A Slice Of Pai

getgoin

What is the big attraction of Pai besides the obvious drug scene? Why are the Thai's building the resorts and the hotels? Is it that cool or is it another case of some rich Thai building something that no one will ever stay at, except when it is a busy time.

Have you been to Pai? Why?

What is the big attraction of Pai besides the obvious drug scene? Why are the Thai's building the resorts and the hotels? Is it that cool or is it another case of some rich Thai building something that no one will ever stay at, except when it is a busy time.

I never quite understood the attraction of Pai. It's not as pretty as most other destinations in the North and Lao but I guess it has an attractive scene happening for some types of travellers. It's got more music going on than say Vang Vieng for instance.

As for the Thais warming to the area I think that's related to a film that was shot there about five years back.

Lots of farang there; seems a bit strange to be in a rather removed town in No. Thailand, and 3 out of 5 people on the street are from some other country.

Lots of BKK Thai tourists, too. :)

I guess the nightlife scene is pretty vibrant- lots of jazz and rock and reggae. Which I like. :D

I'll take Nan or MHS or Chiang Rai any day, even though they don't have the (farang) nightlife- just my 25 satang. :D

Supposedly, it's the hot springs that are the big attraction. We didn't visit the hotsprings because I've been to too many hotsprings in Canada. The thing I liked most about the Pai trip was the ride there over the high mountain pass with all the switch back turns on the road. You ride right along the top of the mountain with the Thai scenery dropping off to both sides. We went there to explore fishing opportunities in the river, but didn't find much or anyone who knew anything about the fishing.

Supposedly, it's the hot springs that are the big attraction. We didn't visit the hotsprings because I've been to too many hotsprings in Canada. The thing I liked most about the Pai trip was the ride there over the high mountain pass with all the switch back turns on the road. You ride right along the top of the mountain with the Thai scenery dropping off to both sides. We went there to explore fishing opportunities in the river, but didn't find much or anyone who knew anything about the fishing.

It certainly isn't the hot springs. Until recently it was 300 baht for Farangs to go in and as a result the place was deserted. I think it is 100 baht now and still very quiet.

No, Pai is the Khao San road of the North. A haven for ageing hippies and dope-heads to 'chill out'.

It certainly isn't the hot springs. Until recently it was 300 baht for Farangs to go in and as a result the place was deserted. I think it is 100 baht now and still very quiet.

No, Pai is the Khao San road of the North. A haven for ageing hippies and dope-heads to 'chill out'.

I think the hotsprings were the ORIGINAL attraction, Kevin. But, once a hippy-like community got started, with enough amenities to make things comfortable, it just grew from there. It's kind of like Koh Pha Ngan in the south where the full moon party became popular. There are lots of beautiful islands, but Koh Pha Ngan got the reputation of the place to visit for the young, hippy crowd. The family groups chose Hua Hin instead until it grew into a touristy trap.

What is the big attraction of Pai besides the obvious drug scene?

I think that is most of it. Now that the police have clamped down on that, the place is not so popular. However, due to a well known Thai movie that was shot there, Thai travelers fill the place up on weekends.

I never quite understood the attraction of Pai. It's not as pretty as most other destinations in the North and Lao but I guess it has an attractive scene happening for some types of travellers. It's got more music going on than say Vang Vieng for instance.

As for the Thais warming to the area I think that's related to a film that was shot there about five years back.

Didn't see the film, BUT did see where they shoot tourists in Pai with impunity :)

Was there last week but only for a night. Used to love the place as it has a nice setting on the river in a valley and is only a couple/three hours from Chiang Mai, plus was also laid back. Now there's three 7-11s, expensive resorts, and the main street and bus station street are lined with market stalls and millions of Thai visitors. Not into the hippie scene, but it was just nice to amble about before amid the mountains in a place that was totally different to the Thai norm and no hassles. One good thing today regarding its popularity is that the roads have largely been sorted so you can really get the bike down on those corners. I still rank it above the likes of MHS, which is a bit of a non-entity, but won't be going back for a bit as it seems to have lost character.

I like it; it's different from ang other rural place in the North. And Thai tourists like it too, it's strange for such a small place to have such an international vibe, but then in a boutiqey way, not a mass tourism way.

So anyway, that's who all the resorts are for. It's good for Chiang Mai tourism, as Pai is accessed easier from Chiang Mai.

I like it; it's different from ang other rural place in the North. And Thai tourists like it too, it's strange for such a small place to have such an international vibe, but then in a boutiqey way, not a mass tourism way.

So anyway, that's who all the resorts are for. It's good for Chiang Mai tourism, as Pai is accessed easier from Chiang Mai.

