I'm Off Thai Girls And Fancy Farangs Again...

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Love is the delusion that one woman differs from another."  :D  :o

So, according to your quote and by implication your beliefs, all women are the same. You've voiced this belief numerous times on this forum. And yet I'm sure that you believe you are quite a unique, talented individual.

Here is breaking news: many women do not choose a mate based on his income, social status, or job performance. There is such a thing as personal power, which stands on its own. But of course, you cannot recognize this point without re-evaluating your "philosophy" about what women want.

And here is a bit of common sense: if you use money and false power to attract a mate, then you will attract the people who value those traits. But you cannot extrapolate this to say "all" women or "all" men this or that, because you are merely discussing a self-selecting sample, including yourself.

QUOTE(LivinLOS @ 2005-04-05 12:01:53)

I dont think black / indian / etc come under 'farang' terminology..

You're right - the term for them in Thai is "Kaack"

I know some black people who refer themselves as farang, but Thais don't.

Blacks are not termed 'kaek'.

Kaek are from India, pakistan etc, and Arab countries.

People from Brazil are termed farang, even the black ones, if the thai person knows they are from Brazil, which more often that not , they don't.

people say my daughter looks like "kaek khao", white Indian which is not surprising as she has big eyes like an Indian, and her mother is a look kreung kaek. her father is a very white Scotsman.

I've been called "Farang", by more than one Thai person, even though ethnically, I'm definitely African American ( most people asume I'm either Peurto Rican or Dominican ..)

I don't know if they were joking with me , or the fact I don't look like what a "Black" person is supposed to look like in Thailand.... but after a few days in the hot Thailand sun, I definitely get very black! :o

Hey, I haven't been here in a while, It's nice to see you still here, Scampy! :D

Interesting comment, I suppose so, what other name can you give them, if they are black and from Europe or the States. "Blarang"

(I am in know way being racist, but its a very valid point).

What about Africans, do Thais  distinguish between western sounding people and Africans?

Scamp perhaps you should put out a topic on this one, perhaps we might get an answer from a Thai person

Black people are referred to as "khon dam" (คนดำ) or "negro" (นิโกร) - please note that this is not meant to be racist or negative, it's just the word they think is to be used -. I don't think most Thais really distinguish between American/European blacks and Africans, except maybe when it's obvious that the African doesn't speak much English and can't communicate every effectively.

But for some reason when referring to a group that includes both light-skinned and blacks, the group is collectively called"farang".

Edited by siamesekitty

Black people are referred to as "khon dam" (คนดำ) or "negro" (นิโกร) - please note that this is not meant to be racist or negative, it's just the word they think is to be used -. I don't think most Thais really distinguish between American/European blacks and Africans, except maybe when it's obvious that the African doesn't speak much English and can't communicate every effectively.

Are you Thai?

Most Thais are racist towards Blacks. I have heard some say they are not but just don't want to do business with them as they are 'dirty'!

I have been in two situations where people talking with me referred to balck people using the pronoun, "mun". I couldn't believe it! I know that is what Thai people use for farang when they are not there or can't speak the language. Please don't try and tell us that Thai people, in general, are not racist towards Black people.

Are you Thai?

Most Thais are racist towards Blacks. I have heard some say they are not but just don't want to do business with them as they are 'dirty'!

I have been in two situations where people talking with me referred to balck people using the pronoun, "mun". I couldn't believe it! I know that is what Thai people use for farang when they are not there or can't speak the language. Please don't try and tell us that Thai people, in general, are not racist towards Black people.

Yes I'm Thai, though I admit I might not be an accurate representative of the general Thai population, as I spent a significantly large part of my life abroad. I'm not trying to say that Thai people, in general, are not racist; unfortunately racism does exist to a certain extent, though it might not be overtly prevalent.

What I meant by "Black people are referred to as "khon dam" (คนดำ) or "negro" (นิโกร) - please note that this is not meant to be racist or negative, it's just the word they think is to be used -." is that the words "khon dam" and "negro" in Thai are not to be considered dirty words; they are not racist words like "nigger" (pardon me for that, I needed an example) or other derogatory words that I can't think of (and would prefer not to think of) for the moment.

Edited by siamesekitty

and I'd also like to apologize for any ignorant racist Thais you happen to encounter here. Racism is a problem throughout the world, borne of ignorance. However, there isn't much education about that here in Thailand, unlike in places like the States where the message against racism is communicated through the education system, the press, and the media. A lot of people here don't really feel it's "wrong", unlike in western countries where the norm is political-correctness.

