Exercise Ideas In Jomtien/pattaya

simon43

When I lived in north Phuket I could cycle from the airport to the island bridge and back - 30kms and all on deserted village roads.

Now that I live in Jomtien/Pattaya, the exercise options seem more restricted.

It doesn't seem possible to cycle along the beaches - too many vehicles and too many obstructions.

I tried jogging along Jomtien Beach in the early morning. I ran quite fast due to the number of ladyboys who decided to follow me :)

I cannot imagine jogging/walking with a walkman - I feel the need to keep my wits and hearing about me at all times to avoid ladyboys or muggers coming up behind me..

This is certainly not a peaceful place to exercise!

I simply want to keep my body in reasonable condition, and enjoy the exercise in the process.

Any ideas what sort of outdoor exercise is possible in Jomtien/Pattaya on a daily basis, without the need to travel to a gym etc.

I'm open to all ideas :D

With luck, I can move back to Phuket next year when I've saved some money from my job, but I'm stuck in Jomtien/Pattaya meanwhile.

Simon

Simon

I was about to make a sarcastic reply to your question when I noticed you are a venerable member. Number 174! :D

In almost all of your recent posts, you bemoan your fate in having ended up in Pattaya. The fact that you've posted in the Pattaya forum seems to have escaped you. :)

I wish you a speedy return to Phuket.

On the mountain, actually the whole mountain that is opposite Manhattans is one big exercise park, and they have recently opened a huge new section with heaps of equipment - all for free and every day at 5pm they close the roads for the hundreds of people that jog around the full circle of the mountain.

Edited by THEPARTYSHOP

When I lived in north Phuket I could cycle from the airport to the island bridge and back - 30kms and all on deserted village roads.

Now that I live in Jomtien/Pattaya, the exercise options seem more restricted.

It doesn't seem possible to cycle along the beaches - too many vehicles and too many obstructions.

I tried jogging along Jomtien Beach in the early morning. I ran quite fast due to the number of ladyboys who decided to follow me :)

I cannot imagine jogging/walking with a walkman - I feel the need to keep my wits and hearing about me at all times to avoid ladyboys or muggers coming up behind me..

This is certainly not a peaceful place to exercise!

I simply want to keep my body in reasonable condition, and enjoy the exercise in the process.

Any ideas what sort of outdoor exercise is possible in Jomtien/Pattaya on a daily basis, without the need to travel to a gym etc.

I'm open to all ideas :D

With luck, I can move back to Phuket next year when I've saved some money from my job, but I'm stuck in Jomtien/Pattaya meanwhile.

Simon

Khun Simon,

Ok, so Phuket's better than Pattaya- that's fine, if that's what you think (and good luck saving up to get back)... But in my experience, both cycling and jogging on Jomtien Beach Rd. are absolutely no problem... most of the time. I ride my bike whenever I like, and take long walks anytime, too. Ok- maybe jogging along parts of the (nearly deserted) Beach Rd. between 11:00 pm and dawn can be a bit exciting, katoey-wise, but they're not trying to hurt you, bud- they just wanna make friends!! You know, meet new people from new places (like Phuket!); expand their horizons! And muggers?? we don' need no stinkin' muggers... not here in Jomtien. Not many of those around here. What you talking about, Willis??

But, I digress...

So, anyway: mai pen rai, krap. While you're still here, I hope you can overcome your fear of Jomtien Beach Road; hang in there, be brave! Put that walkman back on, and crank it up! And keep your wits about you... sure! Just like you would anywhere!

Actually... many, many people successfully cycle and jog all up & down Jomtien Beach Road every day of the year! And, thank goodness, most of them make it home (to Phuket... or wherever) to tell the story. Good luck to you.

I am thinking of early morning along Dongtan Beach then up one of the various sois to Pratamnak Road and back down to Dongtan. Usually you will encounter limited traffic with only a few lunatics. :)

Edited by salty

I see a few people jogging, cycling, etc. up and down the south end of the new releif road along side the railwaytracks, from Khao Talow to the Huay Yai end. There is also an excersise park with various bits of equipment at the side of this road next to the Khao Mahkok turn off - about 1.5 km south of Chaiyapruek 2 on the southbound side.

