Cowhides For Mr. Wiggle!

soidog2

Just to give a comparison you could check google for deer skins in the US. I used to buy same tanned, excellent quality to make jackets, shirts etc. for about 30. us each. There used to be a couple leather shops on Suk. in Bangkok who had cow hides in various thickness for their business. Used to get chaps made with good quality zippers I brought from US. There is one leather shop I know of in CM who would have or could get probably what you wanted.

I havent a clue what they are worth - if I am not mistaken Wiggle was looking for a hyde with fur on it - thats the impression i got, but I could be completly wrong, maybe he is looking for a so-called treated leather hyde.

I haven't a clue what they are worth in Thailand. Thailand by the way processes thousands of hydes every day. There is a huge hyde processing industry to support the footwear trade and its based mainly in the Samut Prakan area just outside Bangkok.

I have a sofa in the house covered with a piebold type cow skin that we purchased in Thailand many years ago, can;t remeber the price of that, but the cow skin rug we have on the floor cost about around Baht 600 (from Chatuchuk market about 15 years ago).

Sorry - dont know what they cost.

Also keep in mind the guy is located in Pak Chong - he's only looking for one hyde, so I don;t think he's going to be undertaking a long journey just to get a hyde.

Its a hel_l of a job treating a raw hyde at home to get it to come out all soft and in one piece. the chemicals are ugly, it process stinks like hel_l, and they never come out as well as the commericaly processed hydes.

Cheers....yes looking for haired hides, cow skin rugs for the floor.

Looking for 2 and might get 3 or 4 if price is right for later.

We are just finishing a stone and teak wood bungalow with slate and sandstone floors, so a nice skin on them would look sweet and add to the country feel.

I am prepared to try treating my own, not hurt to try.

Also getting some sun dried ones sent to me and might experiment with one as how to rehydrate and tan or soften it to make suitable for a floor rug.

Edited by MrWiggle