Malaysian Getting Married In Thailand

Hi All

I am a Malaysian currently working and living in Thailand and am getting married to a Thai Lady. I read that I need to get a statutory declaration for the purpose of marriage from the Malaysian Embassy before getting it translated.

When I called the embassy, I was told that I have to go back to Malaysia and get this statutory declaration from the JPN (Jabatan Pendaftaran Negera) and then return here again. I think this doesn't make sense though and when I called the Songkhla consulate they told me I don't have to go back to Malaysia

Are there any Malaysians out there who got married here? I need to reconfirm ASAP as we are getting married in a month!

Thanks a lot

MD

I'm not Malaysian but I hope this will help. All forgings must have a letter of approval to marry a Thai national translated and registered with the MFA in BK The letter can be handled by most visa services for a fee. As for the letter I would never go to embassy for advice or help I have found from experience that they can be a pain in the ass since you called your consulate in Songkhlate thats your option.

The first point of contact is your Embassy to obtain said letter - it is then translated by an MFA certified translator and registered as a legal document with the MFA.

If you read the OP his embassy will not do the letter they tell him he must go back to Malaysia. His consulate in Songkhla will give him the letter. It may be a bit of a bus ride from BK with a rail strike on but it sure beats leaving the country.

Hi Guys

As Gotlost mentioned, the embassy (by phone) asked me to go to Malaysia while the Songkhla consulate is telling me otherwise, but advising me to go to the embassy for the document. My experience from dealing with persons from embassies is that they can tell conflicting things.

Sigh... perhaps the best thing would be to go to the embassy in person?

If anyone has ever had any experience, please do share!

1. Get the statutory declaration from Malaysia.

2. Get affiliation to get married abroad at Malaysian Embassy (must have Malaysian embassy stamp).

3. Get it translated.

4. Get the translation verified by MFA.

5. Go to local Amphur and get married.

This is what I has to bring to the Finnish embassy to get the letter.

* a multilingual certificate of no impediment (i.e. a certificate of capacity under Finnish law to contract marriage before a foreign authority) from the register office or parish of the place of residence

* certificate of salary in English from employer

* a reference letter with names, addresses and signatures of two Finns residing in Finland

* a passport

* the address, occupational title and district office where to be married, according to his/her own information.

Suspect you have been given wrong information by embassy over the phone, maybe due to misunderstanding, and believe consulate is correct. As said, as first step you need "Affirmation to Marry" document from the embassy; consulates cannot usually issue. Suggest you actually go to the embassy.

Yeah I checked the wording again on some websites. They clearly say that its an affirmation or affidavit. not sure if its any different from a stat dec. I guess will go in to the embassy tomorrow and check for sure.

Thanks again for all your advice!

some countries , as many of us have said before, require u to be in your home country to get the certificates from both ministery of interior and approved by ministery of foreign affairs, then translated notarized etc in the language needed either in your country or in the country u are marrying in (thailand in this case). some countries will , once u have signed and sealed permission from the authorities, issue u the affidavit in a consulate/embassy.

malaysia may have a law similar to this? especially if it is a religious governed country (not sure what malaysia has) ... that is, like in israel, we must also have a stamp from our religious offices on the 'freedom to marry' certificate and that can only be done in country, not overseas... so essentially while the consulate/embassy can issue certain certificates, the religious part, also neccessary, can only be gotten in person (or by a lawyer)in home country.

things are always easier in a non religiously governed country...

why dont u get someone to check for u in malaysia also, to get comparative information.

good luck

bina

israel

Most countries do not have such requirements and Malaysia is a non sectarian state (for the most part). I have not seen any report of a country other than yours requiring you be in that country to obtain simple paperwork to attest to your being single. But you are right that religions do often get in the way.

Edited by lopburi3

Hi All

I am a Malaysian currently working and living in Thailand and am getting married to a Thai Lady. I read that I need to get a statutory declaration for the purpose of marriage from the Malaysian Embassy before getting it translated.

When I called the embassy, I was told that I have to go back to Malaysia and get this statutory declaration from the JPN (Jabatan Pendaftaran Negera) and then return here again. I think this doesn't make sense though and when I called the Songkhla consulate they told me I don't have to go back to Malaysia

Are there any Malaysians out there who got married here? I need to reconfirm ASAP as we are getting married in a month!

Thanks a lot

MD

mrducky,

I'm Malaysia and my husband is Thai. All you have to do is follow what Malaysia Embassy tell you to do and it will not get wrong.

Malaysian citizen who want to get married in Thailand need to go down to JPN ( Jabatan Perkhawinan Negara) in PutraJaya to make a statutory declaration .

I will tell you step by step.

1. Bring along your original passport, copy of your wife passport and money to JPN in PutraJaya.

2. Tell them that you want to make statutory declaration to get marry a Thai citizen in Thailand.

3. They will give you a form to fill up on the spot. After fill up return to them.

4. Need to check with them how long you need to wait for the declaration. Some need to wait only 1 day

and some need to wait 1 week.

5. After received the declaration, go to Ministry foreign Afair in PutraJaya to certified. They will show you

where to go. You can also take bus. The station just opposite JPN.They have bus to go from JPN to MFA.

6.Once you reach there, the guard will show you which countre. You need to paid after they certified your

declaration.

7. Done. That's it after MFA. Then you can bring the declaration back to Thailand to Malayisa Embassy to

translate because need the Embassy stamp on it too.

