอยกระทงปีนี้ ในวันที่ 1 และ 2 พฤศจิกายน 2552 เมืองโบราณ จังหวัดสมุทรปราการ

กิจกรรม หลักภายในงานประกอบด้วย นิทรรศการสถานการณ์คุณภาพน้ำ ปัญหามลพิษทางน้ำในปัจจุบัน และวิธีการร่วมอนุรักษ์ปกป้องแหล่งน้ำที่คุณทำได้ อาทิ การใช้วัสดุที่เป็นมิตรต่อสิ่งแวดล้อม และนิทรรศการให้ความรู้เกี่ยวกับวิถีชีวิตลุ่มน้ำเจ้าพระยา กสิกรรมธรรมชาติ และอื่นๆ ตลอดทั้งสองวัน พร้อมร่วมฟังเสวนาในหัวข้อ “แก้วิกฤติการท่องเที่ยวด้วยปรัชญาเศรษฐกิจพอเพียง” ในวันที่ 1 พฤศจิกายน เวลา 13.00-16.00 น. โดยวิทยากรผู้ทรงคุณวุฒิหลายท่าน

ทั้งนี้ กรีนพีซกำลังอยู่ระหว่างการสร้างเครือข่ายหน่วยศึกษาและเฝ้าระวังมลพิษทาง น้ำ (Water patrol) ในจังหวัดสมุทรปราการเพื่อร่วมศึกษาและรณรงค์แก้ปัญหามลพิษทางน้ำอย่างจริง จังในปีหน้า โดยจังหวัดสมุทรปราการเป็นจังหวัดที่กำลังประสบปัญหามลพิษทางน้ำที่รุนแรง ที่สุดในลุ่มน้ำเจ้าพระยา ซึ่งปัญหาหลักมาจากน้ำทิ้งจากโรงงานอุตสาหกรรมที่มีอยู่อย่างหนาแน่นและการ ขาดการจัดการและควบคุมที่ดี

ท่านสามารถเข้าร่วมกิจกรรม"กตัญญูต่อสายน้ำ ร่วมปกป้องเจ้าพระยา" กับกรีนพีซและเมืองโบราณได้โดย สามารถแจ้งความประสงค์ขอเข้าร่วมงานที่ คุณสันติ ยิ่งแก้ว โทร 02-357-1921 ต่อ 120 หรือ 140 ในวันและเวลาราชการ ภายในวันพฤหัสบดีที่ 29 ตุลาคม 2552

มาร่วมแสดงความกตัญญูต่อสายน้ำกับผมนะครับ

พลาย ภิรมย์

ผู้ประสานงานรณรงค์ด้านสารพิษ

กรีนพีซ เอเชียตะวันออกเฉียงใต้

Dear Greenpeace activist,

Gratitude: The symbol of good men (or women)

This Loy Krathong, let’s show our gratitude to our water together.

Greenpeace Southeast Asia and Ancient Siam invite you and your family to join our “Protect Chaophraya Now!” event on 1st / 2nd November 2009 at Ancient City, Samutprakarn province.

There will be activities both days but highlights include an exhibition about the quality of our water and the causes of water pollution. We’ll outline things you can do to protect our water sources plus provide an insight into life along the Chaophraya river and natural agriculture, etc.

On Thursday 1st November (1-4pm) come and join a panel of experts and take part in a discussion on how we can solve the tourism crisis with a more sustainable economy.

If you’d like to join the “Protect Chaophraya Now!” event please call Santi on 02-357-1921 ext 120 or 140 (between 10am and 6pm) before 29 October 2009.

I look forward to seeing you there and together showing our gratitude to water,

Ply Pirom

Toxic Campaigner

Greenpeace Southeast Asia

• 4 weeks later...

Ingratitude = อกตัญญูความ

Thanks = ความกตัญญู

กตเวทิตา = gratitude; thankfulness; appreciation; gratefulness >>> ga dta waeh thi dtaa

กตัญญูรู้คุณ = gratefulness, gratitude, sense of obligation >>> ga dtan yuu ruu khoon

ความกตัญญู ... khwaam ga dtan yuu = gratitude

ความรู้คุณ ..... khwaam ruu khoon = gratitude

อนุโมทนา .... a noo mo:h tha naa = to express gratitude to; to say "amen" to; to rejoice with