So sorry for any of that you get here, as well as whatever confusion I caused as well. :o

Hello Kitty :o

I appreciate your post. Please don't feel sorry yourself for other people's ignorance. Actually, I am not bothered by racism now. I have a couple of black frineds who unfortunately have had a lot of problems, resulting in one having to go back to his home country.

My wife is Thai/Indian and has had a couple of minor situations.

It just kinda pisses me off when I hear farang speak about how ALL Thai people are so friendly when they are not. The good Thai people make up for the ignorant.

NN

Hello Kitty :o

It just kinda pisses me off when I hear farang speak about how ALL Thai people are so friendly when they are not. The good Thai people make up for the ignorant.

NN

I agree with your point but good and bad exist in all societies. It is not just a Thai thing, although I hear many farangs falling for "well they are smiling so they all must be nice"

Personally I would much rather have everyone smiling at me and saying bad things behind my back than everyone going around with a scowl on the face.

I don't give a toss what peple might or might not say behind my back but seeing the smiles makes for a better atmosphere same way a nice blue sky in winter is far preferable to the grey overcast winter days. It just makes one feel better.

My first wife was Indian. I took her to live in the UK in the mid 80's. I can honestly say we suffered racism ever day we lived there. I was shocked at its depth and I will never look at the UK in the same way again

Hey, I haven't been here in a while, It's nice to see you still here, Scampy!

I was away a while too, I've returned and I've got loads of new enemies so nice to see you too buddy... Where's your avatar gone?

Yes I'm Thai, though I admit I might not be an accurate representative of the general Thai population, as I spent a significantly large part of my life abroad. I'm not trying to say that Thai people, in general, are not racist; unfortunately racism does exist to a certain extent, though it might not be overtly prevalent.

Asian's in general are racist according to 'He who must not be named' - however, there are some very open minded and charming Thai's out there who have not picked up unsavoury 'farangisms' or unpleasant traits during their time abroad.

Siamesekitty appears to be one of them and I wish her all the best in keeping her dogs from howling at night. :o

Thai hate dark skin, regardless of ethnicity.

They adore "Kaek kow"--That's the category I happen to fall into the first ten years of my life.

I met a girl in Oregon three years ago. Her mom is Caucasian farang, her dad Thai. She has a medium beige skin tone and a larger frame.

She told me that as a kid people would tell her that she coould not possibly be her mom's daughter and would call her "I-kaek" and "I-kaek chuk" (her mom used to roll her hair into a bun). That's a very sad story....

Thais hate dark skin, regardless of ethnicity.

They adore "Kaek kow"--That's the category I happen to fall into the first ten years of my life.

I met a girl in Oregon three years ago. Her mom is Caucasian farang, her dad Thai. She has a medium beige skin tone and a larger frame.

She told me that as a kid people would tell her that she coould not possibly be her mom's daughter and would call her "I-kaek" and "I-kaek chuk" (her mom used to roll her hair up in a bun). That's a very sad story....Of course I have thai friends who are not racist, and not painstakinly PC either.

Yeah Racism exists everywhere, and yeah farangs don't usually the right-in-the-face kind here, but i know of someone who gets it growing up in Hawaii.

Peace

What happened when you were 10?

Did you start sun-bathing?

Using skin-whitener? :o

My wife is often mistaken for my daughter's baby sitter!

A big difference in skin colour.

Asian's in general are racist according to 'He who must not be named' - however, there are some very open minded and charming Thai's out there who have not picked up unsavoury 'farangisms' or unpleasant traits during their time abroad.

Siamesekitty appears to be one of them and I wish her all the best in keeping her dogs from howling at night.  :o

LOL, thanks Scamp. :D (though it's actually only one dog and the problem is during the day, not night. She must miss my charm while I'm away at work. :D)

After about 11 or 12, my skin became dark... Can't quite figure out whether it was the chlorine or the sun... was out in the pools and soccer fields alot... They didn't have whitenning stuff then except maybe those kuan-im...While the parents of my Chinese friends were doing all sorts of things to make sure their daughters' skin stay light, my parents didn't bother. Anyway, at around 12 and 13, I was using a lot of talc... Glad I got over that....