8.After they translate, they will ask you bring the document to MFA of Thailand to certified again. Need to

paid too.

9. After certified, you can bring the document to Ampur nearby where you stay and begin register of your

marriage.

That's all you have to do. I know is troble for go back to Malaysia and I've been in this situation before. Begining is troble but at the end is easy. Think positive.

You can search the web the location of the JPN and MFA in PutraJaya and also how to go there by MRT.

If you are KL resident will be easy for you how to go there . I'm not familiar KL so I did the search.

Hope this can help you.

If you have any question you can PM me and my name is Lee.

• 1 month later...

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the information. It has been very helpful to me as I am now in the middle of preparing for the marriage registration in Thailand to a Thai lady. I have already got the Single Status Declaration from JPN and certified by MFA Malaysia. Thanks to your help.

Now, I need to ask a few questions.

1. How long it took you to get the declaration translated to thai at the Malaysia Embassy in Bangkok and how much did you pay for the translation? I called them up and they told it might take 3 days! and costs about 2000 Baht! Is it true?

2. How long it took you to get the translated docs certified by the MFA Thai and how much did you pay for the certification?

3. How long it took you to register the marriage at Amphur?

I ask all these questions because I have only about 3-4 days time to do all these before flying back home.

thanks,

Andrew

• 2 months later...
Hi All

Thanks a lot

MD

mrducky,

I'm Malaysia and my husband is Thai. All you have to do is follow what Malaysia Embassy tell you to do and it will not get wrong.

Malaysian citizen who want to get married in Thailand need to go down to JPN ( Jabatan Perkhawinan Negara) in PutraJaya to make a statutory declaration .

I will tell you step by step.

1. Bring along your original passport, copy of your wife passport and money to JPN in PutraJaya.

2. Tell them that you want to make statutory declaration to get marry a Thai citizen in Thailand.

3. They will give you a form to fill up on the spot. After fill up return to them.

4. Need to check with them how long you need to wait for the declaration. Some need to wait only 1 day

and some need to wait 1 week.

5. After received the declaration, go to Ministry foreign Afair in PutraJaya to certified. They will show you

where to go. You can also take bus. The station just opposite JPN.They have bus to go from JPN to MFA.

6.Once you reach there, the guard will show you which countre. You need to paid after they certified your

declaration.

7. Done. That's it after MFA. Then you can bring the declaration back to Thailand to Malayisa Embassy to

translate because need the Embassy stamp on it too.

8.After they translate, they will ask you bring the document to MFA of Thailand to certified again. Need to

paid too.

9. After certified, you can bring the document to Ampur nearby where you stay and begin register of your

marriage.

That's all you have to do. I know is troble for go back to Malaysia and I've been in this situation before. Begining is troble but at the end is easy. Think positive.

You can search the web the location of the JPN and MFA in PutraJaya and also how to go there by MRT.

If you are KL resident will be easy for you how to go there . I'm not familiar KL so I did the search.

Hope this can help you.

If you have any question you can PM me and my name is Lee.

Dear Lee,

Thank you very much for your useful information.

I am Malaysian and married with a Thai lady under Thai Regulations and Law,

I shared the procedures and date, hope this will help you all.

1) 9/2/2010 – Go to JPN, Putrajaya to obtain “certificate of single status”

( Rm 5.00, photocopy of fiancé passport and photocopy of my identity card are needed)

2) 9/2/2010 – Go to Wisma Putrajaya to certify the “certificate of single status”

( Rm 10.00 needed)

3) 16/2/2010 – Go to translation office to pickup the translated “certificate of single status” in Thai language.

(525Bath, since I know the translation office so I just e-mail them before I reach Thailand, actually Embassy of Malaysia providing the translation service as well)

4) 16/2/2010 – Go to Embassy of Malaysia at Bangkok, Thailand to certify the “certificate of single status” and obtain “certificate of affirmation to marry”.

(1400 Bath, 2 referees with name, addresses and occupation are needed, the “certificate of affirmation to marry” will be translated into Thai by the Embassy.

5) 17/2/2010 - Go to Embassy of Malaysia at Bangkok, Thailand to pickup the certified “certificate of single status” and “certificate of affirmation to marry”.

6) 17/2/2010 - Go to Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Chaeng Wattana to certify the “certificate of single status” and “certificate of affirmation to marry”.

( as to submit “express” service, you need to submit before 2pm, and the document is ready on the same day. As for me I submitted the “express” service, so 1600 Bath is needed. If “normal” service is submitted, only 800 Bath is required but the document can only be pickup on 19/2/2010)

7) 18/2/2010 - Now everything is ready, lets go for marriage registration at any Khet

(As for me, I went to Khet Laksi, 30 Bath is required. Since I did not have any referees went along, so I just use the officer there as referees. No official charges for these, and just need to give any amount of money as ‘gift’ for the officer. As for me, 200 Bath was put into an envelope for them, the marriage certificate will be ready on the same day)

8) If you need the “marriage certificate in English. Just let the translation office at Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Chaeng Wattana to do the translation for you. It will be 200 Bath. Then, submit the translated document to MFA for the certification.

Now I have completed the marriage registration. GOD BLESS ME!!!!

But here comes the new question. As I know, Malaysian need to report the marriage to JPN (if held in oversea) within 6 months after marriage. Can anyone tell me what is the advantage and disadvantage (such as applying some documents) of doing so? Since need both party to appear in Malaysia, as me and my fiance has no time.