Have to agree on the charm of Pai and easier accessed from Chiang Mai particularly by using SGA Airlines. I'll put that road up against Lombard St in San Francisco any day as the worlds crookedest. :)

Was there last week but only for a night. Used to love the place as it has a nice setting on the river in a valley and is only a couple/three hours from Chiang Mai, plus was also laid back. Now there's three 7-11s, expensive resorts, and the main street and bus station street are lined with market stalls and millions of Thai visitors. Not into the hippie scene, but it was just nice to amble about before amid the mountains in a place that was totally different to the Thai norm and no hassles. One good thing today regarding its popularity is that the roads have largely been sorted so you can really get the bike down on those corners. I still rank it above the likes of MHS, which is a bit of a non-entity, but won't be going back for a bit as it seems to have lost character.

I haven't been there for close on ten years but Jack's review confirms what I imagined it would become so I probably won't bother again.

I always find Chiang Rai and Mae Hong Song a bit dull as well, my Northern Thai trip of choice is always Mae Salong and its surroundings, Chiang Dao a closer to home second.

I went there a few months ago with my girlfriend, and it was nice and laid-back at our resort. We had our own hot tub with a view of the river, and it was nice to sit and watch the mahouts bringing their elephants back and forth through the river.

I don't like the downtown area, I'll agree that that part is like a northern version of Khao San, (although it is amusing to watch the antics of these clueless backpackers). The attitude of the locals downtown is understandably quite negative, but they assume that every foreigner is a backpacker, so rudeness is common.

Outside of downtown is a different story. Coffee in Love has a great view, and because it was in that movie, my girlfriend was eager to go. Their coffee is good so I was happy. We went to the hotsprings and the waterfalls which were nice (you should check out some Thai hotsprings Ian, they aren't as smelly our sulfurous, Canadian ones are!), but I think both attractions were nicer and cleaner in Suan Pheung (near the Myanmar border, 2.5 hours from BKK). We also went to the canyons (similar to the badlands in Alberta) for a hike and some photos.

The Chinese village was only somewhat interesting, mainly because of the food, and watching the Chinese tourists lap up the "made for tourism" environment. We made merit at a few different Wats in the area, which was very enjoyable. The people there were all very kind, and surprised to see a foreigner who could communicate (a little) and knew the proper prayers and traditions.

All in all, I enjoyed it. I think if you keep away from downtown, (although there was a good seafood place near the river), and the more heavily touristed areas, Pai can be a nice low-key get away from the bustle of Bangkok.

I think that good memories is what Pai was to a lot of us who have been here for a goodly number of years. Some years back Pai used to give that special feeling of a little Bohemian village, where those of us not hippies could escape and make believe we were and no one would be the wiser. A special feeling type of hide-a way.

But then there comes evolution, progress, change , whichever may fit the bill best in your mind, and it happened ..... Pai did change.

We liked it so much, that we told all our freinds about it,,,,,,, they tried it, and liking it told there friends and ....... voila.... it got too popular.... accommodation sprung up to fill the need but the services did not keep up. Too many people discovered Pai.

It just lost the feeling of that Bohemian Village, at least to me.

With all the new arrivals low and behold ...... Boink..... an AIRPORT was put in....that did it for me....

Some change people like...... some change people do not like...... I didn't like what happened to Pai.. It ruined the memory I had of my own little personal hideaway.

The airport made access a lot easier for those in BKK. Just too much for me.

Unless absloutely necessary, I won't be going back any time soon. I would rather keep my memory of Pai the way it was.....

........... and that boys and girls is a byproduct of getting old. Now to sit under the tree in my front yard, with my glass of prune juice and my pipe , displaying that mile away stare of the senior citizen and display a snide smirk,,,,,, and let all who see me wonder what >>>>>>> ?????? is that old bast*rd remembering...

================

As an aside, does anyone know where there are prunes for sale in CM

Start a poll " who has the best prunes in Chiang Mai"

gonzo

When I asked this exact question to a reiki healer (an English woman based in Pai for years), she told me that the attraction to Pai was its spiritual energy which resulted from the type of rocks found in the surrounding mountains. There is one theory. I can't say I buy that, but I do think there is a nice laid back feeling to the place. I even managed to feel this way when i went during the king's birthday, which was on a friday last year. There were so many Thai tourists, that I hardly saw farang faces and felt as though I was in a lightening storm with all the pictures being taken. Some of the business owners that cater to the farang taste were a bit worried about this shift in tourist demographic, especially since the farang tourists that came that weekend could find no where to stay and they had to move on.

I digress - sorry. What I personally love about Pai is the food, the annual reggae festival, the size, the silly little things you can buy there and the amount of outdoor activities to take on in the surrounding areas. The hippies are easily ignored, although I find the old Thai hippies pretty amusing.