My mom was considered really beautiful here in her younger days even though she's been dark all along...Those days, Mon-rudee Yamapai was considered the hottest star, and she's dark.. Thais were watching Indian movies then too and Hema Malinee was well-liked then, and her skin isn't all that light... I think people aren't as nice as they use to be in general la....can't really blame anyone for that. I hope it doesn't bother your wife too much being mistaken for a baby-sitter.

What happened when you were 10?

Did you start sun-bathing?

Using skin-whitener? :o

My wife is often mistaken for my daughter's baby sitter!

A big difference in skin colour.

It all started when I went to Cambodia for three weeks to stay with friends - It was definately Khmer ladies that initialy dampened my mojo upon my arrival, not that they were all mingers but it is a dodgy, demented and desperate place is Phnom Penh.

Anyway, the Danish girl I met after a few days turned out to be one of the best femele friends I've ever had and more - she was also very good looking and most amazingly - she enjoyed my company.  :D

From Scampy's journal...

THURSDAY MARCH 31st - HEART OF DARKNESS - PHNOM PENH - CAMBODIA - 2am.

The place, was, as usual full of horny, drunk backpackers dancing with prostitutes who had danced with many a horny backpacker and sucessfully relieved them of $20 a few hours later.

I was at the bar with Maria from Denmark, knocking back mudslides until she'd had enough to tell me how she felt about me and I'd had enough to tell her it was mutual... It was a wonderful feeling, I'd not got on this well with anyone for years and now it would soon be over and things had to be said.

Since being back in Bangkok after Cambodia, I've found myself more attracted to farang girls and less interested in Thai's - I've since met an English woman I'd like to see again, and a very nice Australian girl with huge tits.  :o

Is this a phaze I'm going through or have I come to realize that in three years, I haven't found what I need in a Thai girl?  :D

its like dinner......you don't eat the same meal every day do ye :D

for me its simple, in asia its more sex than communication, in paris its nice tall black africans, in brazil sexy olive colored rambo's, in eastern europe the white shagging skins :D

the answer is that your problem is normal, so enjoy it while you can, too much talk can get boring too after a while :D

The sense of aesthetics favouring lighter skin to darker skin is prevalent, and the people at large here has come to accept that mainstream sense of aesthetics... Perhaps it's trhe Chinese influence, but you just really can't look at it from that angle... While Eurasians/ luek kreungs are looked down upon in many Asian countries today, they are well-accepted here...At one point, not too many years ago, you can only see leuk kreungs on T.V.... Then the public kinda got bored seeing only leuk kruengs, so they started making celebs out of Thai-Chinese.. . I guess, once, people get bored of whitenning lotion and and the White look, they'll start doing a search for brown stars.

quote=The Gentleman Scamp,2005-04-11 08:53:20]

What kind of sick and screwed up culture gave them the idea that white skin is better than dark? :o

Are you Thai?

Are you Thai?

What I meant by "Black people are referred to as "khon dam" (คนดำ) or "negro" (นิโกร) - please note that this is not meant to be racist or negative, it's just the word they think is to be used -." is that the words "khon dam" and "negro" in Thai are not to be considered dirty words; they are not racist words like "nigger" (pardon me for that, I needed an example) or other derogatory words that I can't think of (and would prefer not to think of) for the moment.

Thank you both, for your posts.

"Love is the delusion that one woman differs from another."   :D   :o

So, according to your quote and by implication your beliefs, all women are the same. You've voiced this belief numerous times on this forum. And yet I'm sure that you believe you are quite a unique, talented individual.

Everybody is a unique, talented individual. In that, we are all the same.

Here is breaking news:  many women do not choose a mate based on his income, social status, or job performance.  There is such a thing as personal power, which stands on its own.  But of course, you cannot recognize this point without re-evaluating your "philosophy" about what women want.
Not breaking news at all: All depends on how we 'define' Personal power? Women are also attracted to self-confidence in a man, self-assurance etc etc which is still a 'power'.
And here is a bit of common sense:  if you use money and false power to attract a mate, then you will attract the people who value those traits.  But you cannot extrapolate this to say "all" women or "all" men this or that, because you are merely discussing a self-selecting sample, including yourself.

Not self-selecting... but blanket... in that, the first sentance of this parragraph is correct. We reap what we sow. All of us.

Rav - if you chat up women with a $100 dollar bill, or cite a survey conducted on the premises of a shopping mall, which subsequently concludes that most women value a man's Rolex above all else - you are referring to a self-selecting sample that is skewed toward the question in the first place.