Simon

If you're into cycling, the roads over on the 'Dark Side' of Pattaya / Jompthien are pretty quiet once you get a couple of km east of Sukhumvit. The only problem is that getting across Suk can be a bit hairy - some crossing points are better than others.

If you cycle along Jompthien Beach Road to the police box, near Yorkie's pie and sausage emporium, you can then cycle up Chaipreuk to Suk, where the crossing is straightforward. Once on the 'Dark Side' the world is your oyster, so to speak. Many miles of quiet country roads to choose from. Traffic is no trouble as you won't find much - the poor condition of the roads can be a bit of a problem, especially now that the heavy rains have damaged them more than usual. The occasional dog will chase you but normally only for a bit of fun.

There is an almost total lack of reliable maps, once you get east of Suk and those that do exist tend to be more like 'artist's impressions' than the real thing. You may, therefore, tend to get a bit lost initially - in the sense of not knowing just where you are. I find that Google Maps is of limited use as it doesn't differentiate between 'proper' roads and sand tracks - apart from main routes like Sukhumvit. The tracks often only lead to someone's shack - usually with a large dog in attendance - so need to be used with caution.

I live out on Soi Khaotalo and have been cycling the 'Dark Side' now for a couple of years with no real issues. I have a variety of circular routes ranging from about 20km (Charknork Reservoir) to 50km (Khao Chi Chan), with an occasional longer excursion when the weather is right for it. I made it down to Ban Chang beach one day but that's about the furthest I've been.

As I'm no longer in the first flush of youth, to say the least, I treat cycling as a form of gentle exercise. I'm sure that it must be doing me good!

DM

I am thinking of early morning along Dongtan Beach then up one of the various sois to Pratamnak Road and back down to Dongtan. Usually you will encounter limited traffic with only a few lunatics. :)

That's the route my wife used to do except in reverse, Pratumnak-Dongtan-Jomtien-Dongtran-Pratumnak, about 10kms. She was warned by locals about the dangers of Dongtan Beach part though, whether real or perceived.

Also she did the Buddha Hill excercise park and that had many kateoys on it.

I'd suggest going down the road past Royal Cliff and then down to the lighthouse and along the waterfront and then turn around and come back the same way.

Or even the roads around Cosy Beach are quiet and devoid of suspicious characters.

If you just want a short ride, try Pratumnak Hill a few times each day. I got my wife started in mountain biking by riding up there every day for nearly a month. If you ride off road, there are loads of great trails in the Hills behind Pattaya. It's quick drying sand so even after rain the surfaces are rideable. If you ride a road bike and cannot find somewhere to ride already then you are beyond help!

By the way. I agree with you on the walkman. I could never imagine riding with a walkman. Losing your ears gives you a major awareness disadvantage.

Edited by nidge

"cycling, the roads over on the 'Dark Side' of Pattaya . . almost total lack of reliable maps, once you get east of Suk . . You may tend to get a bit lost . . The tracks often only lead to someone's shack - usually with a large dog in attendance"

Hmmm . . . sounds like an ADVENTURE . . . I'd recommend packing a GPS with video map, a couple of cans of pepper-spray, a machete, a few liters of water, two mobile phones with several emergency numbers on their main display, and two of those VERY LOUD aerosol boat horns in the event that everything else fails . . . :)

Hmmm . . . sounds like an ADVENTURE . . . I'd recommend packing a GPS with video map, a couple of cans of pepper-spray, a machete, a few liters of water, two mobile phones with several emergency numbers on their main display, and two of those VERY LOUD aerosol boat horns in the event that everything else fails . . . :)

A GPS is a good idea although not vital. Video map or any type of map is totally unnecessary as the GPS will tell you where you started from and most trails will not be marked on a map. Water is important too. Pepper spray, machete and boat horns? I think you spend too much time watchingthe cartoon channel and eating sugary snacks! I've been riding off road in Thailand for 8 years and in my experience the best tool to use for a dog is a dried dogfood stick. Failing that, a swift kick it good enough. Try it, you might be very surprised. The biggest danger while riding in Thailand are cars, motorbikes that don't look or don't care.