We just had 3 nights in Pai going up ,from CM,in the air con mini bus which seats about 18 people.Cost 150 b each,no need to take the car. Stayed at Rim-Pai Cottages which is right in town and on the river. As it is a fair slice of land the garden/river setting was delightful and quiet. We paid 800 baht per night for a teak, A frame cabin and that included a very nice breakfast, so dont see that it is overpriced at all. The staff most of who have been there a long time were very friendly and nothing was a problem for them to attend too especially during a prolonged black out. Rented a brand new Honda automatic bike for 100 b for 24 hours and did the surrounding countryside and dined at some really good restaurants. The problem I see with Pai is that the franchise food places will soon follow and it is in danger of being overcrowded in peak times. See it while you can as we will again in the near future.

........... and that boys and girls is a byproduct of getting old. Now to sit under the tree in my front yard, with my glass of prune juice and my pipe , displaying that mile away stare of the senior citizen and display a snide smirk,,,,,, and let all who see me wonder what >>>>>>> ?????? is that old bast*rd remembering...

gonzo

Me too, gonzo. Nothing better than sitting there in the shade with a big smile on my face, while watching the young folks play.

Ian_Bom.jpg

Pai is a wee bit schizophrenic now, catering to the usual travelers from western countries, but nowadays the bkk thais too.

Bangkok companies came in, bought up land, and built bkk style resorts. Bkk people came up to open businesses and shops. Locals, friendly people, were being taken over by capitalcityitis.

But pai is still a top top place for nature lovers. Still plenty of the old haunts out of town a km or two, great places to stay and relax and be in nature. Lots of fantastic walks, some along streams right in the heart of the mountains. A paradise for cyclists. A great vibe that is still to be found around pai, but much less in town which seems more and more bkk thais working there.

A healthy place to spend time i'd say as well. Good food, lots of healthy activities to be doing, lots of great natural drinks available.

The town may change, but around it change is far slower.

• 2 weeks later...
Lots of farang there; seems a bit strange to be in a rather removed town in No. Thailand, and 3 out of 5 people on the street are from some other country.

Lots of BKK Thai tourists, too. :)

I guess the nightlife scene is pretty vibrant- lots of jazz and rock and reggae. Which I like. :D

I'll take Nan or MHS or Chiang Rai any day, even though they don't have the (farang) nightlife- just my 25 satang. :D[/qu

Edited by hmficc

gonzo

Me too, gonzo. Nothing better than sitting there in the shade with a big smile on my face, while watching the young folks play.

Ian_Bom.jpg

I like your style Ian..... When you get to a certain age, its only seems right that we have someone help us stare and think.

PS Ian where is your other hand....???

gonzo

Ian_Bom.jpg

I like your style Ian..... When you get to a certain age, its only seems right that we have someone help us stare and think.

PS Ian where is your other hand....???

Firmly around his wallet

Around his wallet .... very good

Though it seems that this is a habit , Ian that old devil has..... seems to me that I posted something to that same end , about a year ago . It was drawing attention to that same habit when Ian was doing some funtime with a snakecharmer. Cobra skin wallet as I remember...

:)

Pai does have some character, different from other places I have been in Thailand. Its not really my kind of place though... its just a villiage in Thailand. Yes they have hilltribe people but so do most other villiages in northern Thailand. A few years ago there was a property boom, people investing loads of money. Big bubble about to burst, probably has already. At the end of the day Pai is just a little villiage, nothing special.. they have a river (so what), hot springs (muddy puddle smells like bad eggs have to pay money to go there, waters so toxic it turns silver black and silver is meant to be an inert non reactive metal, cant imagine its healthy although some hippies think so), theres a canyon... thats pretty cool... (send me a post card). Lots of pubs with bands and bohemian hippie types.. Trust-a-farians (rastafarians with trust funds, plus regular losers, some nice people too... but the feeling of the place is a bit eletist if you dont have the right hippie clothes you arent IN. Many rude isralies and apparently the local muslim community is being forced out, land prices forced many locals out of town and now the land they sold 10 years ago is worth 100 times what they sold for.

If you need a change, Doi Mae Salong is really quiet and has plenty of Chinese food and beautiful scenery. :)

Sounds interesting. What's the best way to get there and do you have any hotel recommendation? Must-try restaurant? Thanks.

I always go by the Mai Sai bus. It is halfway between Chiang Rai and Mai Sai and you just ask the conductors to let you off where the sonteaws wait and they bring you up the mountain.

There are very cheap guest houses- you do not need aircon at that altitude - or a few resorts. Eating off the street is great or for a nice Chinese meal, eat at the resort at the very top of the hill.